cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your budget? The Minelab Equinox series is hard to beat for both nuggets, and coins/relics. Waterproof too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your budget? The Minelab Equinox series is hard to beat for both nuggets, and coins/relics. Waterproof too.
Cudamark gave a very good suggestion and it shouldn't break the bank, depending on your bank.

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
Thanks for the reply. Yea someone else mentioned that brand as well. I saw that the "600 vs 800" that they were very similar, just ones cheaper and the other has a few bells and whistles but as far as detecting they are the same. DO you know if thats true?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. Yea someone else mentioned that brand as well. I saw that the "600 vs 800" that they were very similar, just ones cheaper and the other has a few bells and whistles but as far as detecting they are the same. DO you know if thats true?
Not true if you want to nugget hunt. Get the 800 or 900 if you prospect. I would recommend the 900 if you can handle the extra cost.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for the 900 (upgraded 800), the 600 does not have the 40 khz freq which you want for small nuggets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for the 900 (upgraded 800), the 600 does not have the 40 khz freq which you want for small nuggets.
Neither does the 700. A nice bonus with getting the 900 is that you get the 6" coil along with the 11". That little 6" is great for small nuggets when using the Gold mode.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suggestion, instead of getting top-of-the-line machine, also consider the mid-class
machine..., like the Garrett line, or the Fisher line of detectors.
I own a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, but never prospect with it.... I hunt parks and the woods.
My Gold Bug finds pretty small flecks of gold, ones that I use for test, at home....
Pretty high kHz too - hot with s small coil....
Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
cudamark and Treasure_Hunter are on it.
for a do everything detector, and as of right now.
(detectors are changing fast.)
a minelab 800 with small coil,
or the 900 that comes with the small coil.
(note the small coil for nugget hunting.)
should do nicely in your area.
im still thinking of getting one, but the
reality is i can only swing one beeper at a time.
hell, most of the time i carry 2 detectors. the 6k and a
gold monster strapped too my back with a
rifle sling, for bedrock situations.
good luck. and post some gold when you get it.

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
I found one...! Got a barely used Minelab 800 for a great price. Now to the next questions. Anyone know some good hunting spots for coins, relics etc. in the San Diego / riverside area.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look intently at the Nokta Simplex or Legend machines. either punch way above their price

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any suggestions for a metal detector. I want to be able to look for gold in bed rock, but also be able to find buttons, coins, lost treasures. Willing to spend some money just not break the bank.

Thanks. Sean
One worth looking at is the Garrett AT Gold. I loved mine and it’s great for relics. It doesn’t have all the features of the Equinox but if this is your first detector that’s a good thing. It’s a very simple but rugged machine. The price is a bit outdated but a good used one is reasonable if you like what you see. Be aware though, there’s no volume control unless your headphones have a volume knob. Equinox 800 or 900 are great machines too. Definitely more of a learning curve but they have dedicated gold modes and are much more modern that the AT Gold.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any suggestions for a metal detector. I want to be able to look for gold in bed rock, but also be able to find buttons, coins, lost treasures. Willing to spend some money just not break the bank.

Thanks. Sean

The Best Metal Detectors to Uncover Buried Treasure by Popular Mechanics​

My own recommendation is Nox 800 but Garrett is good, Fisher is good, and Nokta Makro Legend or Simplex+ is good.

old texan

Sep 8, 2021
smack dab in the heart of texas
Detector(s) used
white's classic II white's dfx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one...! Got a barely used Minelab 800 for a great price. Now to the next questions. Anyone know some good hunting spots for coins, relics etc. in the San Diego / riverside area.
sean - how's it going - would appreciate an update - thanks and good luck

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
sean - how's it going - would appreciate an update - thanks and good luck
Haven't had a chance to get out yet, but im thinking im gonna head to san Gabriel canyon near LA, there is gold to pan and possibly detect and im sure a bunch of nails and lead to practice my skills lol.

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
One worth looking at is the Garrett AT Gold. I loved mine and it’s great for relics. It doesn’t have all the features of the Equinox but if this is your first detector that’s a good thing. It’s a very simple but rugged machine. The price is a bit outdated but a good used one is reasonable if you like what you see. Be aware though, there’s no volume control unless your headphones have a volume knob. Equinox 800 or 900 are great machines too. Definitely more of a learning curve but they have dedicated gold modes and are much more modern that the AT Gold.
Thanks for the info. I scored a NOX 800 for a crazy deal. Lots of Youtube vids on operation too.

OP
OP
Sean Au.

Sean Au.

May 1, 2022
Haven't had a chance to get out yet, but im thinking im gonna head to san Gabriel canyon near LA, there is gold to pan and possibly detect and im sure a bunch of nails and lead to practice my skills lol.
also might try the beach since im right here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread