Super Vac 6.5 HP !

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been happy with the amount of suction power created by leaf blowers.
Seems the hose always accumulated dirt and gravels and sooner or later I would have to lift it up so gravity and suction could send the paydirt into the bucket.

Here is what I came up with to eliminate that problem.

I coupled a Honda GX200 6.5 HP engine to a Dust collector vacuum box.
First I had to modify the 1hp electric motor so I could put a pulley on the end of the shaft.
Removed the stator the armature and the cooling fan. Installed a pulley where the cooling fan had been attached to the shaft.

Next to increase rpm's I put a 2" pulley on the vacuum and a larger 3.5" pulley on the motor. bringing the rpm's up to a whopping 6,000
Having a 4" suction hose from the vacuum box connected to the top of the 10gal shop vac bucket pulling suction through a smaller 2" vacuum hose also enhanced the suction power.

Here is the finished project................

20210121_171843.jpg

20210121_171852.jpg

Go for the Gold :3barsgold:
GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of the box thinking IS working for you!:headbang: I like it !!

Thank's Russ,

I have been wanting to do this for a few years now and finally came across a FREE dust collector with a bad motor.
Salvaged the Honda engine off a power washer with a bad pump so not too much cash involved for the whole project.

The 4"x10' hose and the Harbor Freight wheels were the most expensive parts, so I figure all total I have around $50 in it.
Already had the shop vac assembly from when I used it with my leaf blower.

I converted my drywasher to a puffer so no need for a blower.

GG~

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you field tested it yet ? - My first thought is the 4 inch hose is going to suck everything out of the shop vac.
Cheers Mike

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you field tested it yet ? - My first thought is the 4 inch hose is going to suck everything out of the shop vac.
Cheers Mike

I like the way you think:icon_thumleft:

I thought about that as well, and though I have not field tested it as yet, I do have several ideas to prevent that from happening.
The test will dictate exactly what will be the best way to proceed.

I already have a baffle pointed down into the bucket from the 2" inlet and a 8" plastic bowl mounted underneath the 4" hose coupling attached to the underside of the lid allowing 1" of intake space all the way around the top of the bowl.

Any material would have to be pulled up and over the bowl to enter into the 4" hose. If that happens I will simply reduce the rpm's on the vacuum to lessen the amount of suction.

Also not shown is the dust collector bag that goes over the exhaust port of the vacuum box which would catch any material being sucked into the 4" hose.

I will keep you posted on the results of the field test planned for this weekend.

GG~

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheers Mike

OR fill that container every 30 seconds ???

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR fill that container every 30 seconds ???

That would be too much to hope for. I hate to shovel all day. :tongue3:

Lets see, 10 gallons every 30 sec. That would be a yard of material every 10 minutes.
3gr. of au to the yard = 1ozt au every 1hour 40 min. :hello2:

I will post how long it actually takes to fill the 10 gallon bucket after the field test.
I'm guessing 5 minutes. :dontknow:

More paydirt = more gold, the faster I get it, the better I like it. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be too much to hope for. I hate to shovel all day. :tongue3:
Lets see, 10 gallons every 30 sec. That would be a yard of material every 2 minutes :hello2:

I will post how long it actually takes to fill the bucket after the field test.
I'm guessing 5 minutes. :dontknow:

Well I built a smaller one like this a few years ago and stopped using it because I spent more time emptying it than using it...Good luck w/yours :)
> https://www.goldrushtradingpost.com/vac_pac_gold_vacuum

OP
OP
Goodyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to put my vac on hold until I build a new fan for it.
The original mild steel fan could not take the high RPM's and warped out of shape. :BangHead:
Was very happy with the performance up to that point, however. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i think you are going the right way.good luck ,i spend the money and got a keene and i really dont like it.i like going from the big hose to the smaller one. i think iam going to try and neck my hose down.
good luck brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread