Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone knows you gotta go for those tab signals, but digging tabs all day is too much work. I've been getting pretty good getting coins out of the sod with my probe, but those pesky tabs get all laced into the grass roots and are very stubborn. So I devised a way to dig less plugs!

I peened the end of my probe to flatten it out just a bit, and filed a little hook. Once I feel the tab (or gold ring:laughing7:) with the probe, I gently poke around until I find an edge with the hook and just pull it out!
0114221138a_resized.jpeg

0114221137_resized.jpeg

0114221138_resized.jpeg

It actually makes getting coins out much easier also. Just find the edge, flip it up vertical, find the bottom edge and pull it out!

I've been digging way less holes since using this and my back thanks me!

Upvote 16

Tom Emery

Nov 9, 2021
Everyone knows you gotta go for those tab signals, but digging tabs all day is too much work. I've been getting pretty good getting coins out of the sod with my probe, but those pesky tabs get all laced into the grass roots and are very stubborn. So I devised a way to dig less plugs!

I peened the end of my probe to flatten it out just a bit, and filed a little hook. Once I feel the tab (or gold ring:laughing7:) with the probe, I gently poke around until I find an edge with the hook and just pull it out!
View attachment 2003662
View attachment 2003663
View attachment 2003664

It actually makes getting coins out much easier also. Just find the edge, flip it up vertical, find the bottom edge and pull it out!

Brilliant. Anything to lessen the lower back pain is a good thing.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2003662
View attachment 2003663
View attachment 2003664

That,s using your head for more than a place to park your hat!!!:laughing7: i,m gonna fix me up one of those.Thank you so much!!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When can we expect a video demonstration?
I'll have to look into that, never posted a video before. Of course, all you'll see is me poking around in the grass and then pulling out a tab, all the action is happening under the grass.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to look into that, never posted a video before. Of course, all you'll see is me poking around in the grass and then pulling out a tab, all the action is happening under the grass.
That,s why we have an imagination! I have an over active imagination so you can see where I might go with this post!!:laughing7:
:laughing7::laughing7:

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That,s why we have an imagination! I have an over active imagination so you can see where I might go with this post!!:laughing7:
:laughing7::laughing7:
For sure, can't wait to see what you come up with!

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air

View attachment 2003662
View attachment 2003663
View attachment 2003664

And if the weather isn't fit to be out, you can stay inside and crochet with it!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cut my teeth using a screwdriver for retrieval, then a big old hunting knife.
Your hook is very inventive.
Now just hook up the video camera, 20 gallon aquarium, fill it with dirt, and go cut a big old plug containing a pull tab.
Now we will be able to see the retrieval under the grass, through the glass.
You'll have a hit on your hands-I'll give you a :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread