Sugestions for Detictors to use in highly mineralized areas high Iron & Copper

TDWay

Jun 4, 2011
Sugestions for Detictors to use in highly mineralized areas high Iron & Copper

Down here in the South and South east we have a high mineral content in the "soils", of Iron & Copper oxides, as most know they cause a lot of "back Ground Noise" Can I get some feedback as to what I need to look for in a metal detector to deal with this. BTW I would be using it also for Nugget hunting also, not just coins and relics.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Sugestions for Detictors to use in highly mineralized areas high Iron & Copper

I would think something with a manual ground balance.
-Swartzie

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Sugestions for Detictors to use in highly mineralized areas high Iron & Copper

TDWay said:
Down here in the South and South east we have a high mineral content in the "soils", of Iron & Copper oxides, as most know they cause a lot of "back Ground Noise" Can I get some feedback as to what I need to look for in a metal detector to deal with this. BTW I would be using it also for Nugget hunting also, not just coins and relics.

Look into the Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ, and the Fisher Goldbug II. :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Unfortunately, if you want to hunt nuggets, you'll need to get a higher end Gold machine which are usually difficult relic machines and vice versa. If money is an issue, try the Tesoro and the Fisher mentioned above.... Don't forget about the Minelab Eureka gold either. I used this machine for both nuggets and relics when we lived in the Colorado Rockies with great success.

utah1066

Nov 10, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
TITAN 3000 XD ,DFX, Minelab X-Terra 705 L Rods

look at the xterra 705 minelab great for coins and nugget hunting price around $600 new.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

utah1066 said:
look at the xterra 705 minelab great for coins and nugget hunting price around $600 new.
Of course!

I forgot.. LOL That's your machine, right there!

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro seem to be very forgiving of the high mineralization here in NW Arkansas. The Vaquero, Cortes and Tejon are pretty effective here. I used to have a Garrett Ace 250 and the mineralization here made it roll over and play dead, but even my low cost Compadre works well here, and my Cibola is a relic vacuum. Still get a few false signals, but after awhile you get to where you can tell the difference between the bad and good signals.
Hunting in Mineralized ground is a challenge and takes practice. You'll need to learn your machine-whichever you choose- and become skilled at understanding what it is telling you. Technology can help, but the problem here is that your ground balance in this spot might not be valid 100 yards over that way, or on the other side of the dirt road.

OP
OP
T

TDWay

Jun 4, 2011

Thank you gentile men, good stuff, it's muchly appreciated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread