Stolen jewelry in the sand....Maui style

Karma Guy

Nov 12, 2006
Kirkland, Wa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I'm new to the forum and haven't had anything recent to post but under the "best finds" category I can't beat this story, at least not yet.

My family and I traveled to Maui for a little R&R in February and as I can't sit in the louge chair for 6 straight days I brought along my detector so I could help pay for the trip. My inlaws came along as built in baby sitters for the 2 little pool sharks that I can claim as mine.

The first day I went south along the beach and spent 2 hours finding absolutely nothing, no bottle caps, fishing weights, pop tops etc. The beach was incredibly clean; I even thought my detector had bit the dust on the 5 hour flight over it was so bad. I finally gave up and decided to let my kids try and drown me in the pool and for the next few days didn't venture on to the beach. I finally had enough laying around so I decided to head north up the beach. After a short distance I picked up a few coins and some bottle caps so I was encouraged that my efforts were going to start paying off. After a short distance I started to weave in and out of lounge chairs that were placed on the beach and thinking this would be a good area to hunt. Little did I know that I was about to stumble on a find that still makes my heart skip a beat just thinking about it. In between 2 chairs my detector screamed real hard and sharp over a pretty big area of about 20" in diameter. I started to dig with my scoop and soon started to think that I was about to uncover some old anchor chain, half-rack of empties, drain pipe from the hotel. I kept digging as I had nothing else better to do; soon I was down about 18" and started to get on my knees to dig deeper. I gave my scoop one more swing in the pit and it hit something hard and metallic sounding. I looked in the hole and notice a white colored "V" shaped object that looked like trash....oh great some trash from a beach luau and I find it...neat! I reach down and pull it out and it's not trash but one of those jewelry store display placards that holds the earings and pendants at an angle in the display cabinet. The reason I new this is that there was still necklaces attached to it. My heart started pumping and I started to sweat even more and I thought Wooo Hoooo, I finally hit the motherload. It was about then that I realized that there were little white tags attached to every piece of jewelry and as I looked in the hole there was all kinds of loose necklaces, pendants, earings, bracelts etc. I started to pull handfulls of jewelry out of this hole and every single piece had a tag on it. My heart sank but I thought maybe there'll be a reward. By this time I realize there's people walking by but nobody stopped by to see what I was doing as clearly this ended up being a big hole. I'm sure everyone was thinking..."Another idiot pulling up bottle caps". I then started to get a little nervous as clearly this was all "hot" jewelry and not knowing if someone was watching me or who knows what. There was so much jewelry that I didn't have anything to put it in. My swimming trunks had a small pocket and my scoop couldn't hold that much, so there I was stuffing my shorts with stolen jewelry filled with sand, I crammed my scoop with the rest and carefully walked the 100 yards back to the hotel. Needless to say people were looking at me rather strangely. I made it back to the hotel room and dumped all the loot and cleaned the sand from my shorts (kind of uncomfortable) and went to go tell my wife (and mother in law) that they can stop giving me crap about finding bottle caps on the beach. We went back to the room and looked the stuff over and she asked me if I covered the whole area. Well of course not....my shorts were rather full as it was. I decided to head on back to my spot and this time I took a plastic grocery bag with me as I wasn't sure what else I would find. Needless to say about 3 feet to either side of my first find my detector screamed just like the first find. I dug down about the same distance and found an equal size cache of jewlery just like the first hole. With my plastic bag in hand I quickly emptied both holes and double checked for any loose jewelry that I might've missed. I continued on down the beach and didn't hit anythign else so I figured I found it all.

I went back to the hotel room and put all the loot together and was about to start cleaning it when my wife said don't clean any of it as you might have to prove to the cops that you found it....good point. I decided that I was going to take pictures as no one would believe this story without pics to back it up. The cops did come out within 15 minutes and did indicate that a store was hit about 2 weeks prior and that hopefully there would be some reward. I was glad to get rid of it as I didn't want anything to do with stolen jewelry...bad karma, not good.

About 3 weeks after coming home I received a nice pendant from the jewelry store (clashes with my eyes, had to give it to my wife) and a $1,000 check from the insurance company. They indicated that I had recovered 90% what was stolen and that the retail value was about $20k. I was also able to teach my kids a valuable lesson about "finders, keepers". They didn't quite understand why I had to give up my pirate treasure to the police but we're working on that.

I naturally haven't been able to beat this find but I keep trying.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• loot06 008.jpg
    loot06 008.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,380
  • loot06 007.jpg
    loot06 007.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,368
  • loot06 009.jpg
    loot06 009.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,359
  • loot 06 010.jpg
    loot 06 010.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 2,349
  • loot 06 011.jpg
    loot 06 011.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,344
  • loot 06 012.jpg
    loot 06 012.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,345
  • nahoku slipper.jpg
    nahoku slipper.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,414

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now thats a story. congrats for being honest i think lol.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and a picture to boot ;D

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Awesome! Great finds, a wonderful story and a handsome reward to boot! Thanks for sharing!

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
imagine that! Nice going:)
I admire your integrity! I honestly don't know if I would have reported it....I like to think I would have, but I dunno if I could....some days I'm bad :(

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent story and am happy that they gave you a great reward!
Bet you were shaking when you dug that up!

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Forget the check, think about the invaluable lesson you taught the 'pool sharks'.

Heck of a find, and certainly, a wise decision to turn it in. My hat's off to you.

Thanks for sharing.

Roger

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Unbelieveable,what a find.I'm proud of you for doing the right thing.Glad you got pictures of it and a nice reward.

H

HillbillyTH

;D Karma, It's Storys like this and people like You that make me enjoy this hobby and web-site so much.
Thanks!!! Danny {The Old Hillbilly}

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Woo Hoo! What a great story! I admire and congatulate you on your integrity, you certainly have proven your good character. Well done for your honesty and I'm glad that you were rewarded. What a great example for your kids.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Wow major KUDOS to you. Great story! The sand in the shorts reminds me of St Thomas when the 4o year old boys decided to ride the waves, filled there shorts up with concal shells, uncomfortable wasn't the word! My sister in-law and I were crying we were laughing so hard watching the two of them wiggle around until they found the showers (without doors). So yes I was LMAO when you stuffed all that in your shorts, even harder when I saw all the sand stuck to the jewelery!
I am glad you did the right thing and taught the little ones some morals!

Frank C

Sep 9, 2005
N.W. Az.
Detector(s) used
Minelab P.I., Nokta vlf.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a good story, Funny thing is the thieves are still buring their loot on the beach after all these years.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story..........I'd be happy with 1000.00 too.... and peace of mind..........I think the thiefs forgot where they stashed it..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread