Suggestions on small dredge

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m quickly learning that when processing the flypoops we have in Ohio it’s going to be all about speed of processing. Alas I’ll be pushing all my highbankers and river sluices into the corner and dragging home a dredge.

I am one man and don’t have gobs of time so I’ll be picking up something smaller, 2-2.5-3” range.

Probably something with the option of floats or no floats. Most of my better spots are along edges of the creek in low water or dry ish land so a blaster may be helpful?

Any of you guys have experience or suggestions that would be helpful?

Thanks a million

Attachments

• 1A7FC9CB-EFD6-48D6-90E8-C962C6884332.jpeg
    1A7FC9CB-EFD6-48D6-90E8-C962C6884332.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 1

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If I was in your situation I'd buy a used dredge to start with . and I'd pick a 3 inch (air compressor option) OR I'd Buy a new pump with air and wait on getting floats to save $$$ for now. You can add the floats if and when you get to that need ! I've been to Ohio with the Ohiogoldprospectors years (Ohiooutdoorprospectors )(they are on Yahoogroups) back and dredged their (gpaa) claims using my 2 inch Proline dredge (for ease in getting it around. I had my 4 inch AVA. but didn't wasn't to drag it around visiting their claims ! I had the option to buy a friends 2.5 in proline with air and didn't pull the trigger and I'm still kicking myself now BUT I can't use it cause I'm to beat up and OLD ! I'm assuming that you are going to be out by your self dredging and a smaller dredge would be to your advantage BUT there again ,dredging alone isn't a smart thing to do ! I had fun up there at the Swank claim with all the other people that I meet!

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, and I have done this before, just add a jet to one of your highbankers you already have. A suction nozzle would work too, espically if you are working the really shallow water. Why buy another sluice and motor to add to the collection. I'm not that familar with Ohio but I'm guessing that you could at least start with your highbanker legs util you think you need float. You could go up to 3" with this.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was in your situation I'd buy a used dredge to start with . and I'd pick a 3 inch (air compressor option) OR I'd Buy a new pump with air and wait on getting floats to save $$$ for now. You can add the floats if and when you get to that need ! I've been to Ohio with the Ohiogoldprospectors years (Ohiooutdoorprospectors )(they are on Yahoogroups) back and dredged their (gpaa) claims using my 2 inch Proline dredge (for ease in getting it around. I had my 4 inch AVA. but didn't wasn't to drag it around visiting their claims ! I had the option to buy a friends 2.5 in proline with air and didn't pull the trigger and I'm still kicking myself now BUT I can't use it cause I'm to beat up and OLD ! I'm assuming that you are going to be out by your self dredging and a smaller dredge would be to your advantage BUT there again ,dredging alone isn't a smart thing to do ! I had fun up there at the Swank claim with all the other people that I meet!

Thanks for the reply. I doubt I’ll be dealing with any deep water, that’s why I wasn’t worried about being alone. At least at first.

I hope to make it to the swank claim at some point. Looks like a great time.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me, and I have done this before, just add a jet to one of your highbankers you already have. A suction nozzle would work too, espically if you are working the really shallow water. Why buy another sluice and motor to add to the collection. I'm not that familar with Ohio but I'm guessing that you could at least start with your highbanker legs util you think you need float. You could go up to 3" with this.

The stuff I have is fairly small. I suppose it’s worth a look though. I have done a fair amount of building my own stuff. I have so little time to prospect or mine that I’ve found it easier to spend a few bucks for a tried and true set up. I can fabricate about anything but there’s a fair bit of time just working out the kinks in the stuff I’ve built.

Thankfully these gadgets and gizmos age pretty well. Just more crap to find a place for. Lol

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I have a lead on a 2.5” proline from a guy here local. Only about 45 hours on it. Honda pump, floats, and a suction nozzle.

Hope to pick it up this week!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you are always working less than 3' deep the forget the floating dredge. Get a high banker with a dredge attachment and shovel on

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Small dredges aren’t really that much faster at processing gravels than a river sluice or highbanker. Where they really shine is cleaning up bedrock. I converted my 2.5” dredge into a highbanker so I can shovel feed it all the overburden then hook up the nozzle when down to the good stuff on the bedrock where it’s difficult to scrape with the shovel.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the feedback. This is the unit. Looks like a done deal at this point, I hope at least. Nice machine and a fair deal I think.

I would like the dredge more for working around rock piles, on bedrock and under the edges of small waterfalls. All our gold in Ohio it small so it tends to gather around and under small stones. I have had great luck with my pump it’s just slow. It’s also hard to shovel in moving water. Even if the water isn’t moving all that fast.

I have some gravel bars that I’ll still need the high banker for.

Attachments

• 4E8791DD-580D-43FF-B7B3-A60D23D2778D.png
    4E8791DD-580D-43FF-B7B3-A60D23D2778D.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 42

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Small dredges aren’t really that much faster at processing gravels than a river sluice or highbanker. Where they really shine is cleaning up bedrock. I converted my 2.5” dredge into a highbanker so I can shovel feed it all the overburden then hook up the nozzle when down to the good stuff on the bedrock where it’s difficult to scrape with the shovel.
You are correct that a 2.5" dredge will work about as fast as a shovel. However, it is significantly more enjoyable to run a nozzle than a shovel

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are correct that a 2.5" dredge will work about as fast as a shovel. However, it is significantly more enjoyable to run a nozzle than a shovel

Some of the areas I’m wanting to run this have tight packed rocks, digging tight packed rocks really gets to being no fun in a hurry.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I drug the 2.5” proline home yesterday. I’m pleased with the deal. Saved a pile over ordering a new one and it hardly looks used.

Now just have to wait for the streams to allow for some working.

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I shouldn't ask , but what did you pay for it ? And what came with it ? Have you tried to start the engine ? I'm sure you will enjoy this little sweet heart !

I didn’t start the motor but it’s a Honda and in good condition. I’m confident it will run.

I have 1600.00 and a Gold hog multi sluice for it.

It’s got the Honda pump
Suction nozzle
Hoses solid and lay flat
Venture’ nozzle
Floats

Hole shabang

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread