Suction in Quebec, Canada??

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just found my own answer to the question...

In Quebec, it is illegal to operate machinery in a watercourse and you absolutely must have a prospecting permit. You must also have permission from the owner to prospect for gold. You have the choice of prospecting with a metal detector for nuggets and panning for gold dust.

I am assuming that high-banking without discharge into a stream/river is legal. Canada is very conscientious about the quality of their water and does not like it to be disturbed. There is plenty of Crown land available for prospecting/leasing, so not to worry about being crowded out. Canada is a huge country, with somewhat less micromanagement than the USA or California.

For those needing further information in english see link below.
The first paragraph is cut and pasted from -

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I would NOT assume anything in a foreign country. I'm sure there is gold prospecting laws and prospecting clubs that can inform you with the correct info on this , BEFORE they cite you or worse yet ,cuff you ! I'm sure you are to smart to get yourself into that position ! Good Luck on your trip , sounds like a great one in the works !

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would NOT assume anything in a foreign country. I'm sure there is gold prospecting laws and prospecting clubs that can inform you with the correct info on this , BEFORE they cite you or worse yet ,cuff you ! I'm sure you are to smart to get yourself into that position ! Good Luck on your trip , sounds like a great one in the works !
I'll have more authoritative facts when I apply for a miner/prospectors permit. Even though my French language skills have become more rudimentary with age, I have found only a few prospecting groups in eastern Canada. The posts on the web are by individuals unrelated to any club or group. If anyone can post a link or two to a group, please do.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions