A2E5927B-2BED-4418-A6AA-86F880FE5E0F.jpeg
51BF8D70-4ECF-47C8-B4F3-3EF6A2D43E27.jpeg
393F9197-695A-4E68-8601-72691BAF9D85.jpeg
B744B98F-E1DF-452D-861B-F95278F4A08F.jpeg
DDBA0B72-8056-4430-A2D3-B88C17097D35.jpeg

BD738343-E73F-45EA-8850-B9569944A266.jpeg

EACD0270-EA4E-47EC-97D8-1C8ED18868BF.jpeg
0DB839C1-202F-40C0-99C6-1ED45D76971D.jpeg

I wish I could figure out how to get my words in before the pics but I guess for now I’ll explain down here… found these two brass items in the woods at an Indian trade site.

The spot is very isolated and not near any structures. It’s produced very few items even on zero discovery and full sensitivity. It has produced two lightning bolt awls, a brass trade ring, some copper scrap from a kettle, a handle lug from a kettle, part of a trigger guard, part of a trigger mechanism, a trigger, and three screws that likely also came from a gun

Now I found these two items very near the site, just on the fringe. The grommet reads H N Little and the brass cap deal had the two bits of fabric inside.

I have two other spots that produce trade items in the immediate area and i suspect they all may have been a single site until a sandstone quarry in the middle broke it into 3, I’ve got a date around 1830 on my site/sites

Closest thing I can find on the grommet thing is a boot company from Georgia maybe the other was a shoelace cap of sorts? But the timeframe is off, and Georgia is a long way from se Kansas.

Anyone recognize these items or knows what would use a grommet with a post across it? It’d be great if they were trade items but I’m suspecting maybe a bit of modern trash came in somehow

Attachments

• 8F19CAAD-62DD-4259-B349-8EEC95CDA6A1.jpeg
    8F19CAAD-62DD-4259-B349-8EEC95CDA6A1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
Last edited:

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"H. N. Title" have you looked it up? The stitched cloth looks like it could be military. All of this is is considerably modern and doesn't appear elated to any native tribal works I have ever encountered.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that you say Littleton I think I may see a faint T after little. So if I read the history right it’s likely from 1866-1964.

I thought the fabric In the little cap looked military-ish too but I had no real reason why, I feel like I’ve seen that thing before but couldn’t say where

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see that but those scraps of fabric were inside of it, I thought it was packed with dirt like usual and was a bit surprised to pull out the fabric. The two were found in the same hole. I’m assuming they are related.
I’m starting to think the post across the grommet allowed something to tie to it that was possibly capped by other piece

Upvote 0

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin
Now that you say Littleton I think I may see a faint T after little. So if I read the history right it’s likely from 1866-1964.
I thought the fabric In the little cap looked military-ish too but I had no real reason why, I feel like I’ve seen that thing before but couldn’t say where
I was also going off the other side of the grommet.

S???ac Glove Co?

Saranac made gloves for motorcycle riding, purses, etc. Just about anything leather after the owner (Fabry) opened Fabry Glove Co in Green Bay, WI but still manufactured with the Saranac brand. Had the largest military glove contract in the 1940s. Product was also used in a North Pole expedition.

Looks like a scrap from something military, just unsure what it is from.

Upvote 0

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1986170 View attachment 1986171 View attachment 1986172 View attachment 1986167 View attachment 1986175

View attachment 1986174
View attachment 1986169 View attachment 1986168
I wish I could figure out how to get my words in before the pics but I guess for now I’ll explain down here… found these two brass items in the woods at an Indian trade site.

The spot is very isolated and not near any structures. It’s produced very few items even on zero discovery and full sensitivity. It has produced two lightning bolt awls, a brass trade ring, some copper scrap from a kettle, a handle lug from a kettle, part of a trigger guard, part of a trigger mechanism, a trigger, and three screws that likely also came from a gun

Now I found these two items very near the site, just on the fringe. The grommet reads H N Little and the brass cap deal had the two bits of fabric inside.

I have two other spots that produce trade items in the immediate area and i suspect they all may have been a single site until a sandstone quarry in the middle broke it into 3, I’ve got a date around 1830 on my site/sites

Closest thing I can find on the grommet thing is a boot company from Georgia maybe the other was a shoelace cap of sorts? But the timeframe is off, and Georgia is a long way from se Kansas.

Anyone recognize these items or knows what would use a grommet with a post across it? It’d be great if they were trade items but I’m suspecting maybe a bit of modern trash came in somehow
Looks like the female grommet to a snap closure to a canteen carrier - WWII or WWI

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok just trying to get this straight, the consensus seems to be a saranac military product?… also I thought that maybe the one piece snapped into the grommet but it is too big it doesn’t fit into the hole. I am guessing they are related somehow, I’ll have to google vintage saranac products and see if I can find the grommet

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think good enough to mark solved, and with the new format I actually can from my phone. Shout out Kenosha kid for the quick I’d on the company, I would have still been looking at that Georgia boot company

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread