"STOMPN METHOD" Will Get You More coins, Less Bottle Caps With Garretts.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
"STOMP'N METHOD" Will Get You More coins, Less Bottle Caps With Garretts.

I accidentally discovered a way to distinguish old rusty bottle caps from coins also reading as bottle caps. I was hunting some real old parks, just loaded with old rusty bottle caps several years ago, and was ready to give up as many others had. Something was strange about those bottle caps? Once they were out of the ground, most would remained sounding like bottle caps. But, the odd one, after missing it the first time with my digger trying to retrieve it, changed from reading as a bottle cap to reading as a coin, either copper or silver. Why? My guess is that the copper or silver coins over time developed a layer of oxides around itself in the soil matrix. Some people have called it the "HALO EFFECT". And this developed layer changed the original conductivity from reading as a coin to now reading as a bottle cap. Well, if a person could break this halo while the coin was in it's original lost position, the conductivity should change it from reading as a bottle cap to reading as a coin.

So, I spent the next hour stomping real hard on top of my bottle cap readings, and low and behold, out of some thirty bottle cap hits, 3 of them changed there conductivity from reading as a bottle cap to a coin reading. I dug them and out came 3 old silver coins. I was ecstatic! I broke the code....

So, in summary, if you don't want to dig all targets, or end up in a very old area littered with those old bottle caps, stomp your foot over the target real hard, the coins will start reading as coins. Also, if you get iffy signals, the ones where the target bounced back between iron and coin, give it a stomp too! more often then not, it will now read as a coin or iron.

Attachments

• ssssssssssss (2).jpg
    ssssssssssss (2).jpg
    7 KB · Views: 935

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Re: "STOMP'N METHOD" Will Get You More coins, Less Bottle Caps With Garretts.

Yes John, I've read somewhere about it, I think on Tnet, but I'm not sure cause was two years ago....I tried to stomp on some target but was also a long ago and I can't remember the results..

I've much more the problem that bottle cap seems coins, though :tongue3: :tongue3:
Any suggestion??

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

I believe it was Charles Garrett who first mentioned this in a book i read. Don't know if He was original person to try this, but I've had limited successwith this method. not too deep though!! Or as in the case around here-- not after the ground is froze like a rock!!! ;D
Merry Christmas All!!
& HH

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)

Blackjack77 said:
  Or as in the case around here-- not after the ground is froze like a rock!!! ;D
  Merry Christmas All!!
   & HH

So you had to try with a 5 pounds hammer ;D ;D ;D

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

From my use of the ace 250 (Approx 1 year)......I discovered a code that may prove useful......I've mentioned it several times here. The purpose of the method is to determine if in fact you have a coin or some trash item. Once you have figured out exactly where your target is through some initial pin-pointing, place the coil directly over the target and engage the pin-pointer. You will note that the pin-pointer will fail to engage as it normally would with the usual whine that a coin produces. You can repeat the step a few times........either fresh or detuning. Bottom line is that for coins, the PP'er almost always engages well with the usual whine. For trash, it gives out the "Blown out speaker" sound that has you pressing the pin point button again until you hear the whine. This is characterstic of trash.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I use this method with my Minelab also, sometimes you get a sweet sounding signal BUT it registers as Iron on the screen, I stomp on it and it will dislocate to it's real identity. ;D

Works great with bottle caps that have rusted... Also some silver can register as iron (though the sounds will be good) and on such signals I ALWAYS stomp.. Often they turn out to be silver coins. :thumbsup:

I gave this tips somewhere else a few years back and was just laughed at. :D

Have a good one,
Eu

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5

John-Edmonton said:
I accidentally discovered a way to distinguish old rusty bottle caps from coins also reading as bottle caps. I was hunting some real old parks, just loaded with old rusty bottle caps several years ago, and was ready to give up as many others had. Something was strange about those bottle caps? Once they were out of the ground, most would remained sounding like bottle caps. But, the odd one, after missing it the first time with my digger trying to retrieve it, changed from reading as a bottle cap to reading as a coin, either copper or silver. Why? My guess is that the copper or silver coins over time developed a layer of oxides around itself in the soil matrix. Some people have called it the "HALO EFFECT". And this developed layer changed the original conductivity from reading as a coin to now reading as a bottle cap. Well, if a person could break this halo while the coin was in it's original lost position, the conductivity should change it from reading as a bottle cap to reading as a coin.

So, I spent the next hour stomping real hard on top of my bottle cap readings, and low and behold, out of some thirty bottle cap hits, 3 of them changed there conductivity from reading as a bottle cap to a coin reading. I dug them and out came 3 old silver coins. I was ecstatic! I broke the code....

So, in summary, if you don't want to dig all targets, or end up in a very old area littered with those old bottle caps, stomp your foot over the target real hard, the coins will start reading as coins. Also, if you get iffy signals, the ones where the target bounced back between iron and coin, give it a stomp too! more often then not, it will now read as a coin or iron.

For the last 2 days I have stomped over 60 bottlecap readings and with no change afterwards on the reading, but dug them anyways. All were indeed bottlecaps.

Does this method work with any brand of detector, or just certain ones???

One thing I did notice, all the church key style caps I have found have some rust on them and were mostly aluminum style base metal.. Does this stomp method work on aluminum base metal caps, or just the old tin metal style from 20-30 years ago??? :icon_scratch:

Dimeman

S

seger98

I believe you have something there, I know different things have that halo affect & I could see by disturbing that affect, you can change what you are hearing & seeing from your detector! Good post. :thumbsup:

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker

I GUESS WE WILL HAVE A "STOMP'N GOOD TIME. ;D ;D

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

now i read this :BangHead:

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gives a whole new meaning to "stomp the yard" ive tried this and it does work........thanks for mentioning it, i thought i was the only one who did this. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

brokenarrow said:
gives a whole new meaning to "stomp the yard" ive tried this and it does work........thanks for mentioning it, i thought i was the only one who did this. :thumbsup:

See, there are other closet stompers out there! Finally.....we can all come out of the closet. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread