Stolen Gold bars Cariboo Region Of BC

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I read an article about some stolen gold bars from around the Barkerville area and when the law
caught up to the thieves the gold bars were gone and never found. I have tried to find this again and have not been able to.
By chance does anyone know where I can find it? or post the article here. Thanks in advance....

Also any other lost mines, treasure stories etc from the Cariboo region of British Columbia would be would be appreciated if they were posted.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might find it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Trails_and_Ghost_Towns
or contact these people and see if they can help you.
Don......

Thanks Don, the Gold Trails and Ghost Towns videos are a great collection of the local history. I always watched them on TV when the show was live
and taped years ago. Many are now on you tube. The one story on the stolen golds bars are not in the video series and still eludes me...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's another source that references Barkerville. By the way, you'll see the name Daryl Friesen in that article. Daryl is a member of TNet; although I haven't seen any of his posts in years. If you can find him, he may be of help; and please say Hello to him for me if you hook up.
Treasure and Gold Prospecting leads in British Columbia
Don........

Wildhorse

Jan 27, 2021
Clinton
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago I read an article about some stolen gold bars from around the Barkerville area and when the law
caught up to the thieves the gold bars were gone and never found. I have tried to find this again and have not been able to.
By chance does anyone know where I can find it? or post the article here. Thanks in advance....

Also any other lost mines, treasure stories etc from the Cariboo region of British Columbia would be would be appreciated if they were posted.

I believe you are talking about the Scottie Creek treasure....I have forgotten most of the facts, but I do remember that the suspect Stagecoach robber, or Highwayman was arrested around cache creek or Scottie creek, then released due to lack of evidence.
I live in the Scottie creek area, and the legend of the lost gold is well known here.
- the robbery did happen
- the iron box was never recovered by authorities
- it did contain gold ingot transported from Barkerville
- the suspect, who’s name escapes me, was released,....at which point a reasonable person would assume he would retrieve the gold....but nobody knows.
- there is a family story the thief died a poor man later on......so you do have that to hope for.
- there was also a detail in the account of the arrest that it was determined the iron box couldn’t be very far up Scottie Creek.

If the gold is still out there, and that area is as rugged as you could get....now would be the time to search, as the 2017 wildfires completely burned the entire eco-system to the ground, exposing everything.
The geological area is vast, with deep glacial canyons dug into volcanic rock.....I know of five people who have vanished in that area over the last twenty years.
There is one large Ranch up there, run by people named Hunter.....don’t go on his land, and don’t piss him off.
Good luck, I will try to find some literature on that story if your interested.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Wildhorse,
Welcome to treasurenet !!
Since 'Cariboo5' has not been on this thread for nearly a year, you might consider sending him a Private Message if he doesn't respond to your posting in a reasonable period of time.
Don....

Wildhorse

Jan 27, 2021
Clinton
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wildhorse,
Welcome to treasurenet !!
Since 'Cariboo5' has not been on this thread for nearly a year, you might consider sending him a Private Message if he doesn't respond to your posting in a reasonable period of time.
Don....

Ok thank you
Still learning about this site, as I’m a greenhorn round here.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you are talking about the Scottie Creek treasure....I have forgotten most of the facts, but I do remember that the suspect Stagecoach robber, or Highwayman was arrested around cache creek or Scottie creek, then released due to lack of evidence.
I live in the Scottie creek area, and the legend of the lost gold is well known here.
- the robbery did happen
- the iron box was never recovered by authorities
- it did contain gold ingot transported from Barkerville
- the suspect, who’s name escapes me, was released,....at which point a reasonable person would assume he would retrieve the gold....but nobody knows.
- there is a family story the thief died a poor man later on......so you do have that to hope for.
- there was also a detail in the account of the arrest that it was determined the iron box couldn’t be very far up Scottie Creek.

If the gold is still out there, and that area is as rugged as you could get....now would be the time to search, as the 2017 wildfires completely burned the entire eco-system to the ground, exposing everything.
The geological area is vast, with deep glacial canyons dug into volcanic rock.....I know of five people who have vanished in that area over the last twenty years.
There is one large Ranch up there, run by people named Hunter.....don’t go on his land, and don’t piss him off.
Good luck, I will try to find some literature on that story if your interested.

Thanks for your reply Wildhorse. I am a bit late as I have not been here for a quite some time as pointed out by Mackaydon. The gold bars I am referring to is a different treasure than the Scottie creek treasure. The Scottie Creek treasure is very interesting in itself. The stolen loot I am inquiring about was hidden not far from Barkerville as the thieves did not get very far and ended up in jail. The gold has never been recovered....

Welcome to Treasurenet Wildhorse ...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread