Stunning 1794 Liberty Cap Large Cent... Made of Pewter?!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you read that right, and it is without a doubt from the 18th century too. I found a new spot over the weekend that consists of a tiny foundation no more than 8'x8' on the edge of a stream. Not many targets in the ground, but absolutely everything was pre-1800. The Liberty Cap was on the edge of the cellar hole between some rocks and it rang up low so initially I thought is was another tombac and put it with the rest of the finds. It wasn't until I started cleaning everything up that I saw the faint bust with the cap behind it under the crusty dirt.

PXL_20210711_231101902.jpg

Pewter in this state can go either way so I only let one side dry and went to work on it with an Andre's brush. Took about half an hour of careful work, but it was worth it because it was extraordinarily well preserved under all that dirt:

PXL_20210711_232908351.jpg

Like I said, stunning! :hello2: The reverse is a little weaker, but I think that's because it was cast face down and the reverse had less pressure on the molten metal.

PXL_20210711_233252414.PORTRAIT.jpg PXL_20210711_233236810.PORTRAIT.jpg

Of course the obvious question here is why was this even made? It's half the thickness of an actual liberty cap large cent and I doubt it was a serious attempt to make a counterfeit. I found a ton of melted pewter fragments around and while that isn't unusual for colonial period sites, proportionally here it was almost half of all recovered targets and some were even clipped.

DSC09777.JPG

Makes me think that he may have been a small scale pewter smith and was either messing around or wanted to make something to impress people with his skills. I suppose it's also possible that he was a counterfeiter and this was a sort of dry run for a half dollar mold. At any rate very cool and as far as I can tell unique. There are a decent number of pewter large cents out there, and I've even found a couple, but they tend to be of matron head dates. I think they were probably used as gaming chips, but this one definitely feels like something else.

The rest of the finds were nice 18th century pieces.

DSC09775.JPG DSC09776.JPG DSC09778.JPG

The shoe buckle is very pretty and actually copper as opposed to the more usual brass. The dandy button was the very first target and the edge scalloping had me going for a bit since it looks a little like one of the script GWI buttons, but alas it's just a floral pattern in the middle. The only actual coin was a draped bust large cent and before the obverse crumbled it appeared to be 1797. A shame, but I'd prefer the pewter be well preserved in this case so the soil chemistry is just fine the way it is!

DSC09774.JPG

Definitely a fun little spot and an awesome new piece for the collection! I'll be searching the spot again when the weeds are a little lower and maybe I'll find something else that would explain what was going on there. Maybe I'll even get lucky and turn up one of the molds!

Upvote 27

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting finds .It sounds like a site that I would sift/skim and get to the bottom of it!:icon_thumright:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is in incredible condition! I absolutely love early US counterfeits. This is just a beauty!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
VERY cool find Paleo. Not sure I have ever seen a counterfeit Liberty Cap. Like you say though, that may not have been their intent anyway. But I have several counterfeit KGs that are almost laughable in their resemblance to the real thing. Nice bunch of finds.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really Nice!!! Super old!!! Congrats!!!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool finds! A window to the past, legitimate and, maybe, illegitimate! Thanks!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post and finds Max, kudos to you on locating the house foundation. :thumbsup:
Love the shoe buckle and the counterfeit Liberty Cap.

Sounds to me like an extensive hunt of the periphery of the site is in order.
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread