Summer end's Gold, Fall's beginning Platinum (eyeball finds)

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Hi fellow treasurehunters.

This Summer was (again) a little slow in terms of treasure hunting.
But I found some loose change on the beaches we went to swim and I made some beachcombing walks that were very satisfying. And then at the end of August when I was returing from one of these walks, just when I arrived at the part of the beach where people are usually swimming, I saw this golden glittering among the sand and gravel, right on the breaking line of the waves.
It was a small 1,5x1,5cm golden looking bust of ancient egyptian Queen Nefertiti, the next wave would have swept it away into the sea.

attachment.php
attachment.php

It looked gold (the pics don't show the correct yellow-gold colour, should have used a different background and light...), it felt like gold in my hand but there are no markings on it as I saw and confirmed when I got home using a magnifyier (my long-sightedness is getting worse by the day...). But I also saw that the top loop once had broken off and a golden ring was soldered atop in it's place. But the new one was made of wire and the end opened up, so the pendant was lost.

I searched for a match online, various variations of this type of pendant are produced in 9K and 14K gold, I couldn't find a perfect match but most of them have another ring so they can be hung on a chain and the markings are on these rings. Mine is two-sided and looks vintage compared to the ones Google shows.

I have't had it tested yet, but I'm pretty sure it is golden and that warms my heart like the Summer sun :-)

A couple of days ago we went with my wife to this big shoping mall to buy a helmet for my 2,5 year old son (first wiggly balance bike runs for him now, so it's safety first!) but he fell asleep in the car and I had to wait for the misses to return (empty handed she did...). So the time the little one slept I strawled around the half empty parking lot, looking for lost coins. I found none but I saw this strange looking bolt (I thought at first) lying in one spot. Picked it up, then I thought it was one of these pen-guns but it was too small to be that. I saw it could be screwed apart and in there there is a pencil sharpener! And a ''Faber Castell'' logo is engraved into it ...

attachment.php
attachment.php

So when we went home I googled it up and it turned out to be the top-part of a Graf von Faber Castell, platinum-plated, so-called ''Perfect Pencil''. A new one with the original pencil still in place beign worth a couple of hundred Euros (or even more depending on the seller)...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Way too much money for a pencil in my opinion hahaha. But someone lost it and is still crying about that fact.

I polished it with a silver polishing cloth, it looked like it had been lying in that parking lot for quite some time, it was really black and tarnished.
Now the platinum plating is shiny again, well I did my best, it doesn't loo new... I'm not sure what I will do with it but for sure I wanted to share this with you guys, especially after falling all these years, again and again for those ''Platinum?'' threads in the ''What is it'' section hahaha!

Happy Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_0760.JPG
    IMG_0760.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0758.JPG
    IMG_0758.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Στιγμιότυπο οθόν&#951.png
    Στιγμιότυπο οθόν&#951.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 245
  • Στιγμιότυπο οθόν&#951.png
    Στιγμιότυπο οθόν&#951.png
    167.4 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Upvote 15

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice !! My late aunt was very big on gold Nefertiti jewelry. She had all kinds of sizes & variations. Every time I see one of those I think of her. Thanks for posting !!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the long sightedness didn't hurt you this time! beautiful save

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work yaxthri....good eye !! Happy hunting !!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You do better with the eyes than most do with the detector, congrats on the 2 finds.

RichsEquinox

Jan 20, 2021
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a big Ancient Egyptian artifact fan so that is a really cool Nefertiti find, congrats! You got good eyes seeing that before it got swept away.

OP
OP
yaxthri

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
You do better with the eyes than most do with the detector, congrats on the 2 finds.

Thank you peperj, well yes, I have to work with my eyes, metal-detecting isn't really legal here in Greece because of all the antiquities lying burried under the ground.
One can get a permit but it is a very controlled bussiness in terms of localities and all finds must be reported and checked by archaeologists. Many people practice this hobby illegally but usually the police gets hold of them and their finds and that's a good thing, too many ancient artifacts are smuggled onto the collector's markets abroad and are forever lost to science and museums.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions