jbatir

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks fun, any advancements lately?

This looks like a great treasure hunt.

Anyone know what the progress has been the past year?

jbatir

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading through this thread, looking online, and doing some reconnaissance, I understand why this is such a difficult mine to find. Curly, if you're ready to re-emerge, I've got plenty of free weekends and could possibly free up a week if anyone is interested.

OP
OP
K

kam1

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Any recent news on the Sublett Mine from anyone? Lots of possible locations, depending on which stories you believe. Most credible stories that I have seen so far seem to be somewhere around the Frijole Ranch, or near The Chimneys. However, I do need to clear up one falsehood: Curly and a few of the other folks on here have referenced the presence of sulfur deposits near Rustler Springs as evidence of igneous activity in that area. That is completely incorrect. The sulfur in the Rustler Springs area occurs in sedimentary formations, and is the result of anaerobic, sulfate reducing bacterial reduction and oxidation of anhydrite and gypsum (H2SO4). So if you are looking for igneous activity in the area, don't use the presence of sulfur as an indicator. Also, some folks have suggested The Chimneys as a possible location of igneous activity. I have not been there in person, but on Google Earth, it simply appears to be an elongated erosional remnant of sedimentary formations (e.g. Rustler or Upper Delaware / Bell Canyon). I would like to know if anyone has any actual evidence of igneous activity at that location. The nearest igneous activity that I am aware of is located near the northeastern corner of the Sierra Diablo Mountains, some roughly 31 miles to the southwest. As a petroleum engineer who has reviewed many well logs in this area, I do have pretty good idea of the general geology...

secretgold

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably Mine has not been found!
I am author of several books which I will not mention in this post. I have searched for the mine from archives I have....a description from an Indian Squaw etc.
I have found the markers and purple hill Sublett stood on not far from the mine or prospect as it should be called. His mine is not near the Guadalupes!

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
secretgold tell us more, I to have done alot of searching in archives and on foot, people say that since they mine sulpher and potash in the Rustler Hills
that should point to volcanic activity, but this is not the case it is ancient seabed, now the delaware river valley looks more promising to me
and someone pointed out here the chimneys which are volcanic, an actual mini valcano in the middle of the desert valley, and all the geology there
looks much better for the formation of gold, i have lots of cool rocks from there granite, slate, and even marble, there used to be a marble quarry
in the hills on the west side of the valley, also I have found gold in the creek that runs east to the pecos along the state line (Rustler Bluffs).

here on t-net is the only place i have ever heard the mention of The Chimneys, Ash Mountain, and Burrow Spring being related to this
story, do you know of a story that mentions them?

secretgold

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Probably have some answers for you.
Give me a call 210-392-2132..
Best Regards,
Rod Johnson
author Secret gold Nugget Patches of Arizona

secretgold

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not in right place!
I purchased the archives of an old publishing company. Inside the archives were some very old maps and information.
I lived in Van Horn Texas....and searched all my life while I was young for the mine. ( prospect)
You cannot go by the legends and other BS!
Sublett got the location of the mine from an Indian Squaw. the landmark she disclosed was on the old maps...yes I have permission to search location and have been there. I am a geophysicist by trade...I own a drilling rig and workover rigs...active in exploring a huge deposit....420 ft...right now..

Mine is within a quarter of a mile of my search area.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDC

May 9, 2016
TX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i work the ranches that i beleive where the mine is located what strikes me is the sinkholes that are supposed to be bye a highway i know where a good many are that are reasonably close to highway 652 i know the country realy well other parts i dont work but i beleive if its in a sinkhole i may know the general location.......these sinkholes are DEEP some are shallow but theres alot in this country i dont know nothin about volcanic activity but i dont see it there however there is a series of small lone buffs that are near these sinkholes most of the soil with exceptions like below the caprrock that runs thru these ranches is gypsum soil but there is alot of red sand and rocks that appear to have quartz in them but they are a few miles away i do alot of hikeing for my job id like to get some of these rocks together and send them to someone who knows what the heck there doin. i have some ideas but no solid proof the mine is located here buit it like to look further as im there for long periods of time sumer is my slow season i havent tryed paning there i just recently found a set of gold pans and found im kinda hooked. i was wondering as ive heard tale of a group of spaniors that were ambushed bye appaches in this area and supposofly they were seasled in a cave with gold arms all kinds of things is this story related?

Last edited:

texaswier

Jul 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's probably here.

Looking for the lost Sublett Mine? I have a strong suspicion it is exactly at the following:

Take I-20 west from Odessa until you reach the town of Toyah. Turn right on 2903 and proceed to CR 221 on the outskirts of town. Take 221 to 222 and follow it until you reach Rustling Springs Rd. Proceed north for many many miles until you reach exactly this point: 31 deg. 42'37.86"N by 104 deg. 13'15.56" W (Elev. 3650). There will be a turnout to the right at exactly that point. The crevices (the ONLY crevices) in the Rustler Range of the Guadalupe Mountains are exactly 1.5 miles to the east of the turnout at exactly the following point: 31 deg. 43'18.29" N by 104 deg. 11'43.86" W. (Elev. 3441 ft.).

Bring rope. A lot of it.

Best of luck.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
To all of you new members, welcome to TNET from Texas and thanks very much for keeping the old legends alive. You ain't the first to search and I suspect you won't be the last. Have fun on your hunts...

goldenrecoveries

Oct 6, 2014
I Forgot
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
kam1, are you still looking for this treasure? If so, I am interested in working with you on it. If anyone else has an active search process going on I am interested in finding like minded people who want to work on solving things and finding treasure. I have time and resources and have been told I am a pretty bright guy...lol...lets talk :hello:

I know this is a very old post, but are u still interested in treasure hunting?

TrueBlueL.

Oct 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im in Midland currently busy working the oil patch, i dont have much knowledge in this hobby but if anybody needs an extra hand i can take some days off to go exploring as long as i dont get killed if we do find something I'll be glad to help.

secretgold

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2007
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I doubt that this person has found the mine.
I am actively searching for the mine and have extensive data. Also been on the ground found purple hill Sublett stood on etc. etc.

Oldbie

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2021
Reading through all the threads, looks like several of you are in the right vicinity. For those just starting out, it's not in the Park and is on private property. You will need permission to search. Best of luck!

Oldbie

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2021
It's probably here.

Looking for the lost Sublett Mine? I have a strong suspicion it is exactly at the following:

Take I-20 west from Odessa until you reach the town of Toyah. Turn right on 2903 and proceed to CR 221 on the outskirts of town. Take 221 to 222 and follow it until you reach Rustling Springs Rd. Proceed north for many many miles until you reach exactly this point: 31 deg. 42'37.86"N by 104 deg. 13'15.56" W (Elev. 3650). There will be a turnout to the right at exactly that point. The crevices (the ONLY crevices) in the Rustler Range of the Guadalupe Mountains are exactly 1.5 miles to the east of the turnout at exactly the following point: 31 deg. 43'18.29" N by 104 deg. 11'43.86" W. (Elev. 3441 ft.).

Bring rope. A lot of it.

Best of luck.
I've actually searched this area. It's not there. Beautiful place though. Like a mini Grand Canyon. You don't need a rope either. All the side pockets drain into the main draw. You can walk right into them all.

Oldbie

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2021
I've actually searched this area. It's not there. Beautiful place though. Like a mini Grand Canyon. You don't need a rope either. All the side pockets drain into the main draw. You can walk right into them all.

Attachments

• 20211201_095552_resized.jpg
    20211201_095552_resized.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211201_103453_resized.jpg
    20211201_103453_resized.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211201_120848_resized.jpg
    20211201_120848_resized.jpg
    692.6 KB · Views: 38

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread