Stubble Hunting - Hammered + Extremely Rare CELTIC TIT COIN...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a plan to try a new field & fall back to a nearby semi-good area if the before lunch option failed.
Cru'dad wasn't happy with my Plan, so yesterday went looking around for a better option. He also needed to get some pears & apples from near the Roman Metal Working Site, so left this to last. I won't go into the good omen he had, but he convinced me to do some tyre tracks on a Wheat stubble field next to the Metal Working Site. Cru'dad got the hammered from this field & just shy of 15 mins to the 6 hour hunt, we decided to do a quick blast on the Celtic area. With 10 mins to spare he shouted Celtic Silver, although as I will explain later, its a rare mystery at this point.

x2 1st C AD Roman Fibula (Brooches)
Medieval Horse Harness Pendant
Part of a Medieval Purse Bar
Fish Scale Crotal Bell (bit broken)
G.W.B Horse Blinker
Hammered Penny of King John

Circa 40BC Celtic Coin:
The Gold Tit Qrter Stater that is not Gold. There is still a debate about who/which tribe produced these Excessively Rare Coins. Only a small number of GOLD versions are known. There are no silver or bronze versions known of this type.
Read this interesting write up below;
Above is the closest match I can find, ours looks to be mostly Bronze. Which gives 3 theories in the order I like best;
1. Bronze Core to a once Gold Plated Qrter Stater (all plating gone but protected the lovely bronze underneath) - Probably first known.
2. First ever Bronze Unit
3. First ever debased Silver Unit

We will contact the British Museum & give an update, if they are responding....

UPDATE:
''My initial feeling from the photos alone is that this is a bronze coin with a dark-ish patina and the dots you’re seeing are corrosion coming through from the core. That said, it is often a little difficult to tell from the photos alone and it may look slightly different with the coin in front of you! It could plausibly be the core of a plated quarter stater now lost all its surface of course, which would match well with the ABC gold type (in terms of types and probably also weight). I certainly think it is a coin that needs to be recorded, whether as an unusual base metal coin or something quarter stater related. Once we have all the detail on the database we can chase up a closer identification – if it’s not an obvious bronze issue we’ll need to check the gold types and for any examples of copies too.''

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 57
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome, so now 5 known? Please do let us know more when you do!
Sort of but it's not Gold, so must be the first known of a contemporary forgery. (most likely I think, but need the experts)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a plan to try a new field & fall back to a nearby semi-good area if the before lunch option failed.
Cru'dad wasn't happy with my Plan, so yesterday went looking around for a better option. He also needed to get some pears & apples from near the Roman Metal Working Site, so left this to last. I won't go into the good omen he had, but he convinced me to do some tyre tracks on a Wheat stubble field next to the Metal Working Site. Cru'dad got the hammered from this field & just shy of 15 mins to the 6 hour hunt, we decided to do a quick blast on the Celtic area. With 10 mins to spare he shouted Celtic Silver, although as I will explain later, its a rare mystery at this point.

G.W.B Horse Blinker

Circa 40BC Celtic Coin:
The Gold Tit Qrter Stater that is not Gold. There is still a debate about who/which tribe produced these Excessively Rare Coins. Only a small number of GOLD versions are known. There are no silver or bronze versions known of this type.
Above is the closest match I can find, ours looks to be mostly Bronze. Which gives 3 theories in the order I like best;
1. Bronze Core to a once Gold Plated Qrter Stater (all plating gone but protected the lovely bronze underneath) - Probably first known.

View attachment 2043886 View attachment 2043887 View attachment 2043888 View attachment 2043889 View attachment 2043890 View attachment 2043891
Awesome stuff … as usual Cru. Keep’em coming. Ddf

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.W.B Horse Blinker

Circa 40BC Celtic Coin:

View attachment 2043886 View attachment 2043887 View attachment 2043888 View attachment 2043889 View attachment 2043890 View attachment 2043891
So Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!! You know, every time I hear that song- Some Guys have All the luck. I think of You😁 Always Amazing finds!!!!

Last edited:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.W.B Horse Blinker

Circa 40BC Celtic Coin:

Banner find if you found it Cru'....just stunning...I would be shaking with a rare find like that...a big congratulations 👍

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Your hunting places are what dreams are made of. You guys got some stellar ground to hunt. There was a good write up today on certain tribes, kings, & emporers, that would debase another's coins by lowering the silver or gold content. Then the coin would be recast/hammered back to what the coin originally started as, but with a lower gold or silver content. I believe it was by Numismatic Coins.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Cru'dad is kind kicking your arse lately Cru in the finds dept.
Your not wrong, although even Cru'mum stated yesterday that ''is unusual''. (last 2 trips, the 3rd one I got the Roman Silver & 1 of the hammered)
As a team it makes no difference to me, & it wouldn't feel right if I got all the good stuff.
All I care about is we have had 3 very good days in a row after a really tough slog of very little. The hardest part is keeping this going when most options are the least worst.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never seen or heard about. Just Wow.
Contemporary forgery makes sense to me. Or maybe a core before gold gilded? Or really the first bronze unit? Please update as you get more info...
One of our BM contacts is away until the 19 Sep (hopefully someone will answer soon), but 'if' this is the first Bronze Unit it survived in unbelievable condition, which is why it's my least favourite guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And where are thou Dick coins at? No interest in seeing them, btw.
Funny you should mention that the King John Hammered next to the Tit Coin is Richard (Moneyer) of London (Mint). I'm sure your aware our nickname for Richard is Dick. Close enough?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread