Stolen/buried cell phone. Returned to owner still working!

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a photo...it hadn't crossed my mind but wanted to post as it is interesting. The item was a nearly brand-new white iPhone.

-I was hunting a tot-lot at a park here in Peoria with the AT Pro sniper col. I was reaching under the structures and has a deep sounding high tone beneath a slide and after digging about a foot pulled out a white plastic bag holding the large item. The bag was fairly "sealed" around the item and tied, as such appeared to be intentional. I was very surprised to see what looked like an almost brand-new iPhone inside. After getting home from the hunt I plugged in the phone and it immediately began to charge up. Once there was enough juice the lock screen appeared with a lengthy message stating "You motherf*** I know you stole my phone, at your convenience please call ###-###-#### and return it to me. " (among other fairly hostile statements). Upon reading this I kind of became hesitant to even contact the person and now with it activated was dreading a car screeching into my driveway seeking revenge for their now tracked stolen phone via GPS. But that wasn't the case.. I called the number and it ended up being the family member of a person who had their car stolen late last year. The car was later found after a joy ride but all their belongings (including phone were gone). We arranged to meet up at the same park it was found and I returned the phone. I suspect the person who stole it had buried the phone until it was deactivated or whatever and planned to return at some point and retrieve it. An interesting/unexpected adventure on my end - thanks for reading.

Upvote 10

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crazy! That is an amazing adventure you had there!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job! But I can't help but imagine the criminal calling the number displayed on the stolen phone and then the stolen phone starts ringing. The criminal then picks it up and starts arguing with himself thinking the lag in speech from his own words is the victim mocking him.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a photo...it hadn't crossed my mind but wanted to post as it is interesting. The item was a nearly brand-new white iPhone.

-I was hunting a tot-lot at a park here in Peoria with the AT Pro sniper col. I was reaching under the structures and has a deep sounding high tone beneath a slide and after digging about a foot pulled out a white plastic bag holding the large item. The bag was fairly "sealed" around the item and tied, as such appeared to be intentional. I was very surprised to see what looked like an almost brand-new iPhone inside. After getting home from the hunt I plugged in the phone and it immediately began to charge up. Once there was enough juice the lock screen appeared with a lengthy message stating "You motherf*** I know you stole my phone, at your convenience please call ###-###-#### and return it to me. " (among other fairly hostile statements). Upon reading this I kind of became hesitant to even contact the person and now with it activated was dreading a car screeching into my driveway seeking revenge for their now tracked stolen phone via GPS. But that wasn't the case.. I called the number and it ended up being the family member of a person who had their car stolen late last year. The car was later found after a joy ride but all their belongings (including phone were gone). We arranged to meet up at the same park it was found and I returned the phone. I suspect the person who stole it had buried the phone until it was deactivated or whatever and planned to return at some point and retrieve it. An interesting/unexpected adventure on my end - thanks for reading.
Wow! Definitely not Your every Day Return! Glad it worked out Great for the Both of You!!! And No Crazy Car in Your driveway!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread