Strebs in the Mtns

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all, I thought I would share what I've been doing at my mining claim. Been out here for a few weeks, learning the claim and brushing some trails in. A bunch of old workings in the main arroyo, I'm working the head of a feeder right now because the bedrocks close by :D.

20200605_134637[1].jpg

This was my main sleepin spot. I've had 2 mountain lion encounters since I've been here. Think they want the pup. We tree'd a big male, thought about shootin it. I called the FS instead but they weren't willing to do anything at that time. Time to find a camper :D

20200605_174615[1].jpg 20200607_091148[1].jpg

Here's my little setup, I take 550 gallons of water out and that has lasted me the month. My dirt is so hard, this homemade trommel breaks it up pretty well.

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Get yourself an Irish wolfhound then you won’t need to worry about the cats !

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been debating getting a second dog, more eyes the better. I came out of the mountains for the 4th of July, been extremely dry here, I don't trust the yahoos with fireworks, been some bad fires this year already.

This claim butts up to some patented land, the old-timers didn't find this vein structure until the mid-1930s, lots of hard rock mines that run along the bridge of the mountain. My neighboring claim owner has been living out here for 20 some years, has been teaching me a lot. Very thankful to have someone else out there. He calls it a Porphyry deposit, his side of the mountain has large amounts of skarn material. My side seems to have the mass of the porphyry monzonite.

20200626_183742.jpg Message_1592763987261.jpg

This is the start of the arroyo is very narrow right here, basically, the top of the bridge. After here it widens 3x its size shortly after, which, will be my next pit. I muck it all off take the bottom 6 inches. Hopefully, get back out this Wed, still need to get supplies and do some maintenance on the equipment.

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
July has been a very slow month for me. Spent most of the month getting my new to me slide in camper fixed up and onsite. Record high heat for the area made for some slow days. Got the new hole punched out where the arroyo gets wider, gold is starting to pick up a little better.
20200720_142218~2[1].jpg

No more reports of big Cats, I cut down a lot of the underbrush near the arroyo and camp, I can see more than 15 feet into the forest now lol.

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got out to the mountains 2 drop off 550 gallons of water. I thought i had vandals destroy my sluice and water tanks. Judging by the bite marks and scat must of been a big bear lookin 4 water. Had 2 come home reweld the trommel and sluice.

Since i was being all moopy i couldnt go make my millions i checked out this mtn pretty close 2 the house. In the 1900s seemed like there was some excitement 4 gold/silver/lead. Now there isnt a single claim on the range. Walkin round found a huge run of quartz, some shafts and drift mines.
And alittle pyrite in the wall.
20200818_123514~2.jpg

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Been a minute since ive posted on here. The main mining claim has been packed up for the winter. Most of this summer has been sampling and figuring out equipment. Been working a job for the winter here saving up some cash. Take another crack at it come spring.

Still i cant stay away from the mountains been bored since the claim snowed in. I got out over the holidays just behind the house. I stopped for lunch, eating my sandwich, i didnt notice i was sitting on an outcropping. The material is very brittle and managed to remove bout 60-70 pounds i took back to the house and crushed through a window screen, i processed about 1.5 gallons of the fines still have about 2 gallons to go.

20201003_100316.jpg
20201223_102934.jpg
20201223_134620.jpg
20210103_192426.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread