Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Greetings ThTx,

I have never read or heard of anyone claiming to have found the lost Sublett mine. Do you recall where you saw it? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco

PS That would sure be a let-down if someone has found it - I have never gone on a hunt for the lost Ben Sublett mine, did get as far as Odessa once but the danged Jeep chose that spot to crap out and die so ended up NOT looking for that lost mine. If someone did find it, they must have been lucky - remember even Ben's son, who had been to the mine once, failed to find it again.

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidently, I was mistaken. You'd think if there had been a report of the finding, EVERYONE on this site would remember it. Must have been just a bad dream!

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W.C. Jameson the Author of several treasure tale books claims to have found the Sublett Mine. I specifically asked him that question at a talk at our local club meeting last year. He made no hesitation to tell us he had found it years ago. For what it's worth...

OP
OP
ThTx

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He didn't happen to give a location, did he? Old Ben would sometimes take a couple of weeks to get more gold and sometimes it was only a few days. Wonder what Mr. Jameson found - mine or chache?

4girlsinfl

Greenie
Mar 14, 2006
There was an article at least 10 years ago in a treasure magazine where someone claimed to have found it. showed pictures of the finder, says the site was only about 2 miles from a highway. Having some memory of reading the article, the location found and the description provided of the site itself, it does not match what the accepted site is supposed to look like.

The founder said it was a cave on side of a hill, had pictures, small opening to go into the cave, etc.. whereas the norm site description says of a chasm where you climb down into an open area w/cave at bottom on side of the chasm wall bottom.

So keep looking... its out there.

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That area is riddled full of caves and rock formations. Carlsbad Caverns is not far away. W.C. Jameson made it clear he had found the site of the nuggets but made no reference to a cache. He makes a lot of comments that are meant to mislead in my opinion. If someone were to have found all he claims he would not be selling paperback books at small town club meetings. My 2 cents. :)

Carlsbad Mike

Jun 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where should you start to look. can someone point me in the right direction. I'm in the area. does anyone know what the son remembered?

Fredwerd34

Apr 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have recently found out about sublett cave and have become fascinated. I live close by and would love to search the area. Is there any specific place I would start my search ? Any help would be appreciated.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I know I'm answering a very old thread.

W.C. Jameson is hardly a reliable writer. He's in the tradition of F.L. Coffman and Lieut. Harry E. Rieseberg - claiming to be treasure hunters and treasure finders, but not actually doing it.

I've read a number of Mr. Jameson's books, and they are very hard to believe.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Fredwerd34:

Start with J. Frank Dobie's Coronado's Children (1930) and Henry Sinclair Drago's Lost Bonanzas (1966) and Lost Mines and Hidden Treasures (1956) by "Leland Lovelace."

There are dozens of accounts - these three are easy to find and won't set you back a great deal to learn the story. Plus, they are well-written and good reading.

I believe the yarn is also mentioned in the WPA Guide to New Mexico and to Texas. Experienced treasure hunters long ago discovered these are excellent sources for serious research.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Fredwerd34

Apr 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Old Bookaroo! I’ll look into those books and see when I have time to plan a trip down there. I live afew hours away, and I hope to find something! Anything even if not the treasure! This will be my first time looking for treasure I’m excited!!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Fredwerd34:

Your first hunt! That's an exciting prospect. There's a good deal of preparation required for a successful expedition. And the first requirement of a successful expedition is that you return in one piece.

The right equipment, good maps, permission to hunt on private property - all preparation just as important as the sound research.

Have you read KvonM's Treasure Hunter's Manual - #6 or #7? There's no better guide available. Sadly, both are out-of-print. If you can't find a decent copy of #7 for less than $30 or of #6 (which you really don't need to get started, but it's first-rate) for less than $50, send me a PM and I'll try to assist you in locating one.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread