Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't typically relic hunt too much, but have been watching NOT THURSDAY videos a lot lately. Learning quite a bit about stone walls, foundations (visible or depressions), etc.
On one of my deer hunting properties, where I put a treestand, there are ten piles of stone in a cluster. A couple feet high and maybe 8 feet diameter, 10-20 yards away from each other. I've found a few foundations nearby, but not right at these piles. There are some broken stone walls around the area but not enough to contain livestock. It's quite wet also, so I doubt it would have been crop field.
Any ideas why they would pile rocks in multiple spots so close together?
I took the dog for a walk today looking for sheds and scouting detecting spots. Forgot my camera at home.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition, about a 15 minute walk from that spot, there is another spot with 3 piles in a triangle maybe 30-35 yards apart.
I find it weird that the stones weren't put on a wall instead. The second spot has a wall real close.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition, about a 15 minute walk from that spot, there is another spot with 3 piles in a triangle maybe 30-35 yards apart.
I find it weird that the stones weren't put on a wall instead. The second spot has a wall real close.
Thanks for mystery. Next time take some pictures.

tomytye

Jan 16, 2022
Ct (not a lefty)
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't typically relic hunt too much, but have been watching NOT THURSDAY videos a lot lately. Learning quite a bit about stone walls, foundations (visible or depressions), etc.
On one of my deer hunting properties, where I put a treestand, there are ten piles of stone in a cluster. A couple feet high and maybe 8 feet diameter, 10-20 yards away from each other. I've found a few foundations nearby, but not right at these piles. There are some broken stone walls around the area but not enough to contain livestock. It's quite wet also, so I doubt it would have been crop field.
Any ideas why they would pile rocks in multiple spots so close together?
I took the dog for a walk today looking for sheds and scouting detecting spots. Forgot my camera at home.
If you tell me it’s near the airport I could probably tell you what why when….

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the website I was searching for, but could be a good start.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turtle is a Mother Earth symbol for Native Americans, Spanish used them also... so, need to know what the site is first (before following carved rocks).

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all tribes used these stone struuctures and effigy piles. Other tribes (especially western) used the circular stone wheel instead which even in modern times a smaller personal (version can be made).

Medicine Wheel / Medicine Mountain National Historic Landmark​

A photograph of the Medicine Wheel

"Eventually one gets to the Medicine Wheel to fulfill one's life."
- Old Mouse, Arikara -

The Medicine Wheel / Medicine Mountain National Historic Landmark (NHL) is a major Native American sacred complex and archaeological property used by many different tribes from times before Euro-American contact to the present day. The NHL, 4,080 acres in size, includes a high concentration of integral natural formations and vistas that are perceived as cultural features, traditional use areas, and associated archaeological sites that include one of the largest stone medicine wheels in North America.
Sitting at 9,640 feet in elevation, the Medicine Wheel is situated on the exposed, slightly sloping limestone surface of the prominent northwestern ridge of Medicine Mountain. The Medicine Wheel is a roughly circular pattern of stones about 82 feet in diameter surrounding a central stone cairn about 12 feet in diameter. In the center of the pattern is a hollow oval cairn of rock from which 28 radial lines extend to a peripheral circle. Around and near the peripheral circle are six more cairns.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself I would think they were removed for farming and piled where it was convenient,the ones in the woods were probably the same, but from an earlier time and the woods have reclaimed the area, it would be interesting to see how old the trees are, if you can determine rough age of trees it can give you a timeframe of when that area was cleared before trees took it back over, some trees can grow back very quick and get large, but are actually not that old. Are there any old growth trees?

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Myself I would think they were removed for farming and piled where it was convenient,the ones in the woods were probably the same, but from an earlier time and the woods have reclaimed the area, it would be interesting to see how old the trees are, if you can determine rough age of trees it can give you a timeframe of when that area was cleared before trees took it back over, some trees can grow back very quick and get large, but are actually not that old. Are there any old growth trees?
Oh, I know they are old piles. The foundations near by are from early 1700's. Just wondering why, or if anyone else sees random piles of stone, instead of putting them on the nearby walls.

tomytye

Jan 16, 2022
Ct (not a lefty)
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I know they are old piles. The foundations near by are from early 1700's. Just wondering why, or if anyone else sees random piles of stone, instead of putting them on the nearby walls.
Some near me have been described as Indian burial mounds while they’re really paleo American burial/religious mounds. I have some stone tools found locally that have been dated 4000-5000 years old.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Are they common(type,shape/age color ect.) for the immediate area in prior worked fields? Near me each spring they get piled up. Massive amounts that get hauled away. More like cobbles than just rocks or boulders and well rounded or oblong from glacial travel.
Each of your piles could represent a stout wagon load , or stone sled load. Or multiple loads. You'd be able to guess a little on that.

Stone was material besides being offcast from field clearing.
Could be fence or structures were planned down the road and didn't be realized.

Or they could predate the homesteads...
Kind of about finding the era and context of thier placement...

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some near me have been described as Indian burial mounds while they’re really paleo American burial/religious mounds. I have some stone tools found locally that have been dated 4000-5000 years old.

Indian piles (unless tampered with) will have an obvious design to them. Tribes which used stone wheels, all have a common circular shape but designs can differ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread