Strange metal sign UK

Tisme

Greenie
Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,
While out walking near some woods hidden under some old trees I found this metal sign. I posted it on here in the hope that someone can tell me what it is . I have googled and found nothing. I'm curious as to what it is. It is metal I have no idea of age. It's on a walkway but not a public walkway. Can anyone tell me what it is please. It is in England .

Attachments

• IMG-20190115-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20190115-WA0016.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 228

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll have to post a better picture or tell us what the letters are.

route marker sign.jpg

(Top line unreadable)
E.H.T PILOTS
ROUTE MARKER
Route (?) Section No. 8
140 ? ? ? 2 Ft. Deep

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Odd that a UK sign would say 2 foot deep

Not unusual. The British didn't officially adopt the metric system until 1965.

I believe the USA is the only industrialized nation still using the old British Imperial system.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not just "Industrialized". Even the non-industrial countries. Liberia and Myanmar are the only other holdouts besides the USA.

Upvote 0

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It may have been where a Aircraft Navigation Marker was formerly located. Before the advent of modern electronic navigation, large cement arrows were used to show aircrews where their next point lay. Below is one such marker in the U.S.A. pointing from Salt Lake to L.A.
C98CD8E1-775C-42C2-9F12-945F9184198C.jpeg

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
E.H.T. may be "Extra High Tension". It's a marker for old, buried electrical lines.

EHT pilot.JPG

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The sign looks to be made of zinc, due to the staining on the posts that it's mounted on. :icon_scratch:
The tree has actually grown around the top of the sign, so I'm thinking WWII in date.

If it's located on Crown Land that is of no real importance, I'd be tempted to head back and save it for posterity... at least that's what I'd do. :laughing7:

Dave

Attachments

• IMG-20190115-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20190115-WA0016.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Lunch Bag and welcome!

What I believe you have here is a WW2 Pilot's Emergency Route Marker that designates a corridor to be used by extremely damaged aircraft or those not likely to have enough fuel to return to base. These corridors were intended to be kept free of buildings, vehicles, machinery or anything else that could pose an obstacle to an emergency landing. I believe they were set up to be zones where crewmen could "Ditch" armaments, ammunition and anything else that might lighten the aircraft and also a place where you might belly land an aircraft with live bombs on board. The route markers feature a location system with a route and station numbers and probably map co-ordinates. This was for retrieval purposes. There may have even been watchers along the route who were issued com equipment to report incidents.

The markers on the ground where intended to remind personnel on the ground to keep the pathway clear. If this is a cable burial route you should be able to detect or douse it.

These markers must be pretty rare as I remember about six months ago they found one in Ireland and I think it was an arrow, and was greatly celebrated.

Best wishes and good luck!

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not unusual. The British didn't officially adopt the metric system until 1965.

I believe the USA is the only industrialized nation still using the old British Imperial system.

I believe it was Pres. Nixon that killed the conversion bill.

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Mississippi.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe it was Pres. Nixon that killed the conversion bill.

The Metric Conversion Act was signed into law by Gerald Ford in 1975 after a Nixon Administration study concluded that the US should switch. It was abolished in 1982 by the Reagan Administration.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Metric Conversion Act was signed into law by Gerald Ford in 1975 after a Nixon Administration study concluded that the US should switch. It was abolished in 1982 by the Reagan Administration.

I remember working at a bank in about 1978. We changed our time & temperature sign to Centigrade displaying a small 'c' after the number. Customer after customer after customer thought the 'c' meant 'cents'. ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Tisme

Greenie
Jan 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sign looks to be made of zinc, due to the staining on the posts that it's mounted on. :icon_scratch:
The tree has actually grown around the top of the sign, so I'm thinking WWII in date.

If it's located on Crown Land that is of no real importance, I'd be tempted to head back and save it for posterity... at least that's what I'd do. :laughing7:

Dave
Do you have any links to this please. Was it in the press regards this in Ireland.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spotted this interesting old thread while browsing.

I would agree it's a warning sign that Extra High Tension cables are buried at the indicated depth. I think the 'N.L.L.' may stand for 'Night Landing Lights' provided as a pilot's route marker and that there was once an airfield (WWII probably) in the vicinity.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread