gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The personal files and correspondence of both Wilkins and Palmer are a far more authoritative source on the maps than you are. Also, they tell a great deal more than what's been written about them and reveal what changes have been made to the actual historical record specifically to mislead people.

That's the benefit of conducting documentary research rather than what you do - pontificating from an armchair declaring that you know all the answers - with no knowledge whatsoever about what was really going on and, what's more significant, about what both Wilkins and Palmer were trying to hide.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The personal files and correspondence of both Wilkins and Palmer are a far more authoritative source on the maps than you are. Also, they tell a great deal more than what's been written about them and reveal what changes have been made to the actual historical record specifically to mislead people.

That's the benefit of conducting documentary research rather than what you do - pontificating from an armchair declaring that you know all the answers - with no knowledge whatsoever about what was really going on and, what's more significant, about what both Wilkins and Palmer were trying to hide.
LOL...fiction writing style research from a ufo and hollow earth quack such as wilkins.

Nothing more to see here.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest if you have an interest in Captain Kidd that you read The Pirate Hunter by Richard Zacks. It is a biography of the last years of Kidd's life.

Yes, he captured a valuable ship. But he was "thrown under the bus" by the powerful men in England who sponsored his ship and funded the expedition. The "treasure" from the Quedagh Merchant (an Indian ship under a British captain) which consisted mostly of cloth and trade goods. Some silver. That that had not already been forward to England on other ships or pawned in the Caribbean (to William Burke) was seized in Boston; but between what was used to pay crew and some left on Gardniers Island on his way to his intended destination of NYC it has pretty much been accounted for. I don't think his crew would have been interested in burying their "rightful" plunder shares.

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll be honest. I put this story right up there with Victoro peak. Some people said there was treason and some don’t. No definitive evidence or proof. I can tell you this. I doubt there’s much left if anything.

OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL...fiction writing style research from a ufo and hollow earth quack such as wilkins.

Nothing more to see here.....
There’s a difference between what Wilkins wrote in his books and what he wrote in his letters and in his research papers. And don’t equate Wilkins’ public face with his private and personal life and views. He didn't report everything he knew, and that much is evident from his files.

While nobody here will find it at all surprising, it’s nevertheless amazing that you have totally no idea that historians look to consult people’s private files, correspondence and diaries to determine the actual thoughts and actions that lie behind their influence on events and the part they played in them.

Wilkins' views on UFOs have nothing whatsoever to do with the information he obtained concerning the treasure maps, as I'm sure you're well aware. Concerning the maps, he was hiding the truth, and people got sucked in - including you.

Consult his personal files, not his books.

OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suggest if you have an interest in Captain Kidd that you read The Pirate Hunter by Richard Zacks. It is a biography of the last years of Kidd's life.

Yes, he captured a valuable ship. But he was "thrown under the bus" by the powerful men in England who sponsored his ship and funded the expedition. The "treasure" from the Quedagh Merchant (an Indian ship under a British captain) which consisted mostly of cloth and trade goods. Some silver. That that had not already been forward to England on other ships or pawned in the Caribbean (to William Burke) was seized in Boston; but between what was used to pay crew and some left on Gardniers Island on his way to his intended destination of NYC it has pretty much been accounted for. I don't think his crew would have been interested in burying their "rightful" plunder shares.
The maps have nothing whatsoever to do with the so-called pirate Captain Kidd, and Wilkins eventually came to realise this when he caught on that they actually applied to Oak Island at a later date. It's just that a ship's captain by the name of Kidd is mentioned in the files that contained the map instructions.

When new data is presented, sensible people reassess their views and change their minds if this seems to be warranted.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please provide any factual data that you have.

Wilkins is a proven purveyor of fiction and has no credibility in the realm of factual history.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When new data is presented, sensible people reassess their views and change their minds if this seems to be warranted.
On that we agree. But you are confusing nonsense with data. Show me the money. Until then - you're blowing smoke up our asses and the realists among us find that offensive.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that we agree. But you are confusing nonsense with data. Show me the money. Until then - you're blowing smoke up our asses and the realists among us find that offensive.
Ha ha...

smoke.jpg

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wacky writers often take genuine information and misuse and misdirect it, which is exactly what Wilkins did. That doesn’t mean that the original information they used is necessarily false.
...but it DOES throw even MORE suspicion that the information is false. Given Wilkins' reputation, accepting any of his writings as "evidence" would be like accepting investment advice from Bernie Madoff...

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ll be honest. I put this story right up there with Victoro peak. Some people said there was treason and some don’t. No definitive evidence or proof. I can tell you this. I doubt there’s much left if anything.
My own opinion on that is that there are TONS more (pun intended) credible evidence of a treasure at Victorio peak than a treasure at Oak Island. At least with Victorio Peak, we have photographs, official US Government documents, and MULTIPLE eyewitness descriptions of actually seeing a treasure there - NONE of which are available for Oak Island - other than film and photos of fruitless searches.

OP
G

gjb

Apr 21, 2016
UK
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300i
Garrett EuroAce
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...but it DOES throw even MORE suspicion that the information is false. Given Wilkins' reputation, accepting any of his writings as "evidence" would be like accepting investment advice from Bernie Madoff...
I do take the point, but Wilkins’ personal papers suggest something quite different. He intended to publish Palmer’s maps, but when Palmer refused he was actually being honest in putting what he believed to be genuine treasure instructions on the maps he created.

He was also honest in publishing in the same book the island outline to which these instructions actually belonged. As indicated, this is clearly Oak Island as it appears in Des Barres’ Atlantic Neptune the position and shape of which would have been plotted some 30 years before the Money Pit was reputedly discovered.

Wilkins didn’t want to give everything away, because he wanted a shot at Oak Island himself after Hedden identified the island for him. Hedden wrote in correspondence that Wilkins had no idea that his map was similar to Des Barres’ chart, but Wilkins checked up after Hedden’s visit and finally realised the truth. It wasn’t Captain Kidd, it wasn’t Juan Fernandez and it wasn’t the China Sea. It was Oak Island.

This is a treasure hunt, and it should be appreciated that Wilkins wasn’t being altogether forthcoming about what he knew - but I don’t think that he had the full answer as he claimed.

My point is that by taking what we know about the ground markers on the island and then assuming that the instructions on all five maps are genuine and that they apply to the underlying plan there is a strong likelihood that any major deposit on the island is highly unlikely to be in the Money Pit.

Wilkins was an eccentric from a working class background with a chip on his shoulder concerning the privileged upper classes of his age under whose prejudice he had suffered, including government. He was thus fully prepared to believe in cover-ups which he was keen to expose - hence UFOs as reported by pilots during WW2 and shortly thereafter and strenuously denied by the powers that be.

Wilkins was a product of his age and should be assessed as such. His world believed in buried treasure, treasure maps, treasure hunts and UFOs and, as such, Wilkins wrote about them in order to supplement his income.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread