• IMG_20220609_211510.jpg
    IMG_20220609_211510.jpg
    904.1 KB · Views: 59

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it the only black pebble or was it the only pebble at all? maybe it is coprolite that has been tumbled into that shape, if it was the only black rock you found.:dontknow:

Upvote 2

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to think that it may be a rounded stone meteorite like this one I found on google
Copied off the internet on how to determine if it is a meteorite. Density: Meteorites are usually quite heavy for their size, since they contain metallic iron and dense minerals. Magnetic: Since most meteorites contain metallic iron, a magnet will often stick to them. For “stony” meteorites, a magnet might not stick, but if you hang the magnet by a string, it will be attracted.

Upvote 2

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a mineral such as calcium with black acrylic paint or maybe a kind of tar that is waterproof all over it. Tell me, was this some sort of test?

Upvote 1

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
In keeping with logical reasoning this is most likely not a meteorite.

There are plenty of black, dense minerals to be considered, e.g., magnetite, hematite, etc.

To begin, you need to some simple tests: hardness and streak (black and white Porcelain). Without these we really are just guessing.

Upvote 2

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a cool stone. How heavy is it? Does it seem really heavy for its size?

I have a daughter that is as into rocks as I am. She however is known for only carrying her finds for a distance before conning me into hauling them or discarding them in some interesting place for another curious soul to find. Fairly likely that’s what’s happens here.

I would have scooped it up as well I am sure. Cool rock. Maybe call it blacky? Or chubby. Or….. I’m not good at this.

Upvote 5
OP
OP
A

Altosoro

Greenie
Jun 9, 2022
Copied off the internet on how to determine if it is a meteorite. Density: Meteorites are usually quite heavy for their size, since they contain metallic iron and dense minerals. Magnetic: Since most meteorites contain metallic iron, a magnet will often stick to them. For “stony” meteorites, a magnet might not stick, but if you hang the magnet by a string, it will be attracted

Copied off the internet on how to determine if it is a meteorite. Density: Meteorites are usually quite heavy for their size, since they contain metallic iron and dense minerals. Magnetic: Since most meteorites contain metallic iron, a magnet will often stick to them. For “stony” meteorites, a magnet might not stick, but if you hang the magnet by a string, it will be attracted.
Magnets don't stick to it. I cannot test the attraction now, I'll verify soon.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
A

Altosoro

Greenie
Jun 9, 2022
Looks like a cool stone. How heavy is it? Does it seem really heavy for its size?

I have a daughter that is as into rocks as I am. She however is known for only carrying her finds for a distance before conning me into hauling them or discarding them in some interesting place for another curious soul to find. Fairly likely that’s what’s happens here.

I would have scooped it up as well I am sure. Cool rock. Maybe call it blacky? Or chubby. Or….. I’m not good at this.
The stone is a little heavier than normal but not metal heavy. Yes maybe someone found it and dropped it where I found it but it was like in the middle of the forest so... I'll call it Globullus.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
A

Altosoro

Greenie
Jun 9, 2022
In keeping with logical reasoning this is most likely not a meteorite.

There are plenty of black, dense minerals to be considered, e.g., magnetite, hematite, etc.

To begin, you need to some simple tests: hardness and streak (black and white Porcelain). Without these we really are just guessing.
Yes you are right. I'll try to test it or maybe I could send it to Nems (New England Meteoritical Services Testing)?

Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet, happy to have you with us.

It looks like it has been water tumbled, could have come out of the stream bank and then been washed downstream no telling how far.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly deposited by glacial movements. I found a strangely shaped piece of magnetite on Brayton Barf, a glacial deposit, just outside Selby, England. No other stones remotely resembled it in the area. It was found in a recently eroded ditch.

Upvote 3

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly deposited by glacial movements. I found a strangely shaped piece of magnetite on Brayton Barf, a glacial deposit, just outside Selby, England. No other stones remotely resembled it in the area. It was found in a recently eroded ditch.

My family and I are flying back home from Maine today. Last night we were walking a beach that was packed with glacial till. Freaking everything you could think of scattered everywhere. I could have spent hours and hours hunting for quarts species.

I found a couple pretty suspect chunks that are headed home with me.

Upvote 4

Zakon Krzyżacki

May 25, 2022
The stone is a little heavier than normal but not metal heavy. Yes maybe someone found it and dropped it where I found it but it was like in the middle of the forest so... I'll call it Globullus.
The title of your thread says you found it in a forest stream.
So did you find it in the woods or in a stream?
Maybe I am confused.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread