Strange Silver Pin

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi guys, Got out tonight just for a little bit. Had a bad day today. Went detecting last night right. Came home took off detecting clothes and went and got a shower. Went to bed got up today right. Was getting ready to change my clothes for when the wife got home from work I could leave and found a tick embedded in my shoulder from hunting in the woods the night before. It's the first time I ever even seen one or gotten bit. Let me tell you it sucks. I hope I got him in time and don't get any diseases like limes etc. Since I hunt the woods all the time and they are so populated with deers I must of finally ran into one. I should be alright but still made me aware of there beings now. I usually wear a good bug spray and always have a sweat shirt hat gloves on. I didn't realize how tough these parasites are until I tried to pull it off of me. I can't believe it made it through the shower me sleeping all the stuff I did before I even knew it was there. Was a little paranoid tonight in the woods. Not trying to gross you guys out but man I thought something like that would never happen to someone like me who is so aware of what is going on. It was latched onto me in a blind spot on my upper shoulder and I couldn't see it.

Anyways sorry I had to add that into the story. It was on my mind and just wanted to let anyone else who spends alot of time in the woods to be careful. From now on I am checking my full body when I come home from the woods.

I found this silver pin tonight at a old swimming hole in the woods. It was the only good thing I found tonight. It is about the size of a half dollar and the picture tells the rest. I have seen this symbol alot but don't really know the true meaning of it. I think it is for some kind of organization or something but not sure. It was really black when I found it. But I cleaned it up and it looks pretty good. If one of you guys out there could tell me more would be great. It appears to be sort of old.

A 2 cent piece was found at this site by a friend of mine. There is a old railroad camp in the woods also. But it's a treasure hunters nightmare. It got so much iron and surface trash that it's just a pain to try and hunt it. I know there has to be some stuff there but I'm weighing do I want to dig a ton of trash and iron to find out. There's one old stone building still standing. Then surrounding it is about 8 other cellar hole type of dwellings around it. There are wells and a great source of water no more than 50 yards away. I have hunted it for about a few hrs and only found a thimble and alot of trash. You would think there would have to be something under all that trash. There's no way even if it was hunted they got it all with the amount of trash present. No one ever hit it though. It's too secluded. Sorry it's so long.

Good Luck Jer

Attachments

• Weird silver pin 001.jpg
    Weird silver pin 001.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Weird silver pin 2.jpg
    Weird silver pin 2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 354
Upvote 0

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
ticks most likely place to get on you is legs.........next time out wear long socks and tie pants leg tight . ;D will detect for food

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot Oddfello. Wish I had the bottom attached to it. I was wondering why those 2 holes were there. I know were the hole is were I dug it. I always recheck my holes so I doubt it's still near were I found it. Maybe though. Every now and then I will even look over something very small if I am in a hurry or I am just coin shooting a place. It looks like the construction of it was pretty good. So most likely if the pin was gone on the back the word would be missing also. Some kid probably carried it around and thought it looked cool just to have it look the way it is.

Thanks for bringing that to life for me. You guys are good on this forum.

Good Luck Jeremy

rasrandy

Mar 3, 2005
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Jer,i posted a similiar item earlier in "what is it" under "some old finds with no ID" there are some links on there you can check out.Since yours says sterling on the back its from the 40s or earlier. Its not a ring but its still a silver find! watch out for those blood sucking varments! Randy

i
i

TOWcritter

How small was the tick? Deer ticks are smaller than the head of a pin so most people never know they have it on them until symptoms of Lyme show up. Hopefully this won't happen but if you're really concerned about it you could take some anti-biotics for a while to help ward it off. Good luck.

D

Darod

JerDFx

Maybe you can still find the "rifle" part of that medal if you go back and give the area another try. Seems to me that it should be there. Perhaps the rings were just metal and corroded away, leaving the medalion separated from the "rifle" part. Give it a try, you never know.

Rod

Good luck!

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, This one was like the size of a BB when I pulled him off of me. Those are some nasty little creatures. Man when they latch on there on you. I couldn't get him off. I ripped him right off instantly when I knew what it was. Should of used tweasers but I was a little freaked out at the moment. I think I'll be o.k. Doctor said I will have some type of symptoms in the next 2 weeks or so.

Hoping I dodged a bullet this time. I guess for the hundreds of hrs I spend in the woods it was bound to happen sooner or later. And the deer population is alot were I am hunting. You see them laying on the ground in the middle of the day while your in the woods detecting. Like 15 of them at a time. And there not scared of humans. I will have to do a better job now of tucking my clothes and shoes in to keep it from happening again. Luckily my area is low risk for limes disease. Looked at a chart of the area.

I will rescan the area I found the medal at real good and see if maybe I could turn up the other piece to it. I knew I saw something similar on this forum. It was in the back of my head that I just recently saw something like this. Thanks for all the help guys. I saw a picture of the same medal fully in tacked going for 35.00 bucks. It's not the value it was the find. I like to find military stuff. Maybe one day I'll have a nice collection of badges and know exactly what I have due to good dudes like you guys on the forum.

Thanks again Jeremy

sgoss302

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2005
Trussville, AL
I wouldn't count on the medal to be real old. They still in use today. I ust got out of the army back in 98. That looks like a standar issue marksman badge

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry too much about the tick bite, just keep an eye on it and look for any signs of it forming a bullseye type area around it. Ticks are so thick here in my neck of the woods I expect to find a few on me every time I venture into the dense woods as do most people in this area. We spray down good with a repellant containing deet....Cutter's being a popular brand, and check ourselves very closely after returning home. They also carry Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever as well as Lymes Disease. In both cases I am told by my doctor that the tick has to be attached for at least 24 hours before it can cause the disease and not all ticks carry the disease, just a few within the millions of ticks in the woods. The chances of catching the diseases are very small but enough so that you need to take precautions.

M

mattjd

What's up guys. I was hiking through this field that was all grow in. When I got back to the car. I bent down to take off my boots. As I did I saw three ticks crawling up my leg. At the time I thought they were cute little spiders cause that's what they looked like. So I just brushed them off and forgot about it. As we were drivin back home I saw another one on my arm. After we got home I hoped in the shower. As I was washing I felt something on the back of my ear. It felt like a smooth bump. I thought it was dirt so I tried washing it off but it wasn't dirt. After my shower I looked in the mirror and what do ya know there was one of those cute little spiders inbeded in the back of my ear. At this point I realized those were ticks crawling all over me. I had to use twezzers to get it off and checked the rest of me to make sure there wasn't any more on me. I didn't go to the doctors but I didn't have any syptoms either. It was about 1 1/2 the size of a BB. Matt

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an Army marksman badge, but it is also an older one. The "sterling" mark dates it back to at least the fifties, which is when they stopped making them from sterling silver and made them from a cheap metal composition. I was in the Army in the 80's and my marksman badge was NOT sterling, although it looks identical. Nice find - Good luck and HH!!!

Shutterbug

Nov 6, 2004
Jer,
When I was a kid, I lived in the back country of Va., Tn and Ky. I've had a lot of ticks that attached themselves to me and I never did get any kind of disease.... My grandmother told me NEVER pull a tick out because the head of the critter can seperate and leave the head inside which can get infected. Instead of pulling it off, my grandma told me to burn the ticks butt with a cigarette or match and the tick will back itself out of your skin. It always worked for me. The chance of you getting any kind of disease is really rare. All the kids in my neighborhood had ticks attached at one time or another and I never heard of anyone having a problem. I wouldn't worry about it but keep an eye out for infection...

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks alot for the tick support guys lol. I'm glad I'm not the only one to encounter this while out. I appreciate all the info on the badge from you guys who know more than I do in that field. I figured it had to have some age due to the age of the area I was hunting and the amount of black oxidation that was on it before I cleaned it. I will get back to the area soon and see if I can find the bar that was attached to it. Man would I be lucky to find that amongst the trash at this site.

Thanks for the support guys HH Jer

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Neat pin! About ticks.. I use to run into them in East Texas a lot when I lived there. Put alchol on the tick and then use the tweezers...the alchol will make it back off...then flush that sucker! Also.. for chiggers.. buy a bottle of sulpher power (from Walmart pharmacy section) and sprinkle on your boots and pants legs to prevent those horrible little devils from getting on you. Chiggers can make you miserable! Better to prevent than deal with ticks or chiggers after the fact.

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little trick to help with the ticks and such. Get a couple tick and flea collars for dogs, put them on you're ankle area. Important: Do not put it directly to you're skin, put it over you're pant leg or boots. It will irritate you're skin. This will help to keep them off of you.
Happy Hunting, Joe

OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the tick help guys. I hate those things. I have like a fobia now every time I come home from the woods I am like checking my self over. Even though I know there isn't one there. That's what I thought all the other times. So far so good. Haven't got any rash and feal o.k. But it's only been like 3 or 4 days. We'll see I guess. I'll let you know in about a month if I'm out of the water.

Take care guys thanks for the replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread