Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down to north central Missouri to my hunting buddy's to do a little detecting. He took me to a farmstead that was shown on an 1877 plat map, but had recently been bulldozed twice, and was a real mess. My first good signal was a mixed signal that I finally decided to dig. So I cut an 8" plug and plopped it off to the side. Meanwhile, standing up to get my pinpointer out, I happened to look at the plug and thought, "That's strange. Am I imagining I can see a letter 'U' in the bottom of that plug?" I hollered at my buddy, who was eight feet away digging a signal, "Is this what I think it is? Or am I imagining things...or wishing things?" He stood up and said, "You a******. That's a US belt plate!" I said, "Nah, surely not." He came over and I picked it up out of the clod, and knocked off the dirt to reveal a US Civil War belt plate--My first! cw buckle3.jpg
cw buckle2.jpg
cw buckle4.jpeg
cw backside buckle.jpeg
dale1.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go! That is a wonderful find!

Reactions: Fat

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went down to north central Missouri to my hunting buddy's to do a little detecting. He took me to a farmstead that was shown on an 1877 plat map, but had recently been bulldozed twice, and was a real mess. My first good signal was a mixed signal that I finally decided to dig. So I cut an 8" plug and plopped it off to the side. Meanwhile, standing up to get my pinpointer out, I happened to look at the plug and thought, "That's strange. Am I imagining I can see a letter 'U' in the bottom of that plug?" I hollered at my buddy, who was eight feet away digging a signal, "Is this what I think it is? Or am I imagining things...or wishing things?" He stood up and said, "You a******. That's a US belt plate!" I said, "Nah, surely not." He came over and I picked it up out of the clod, and knocked off the dirt to reveal a US Civil War belt plate--My first! View attachment 1985841 View attachment 1985842 View attachment 1985843 View attachment 1985844 View attachment 1985838
Nice plate. Lot of history there!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down to north central Missouri to my hunting buddy's to do a little detecting. He took me to a farmstead that was shown on an 1877 plat map, but had recently been bulldozed twice, and was a real mess. My first good signal was a mixed signal that I finally decided to dig. So I cut an 8" plug and plopped it off to the side. Meanwhile, standing up to get my pinpointer out, I happened to look at the plug and thought, "That's strange. Am I imagining I can see a letter 'U' in the bottom of that plug?" I hollered at my buddy, who was eight feet away digging a signal, "Is this what I think it is? Or am I imagining things...or wishing things?" He stood up and said, "You a******. That's a US belt plate!" I said, "Nah, surely not." He came over and I picked it up out of the clod, and knocked off the dirt to reveal a US Civil War belt plate--My first! View attachment 1985841 View attachment 1985842 View attachment 1985843 View attachment 1985844 View attachment 1985838
Awesome!!! Congrats!!! How far from Purdy?

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think you are an a*******, but am just a little envious of such a cool find. Great save!!

OP
OP
Ia.FurTrade

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanx everyone for all your nice remarks ! ( & likes ! )

Iowa Dale

diggerdoug

Greenie
Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations!
Something every CW relic hunter dreams of finding...!
Not in bad shape, either....!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread