PaJim

Dec 13, 2015
Detector(s) used
Land Ranger Pro
Whites coinmaster

Garret AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man... I was just coming on here to complain about this very thing! I got what I thought would be a great permission, dating back to 1700s.... Every 3 inches is a nail, or wad of foil. Worst part is, these old square nails are ringing by machine, sounding like silver. Dig the hole and I pull out nail after nail.

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At old homesteads there will be many nails and iron pieces all over.. Go slow and possibly turn down sensitivity a little--think of locations in the yard where there may have been more action-- maybe a clothes line or a big old tree or stump, maybe in a line to where the outhouse or well would have been, in the flower garden or vegetable garden-out near the mailbox, the edge of the driveway--also stories of gold coins being planted on the northeast corner of dwellings from the 16-17 hundreds. You have to be determined to get through some of those trash signals to find the hidden gems that are waiting for you. gl hh

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a 6.5"x4.5" coil for my AT Pro because I have 3 1700's sites that I am working on. I run my machine hot with iron audio on. It's loud but when you swing really slow you can pick out the good targets. I've found plenty of good stuff using my 8.5"x5" coil. Low and slow is the key. You're going to pull junk out but once your ears get trained you'll pull better targets more often. My first farmhouse was built in 1778 and after hunting it for three years I'm still pulling coins out. They're just waiting for you to find them. Have patience and happy hunting. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459795437.360209.jpg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I head for the trashy areas as I know people were there. I can't get excited about a old coin, but buttons and bullets are cool. Gold rings are even better. I am truly amazed every time I pull a find out of a hole.

OP
OP
TCAWarriors

TCAWarriors

Apr 7, 2012
East Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the feedback. I plan on going back and using a small coil a trashy park program and a lot of patience and see if I can find anything. I also want to go under the front porch which is enclosed with an intact wooden floor.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i made a cart with 5 rare earth magnets on it,its like they use to pick up nails.works good to clean up some of the trash.
brad
I had an opportunity to hunt a late 1800's home today. It was the most frustrating experience of my detecting life. There was so much trash and iron in the ground that if I masked it out the detector was silent. If I left it open it was unbelievable! I could pick out any targets because of the noise. Any suggestions? Are there some sites that you just have to pass on? I don't have permission to go back enough to clean it all out, which I believe would just about be impossible anyway.

I use an E-trac by the way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread