šŸ„‡ BANNER Stunning Marked Napoleonic Era British Volunteer Corps Cross Belt Plate!!!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can't believe I found this! Only the second hunt this Spring since the ground thawed and the site was almost a dud. Only a dozen buttons, two IHPs, and some odds and ends despite being an undetected foundation. I was working my way further out from the structure when I spotted a farm road cut into the hill and detected along it for awhile. There was an old thimble and a spoon bowl so I started working down the embankment and almost immediately got a 90's tone which turned out to be this:

Dug Plate 2.jpg

Finally! I've always wanted to find a cross belt plate so this was a huge bucket lister already, but when I wiped some of the dirt off the front I saw letters along the edge! A marked plate is even higher on my list and super rare, so I didn't mess with it any further out in the field.

Dug Plate 1.jpg

I could clearly see the word "Royal" though so I was positive it would end up being a British military plate of some kind. Once home I started by carefully removing as much of the dirt as I could while it was still moist to see if the patina would be stable. To my relief the hillside must have drained the water almost immediately over the years because the patina is so thin that in spots it almost looks like simply aged brass! It is also completely stable so I knew I could be a little more thorough with the cleaning. Here it is after the dirt has been mostly removed:

1st Stage Cleaning.jpg

Already some amazing detail and the lettering is all clear. Maybe 30-45min more of work with an andre's brush and I was done:

Plate 3.jpg

Talk about a stunner!!! :hello2: Couldn't be happier with the look of it so now it was on to research.

There are only a few mentions of the Royal Kilmarnock Volunteers online. They were organized in Kilmarnock which is a town in the southern park of Scotland. It was apparently the earliest formed corps of Ayrshire Volunteers and were eventually incorporated in the Fourth Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. There's an 1800 officer roster, a mention of them assisting with a church collapse in 1801, and there are two other marked artifacts. There's an officer's Gorget and Colonel Parker's sword, both of which seem to be in museums. What I was able to find out was more along the lines of the Volunteer Corps. They were organized in various towns (mostly coastal ones) starting in 1794 for the purpose of home defense in the event of a French invasion. These groups consisted primarily of the propertied classes and the gentry served as the officers. It was very successful and at one time there were over 300,000 serving. They continued until the Volunteer Act was allowed to lapse in 1806 and the Volunteer Corps were formally disbanded in 1813.

It seems like decorated cross belt plates like this would have to have been specially made at the owner's expense and there are many different examples from the various units, but all are quite rare! Digging one in New York State of all places has to be a once in a lifetime event and I can only assume that it was brought over by an immigrant as an heirloom and then lost.

What a fun bit of history and I can't believe I managed to find a piece of it here! Plus I finally have a marked cross belt plate for the collection and more importantly my 2022 digging season is off to a fantastic start!

Last edited:
Upvote 86

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still can't believe I found this! Only the second hunt this Spring since the ground thawed and the site was almost a dud. Only a dozen buttons, two IHPs, and some odds and ends despite being an undetected foundation. I was working my way further out from the structure when I spotted a farm road cut into the hill and detected along it for awhile. There was an old thimble and a spoon bowl so I started working down the embankment and almost immediately got a 90's tone which turned out to be this:

View attachment 2016778

Finally! I've always wanted to find a cross belt plate so this was a huge bucket lister already, but when I wiped some of the dirt off the front I saw letters along the edge! A marked plate is even higher on my list and super rare, so I didn't mess with it any further out in the field.

View attachment 2016777

I could clearly see the word "Royal" though so I was positive it would end up being a British military plate of some kind. Once home I started by carefully removing as much of the dirt as I could while it was still moist to see if the patina would be stable. To my relief the hillside must have drained the water almost immediately over the years because the patina is so thin that in spots it almost looks like simply aged brass! It is also completely stable so I knew I could be a little more thorough with the cleaning. Here it is after the dirt has been mostly removed:

View attachment 2016781

Already some amazing detail and the lettering is all clear. Maybe 30-45min more of work with an andre's brush and I was done:

View attachment 2016782

Talk about a stunner!!! :hello2: Couldn't be happier with the look of it so now it was on to research.

There are only a few mentions of the Royal Kilmarnock Volunteers online. They were organized in Kilmarnock which is a town in the southern park of Scotland. It was apparently the earliest formed corps of Ayrshire Volunteers and were eventually incorporated in the Fourth Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. There's an 1800 officer roster, a mention of them assisting with a church collapse in 1801, and there are two other marked artifacts. There's an officer's Gorget and Colonel Parker's sword, both of which seem to be in museums. What I was able to find out was more along the lines of the Volunteer Corps. They were organized in various towns (mostly coastal ones) starting in 1794 for the purpose of home defense in the event of a French invasion. These groups consisted primarily of the propertied classes and the gentry served as the officers. It was very successful and at one time there were over 300,000 serving. They continued until the Volunteer Act was allowed to lapse in 1806 and the Volunteer Corps were formally disbanded in 1813.

It seems like decorated cross belt plates like this would have to have been specially made at the owner's expense and there are many different examples from the various units, but all are quite rare! Digging one in New York State of all places has to be a once in a lifetime event and I can only assume that it was brought over by an immigrant as an heirloom and then lost.

What a fun bit of history and I can't believe I managed to find a piece of it here! Plus I finally have a marked cross belt plate for the collection and more importantly my 2022 digging season is off to a fantastic start!
Holy Smokes! BANNER!!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2016778

View attachment 2016777

View attachment 2016781

View attachment 2016782

Banner of course!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2016778

View attachment 2016777

View attachment 2016781

View attachment 2016782

Trying to figure out how to vote...

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2016778

View attachment 2016777

View attachment 2016781

View attachment 2016782

incredible, what a find and what a save. Stunning how well it cleaned up. well done friend!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome save!!! Definitely a Banner find! Where the heck is the Banner button????? Congrats

tahomatom

Sep 3, 2013
Sutter Creek, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di pro plus
Whites id beach hunter
Got rid of the Minelab pointer,
Then got a Garrett. Much better pointer.
Minelab Xterra 705
Ibuprofen
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2016778

View attachment 2016777

View attachment 2016781

View attachment 2016782

Wow! Best find ever. If it could talk would have a tale to tell. Good job!

Oldrvrrat57

Jan 2, 2022
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2016778

View attachment 2016777

View attachment 2016781

View attachment 2016782

This is what recovering history is all about! What an awesome save! Congratulations!!!

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k

View attachment 2016778

View attachment 2016777

View attachment 2016781

View attachment 2016782

Magic find šŸ‘

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a thistle... which has a long history as an emblem for Scotland.
:laughing7: Got there before I did; yup definitely a Scottish thistle, but I think wild artichoke is sometime used to describe thistle plants. I've heard the term used by gardeners (possibly erroneously) a handful of times around here so it may be a common name as opposed to the correct name.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: Got there before I did; yup definitely a Scottish thistle, but I think wild artichoke is sometime used to describe thistle plants. I've heard the term used by gardeners (possibly erroneously) a handful of times around here so it may be a common name as opposed to the correct name.

The artichoke is a member of the thistle family, and the one we commonly eat as a vegetable is a commercial cultivar of the wild ā€œartichoke thistleā€ (Cynara cardunculus), also known as the ā€œcardoonā€, first domesticated in ancient times. Itā€™s not native to Scotland though.

Artichoke thislle.jpg
Artichoke thistle (Cynara cardunculus)

The thistle adopted as Scotlandā€™s emblem is the ā€œspear thistleā€ or ā€œbull thistleā€ (Cirsium vulgareā€). According to legend a barefoot Norse invader trod on one in 1263 at the battle of Largs, alerting Scottish defenders to a surprise attack when he cried out in pain.

Spear thistle.jpg
Spear thistle (Cirsium vulgareā€)

The ā€œcotton thistleā€ (Onopordum acanthium) is also colloquially known as ā€œScottish thistleā€ but itā€™s not the one used as the Scottish emblem and national flower.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner vote from me too, and I enjoyed seeing this one on your Instagram!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread