Strange button found in my back yard. Patriarchal Circle?

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey gang! Long time no post. Been super busy in life lately, and decided to get back into detecting in a hardcore fashion this year after a bit of (unwilling) time off.

This has to do with a weird button I found today. I decided to clear out some of the raspberries in my back yard and realized I have never actually detected the ground that they previously occupied.

The first signal I got was an old button. Patriarchal Circle. Everything I've found online has been blocked by a paywall, but from what I gather, they were a Minnesota-based fraternal organization in the late 1800's. My house was built in 1920, so I can see how this may have ended up here. I believe it had gold gilt on in at one time, judging by the back, but I cannot be sure. There is also writing on the back, but I didn't want to wash it with anything more than water, so it's indecipherable.

A weird find, for sure. Wish I knew more about it. I'll have to hit up a library. Thanks for looking! Dan.

20220506_173929.jpg
20220506_173943.jpg

Upvote 14

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey gang! Long time no post. Been super busy in life lately, and decided to get back into detecting in a hardcore fashion this year after a bit of (unwilling) time off.

This has to do with a weird button I found today. I decided to clear out some of the raspberries in my back yard and realized I have never actually detected the ground that they previously occupied.

The first signal I got was an old button. Patriarchal Circle. Everything I've found online has been blocked by a paywall, but from what I gather, they were a Minnesota-based fraternal organization in the late 1800's. My house was built in 1920, so I can see how this may have ended up here. I believe it had gold gilt on in at one time, judging by the back, but I cannot be sure. There is also writing on the back, but I didn't want to wash it with anything more than water, so it's indecipherable.

A weird find, for sure. Wish I knew more about it. I'll have to hit up a library. Thanks for looking! Dan.

View attachment 2025243 View attachment 2025244
Cool Button!!! Congrats!!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. I'll bet there aren't many of those around, because the Patriarchal Circle was a rather short-lived organisation.

There is today a fraternal organisation called the “Patriarch Militants”, which is the highest branch in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF). It was first organized by members of the Encampment who were military men and civil war veterans and then officially adopted as a separate uniformed branch of the fraternity in 1885. The name “Patriarch Militants” conveys the two-fold idea of peace and military valour, with the organisation being semi-military in nature, providing chivalric display for local parades and honour guards.

However, prior to the acceptance of the Patriarch Militants, a group of Encampment members in Milwaukee, Wisconsin organized its own uniformed body which it designated the “Patriarchal Circle”. In 1881, the status of the Patriarchal Circle was raised as an issue by the Grand Sire at the Supreme Grand Lodge Session. Then in 1882 the matter was referred to a special committee that found the organization was unlawful and membership in it was prohibited. The prohibition was renewed in 1883 and 1884 and the group fizzled out in 1885 with the acceptance of the Patriarch Militants as an official body.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find. I'll bet there aren't many of those around, because the Patriarchal Circle was a rather short-lived organisation.

There is today a fraternal organisation called the “Patriarch Militants”, which is the highest branch in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF). It was first organized by members of the Encampment who were military men and civil war veterans and then officially adopted as a separate uniformed branch of the fraternity in 1885. The name “Patriarch Militants” conveys the two-fold idea of peace and military valour, with the organisation being semi-military in nature, providing chivalric display for local parades and honour guards.

However, prior to the acceptance of the Patriarch Militants, a group of Encampment members in Milwaukee, Wisconsin organized its own uniformed body which it designated the “Patriarchal Circle”. In 1881, the status of the Patriarchal Circle was raised as an issue by the Grand Sire at the Supreme Grand Lodge Session. Then in 1882 the matter was referred to a special committee that found the organization was unlawful and membership in it was prohibited. The prohibition was renewed in 1883 and 1884 and the group fizzled out in 1885 with the acceptance of the Patriarch Militants as an official body.
Thanks so much for the information! Very cool. I'm glad I found this button. What an oddity!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the information! Very cool. I'm glad I found this button. What an oddity!
Agreed, nice to get a button that is the first I've seen posted on here. Interesting History...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread