Superstition Mts. new show on History Channel

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Altronsfu,

What some people from the area choose to speak about can change from time to time. No legal liability that way. One of the biggest non-publicized stories was a location of the "Pit Mine" in the Eastern Superstitions. Very few people know what came out of that mine, but it was worked surreptitiously during the summer months of 1997-1999. There is a rumor that a couple of the people involved said that they had found the Lost Dutchman Mine. That means that they weren't mining uranium. IF someone had been part of that, then as much as they would like the fame of being part of a crew that found a rich gold mine (LDM or not), since the dig was illegal they couldn't. But, things slip from time to time.

Mike

It's been rumored that some of the people involved in the "pit mine" excavation of 97-99 were also involved in the H.E.A.T (Historical Explorations and Treasures) operation approx ten years later......H.E.A.T. Members.
This is the only page from a website which chronicled that dig with videos and photos, that still exists as far as I know.
Bob Schoose and Jack Peskin are both listed as members who are also seen in the current series.
The H.E.A.T. project had discovered an old mine not far from the location of the "pit mine" and applied for a Treasure Trove Permit in order to legally excavate this mine. It was eventually granted and a GPR scan had shown evidence of a side tunnel and room containing a large body of metal within. The excavation was difficult and proceeded slowly, but just as they reached their goal of entering the room, the dig was abruptly shut down (or so it appeared at the time) by the FS.
From then on, nothing more was added to the H.E.A.T. website and silence descended.
So, what happened, we wondered ? Did they find a stack of gold bars in that room ? Was it the Lost Dutchman, a Peralta Mine ?
While we waited for news though, a new story appeared, the saga of the "pit mine", along with an announcement of a new book about this illegal dig.
There have been hints that the two mines are part of one larger story and that some of the people involved profited handsomely, receiving cheques of significant value for their efforts.

Regards:SH.

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was refering to bob schoose.
thanks somehiker for the info.
sounds like things were hushed up and that leads me to believe there is much more than is known.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
It's been rumored that some of the people involved in the "pit mine" excavation of 97-99 were also involved in the H.E.A.T (Historical Explorations and Treasures) operation approx ten years later......H.E.A.T. Members.
This is the only page from a website which chronicled that dig with videos and photos, that still exists as far as I know.
Bob Schoose and Jack Peskin are both listed as members who are also seen in the current series.
The H.E.A.T. project had discovered an old mine not far from the location of the "pit mine" and applied for a Treasure Trove Permit in order to legally excavate this mine. It was eventually granted and a GPR scan had shown evidence of a side tunnel and room containing a large body of metal within. The excavation was difficult and proceeded slowly, but just as they reached their goal of entering the room, the dig was abruptly shut down (or so it appeared at the time) by the FS.
From then on, nothing more was added to the H.E.A.T. website and silence descended.
So, what happened, we wondered ? Did they find a stack of gold bars in that room ? Was it the Lost Dutchman, a Peralta Mine ?
While we waited for news though, a new story appeared, the saga of the "pit mine", along with an announcement of a new book about this illegal dig.
There have been hints that the two mines are part of one larger story and that some of the people involved profited handsomely, receiving cheques of significant value for their efforts.

Wayne,

That's a pretty good story.......for a rumor.:laughing7:

Take care,

Joe

Lost Bayou

Aug 4, 2013
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must say, this ole boy from the low lands, is enjoying the show. Different tales and scenery make me want to take a vacation out there one day. That being said I live in the state of the Duck Commander, swamp Man, and swamp people. The shows are embellished for your entertainment.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne,

I think I was the one that came out with that theory. I still think it is a very good one too. I don't know anything specific about anybody's involvement with the illegal "Pit Mine" Dig. EVERYTHING I theorize about that event is strictly my own opinion, and is backed up with only anecdotal and circumstantial evidence. I don't have any inside information about the Pit Mine Dig.

Mike

Last edited:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne,

Take care,

Joe

Hi Joe:

Indeed. But just another story added to the long history of the search for the Lost Dutchman Mine.
One which would have stoked the fire within LDM seekers and other treasure hunters if bullion HAD been found within that room.
Far better for those involved, private and government alike, to cancel rather than conclude that "reality series".
The Waltz/Two Soldiers/Senner/Walt Gassler "pit mine" story however, has already dampened the fires of some DHers. This may also be a good thing, in the sense that it cuts down on the number of people trampling down the landscape while looking for something already "found".

Wayne,

I think I was the one that came out with that theory. I still think it is a very good one too. I was referring to Bob Schoose. I know he and his son were part of Ron Feldman's HEAT Expedition. I don't know anything specific about anybody's involvement with the illegal "Pit Mine" Dig. EVERYTHING I theorize about that event is strictly my own opinion, and is backed up with only anecdotal and circumstantial evidence. I don't have any inside information about the Pit Mine Dig.

Mike

Likely was Mike, and as I remember, your thought generated some positive response at the time.
I myself thought there might be something more to the story first presented by Joe re:the "pit mine", and your suggestion caused me to revisit the accounts of treasure trove dig. That you might be on to something seemed apparent to me.

Wayne

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So.....the book never came out?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So.....the book never came out?

Two books were published.
Lost El Dorado Of Jacob Waltz by Jack San Felice....about the Waltz/Two Soldiers/Senner/Walt Gassler mine.
and
Deep Fault by Ron Feldman.....a fictional adventure story but.....

"Of particular note are the Epilogue and Appendix which detail Feldman's non-fictional activities with H.E.A.T. (Historical Explorations and Treasures) as he sought and received a permit from the U.S. Forest Service to investigate a mine in the Superstition Wilderness he refers to in the story as Geronimo's Cave. This is fascinating and of real significance. Quoting the Appendix (the Archeological Report on the mine prepared by Dr. Glenn E. Rice and Eric Steinbach): "Although H.E.A.T. found no gold in the mine (and indeed, no other artifacts other than the support beams), the investigation has documented a type of mine that on the basis of technology and archival research must pre-date 1860, and thus is very likely to be an example of a mine excavated during the Mexican period of influence in the Arizona Territory. The documentation of the adit provides an historical basis to the stories and traditions concerning Mexican-era mines in the Superstition Wilderness, and contradicts the general consensus in the historic literature that there were no Mexican mining ventures in the Superstition Wilderness."

http://www.superstitionmountainmuseum.org/museumgifts/deep-fault-p-226.html

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Take care,

Joe

I think I was the one that came out with that theory. I still think it is a very good one too.
Mike

Mike was the one who came up with that theory in the LDM forum ("Lost or Found?" thread).

Funny enough, Joe had a very different answer to Mike's post then, than he did to SH's post above.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...........and since I stated that theory, not one person has told me that I was wrong.

Deducer,

When it comes to anybody's first hand knowledge regarding illegal digs and/or finds on public lands, I don't hold anything against anyone whose story or answers changes. Its the best way to avoid any "Imperial Entanglements". If they ask, you can just tell them that you lied about the whole thing.

Mke

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how many of you actually watch legend of superstition mountains, but I just found something that I thought was interesting...

On the most recent episode (episode 3, I believe) the crew goes to Bob Schoose (owner of the Goldfield ghost town) for help finding leads to the treasure, Bob says clearly that he never found it but that he has a map from another family that mined the gold from the Dutchman mine.

Now that's all well and fine, however, I was perusing another show that I like to watch occasionally: Ghost Adventures. On this program they were in apache junction (season10 episode8) and spoke with Bob Schoose as well. As they toured the mountain with Bob, the crew asked Bob if he found the mine, hesitantly he responded that he DID find it, and they passed it as they were riding up the mountain. And that he managed to get about $1 million out of it.

This is interesting to me because he is lying to someone. Either he lied to ghost adventures and he was just blowing smoke to deter people from searching for it, or he's gonna have a jolly old laugh when the superstition mountains crew finds a cleaned out gold mine.

Just things to think about, I guess.

and Bob Schoose says something dif here
[h=1]Diggers n Divers P 2 - The secret of the Peralta Stone Maps, Treasure Hunting[/h]starts @ about 3:35
Uploaded on Jan 1, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/user/CannonBeachTreasure/videos

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
since the show i posted was in 2011 and the others were 2015
wonder if that hunt he was going on in the diggers and divers
episode payed off.
he prob didnt stake a claim to what if any mine he found

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always want a second season and high ratings Cw. If you find something or solve a riddle it is game over. Would be neat to solve this riddle and then mine the mine. But that will never happen. We are already seeing thing set up for them like stacked rocks ,apache hands, Bobby traps. That is reality TV.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the current series, Bob doesn't really answer Wayne's question "Did you find it Bob ?".
He just gives Wayne "the look".....so no contradiction there.....:laughing7:

That statement he made in the "Ghost Adventures" show, describing his take of "about a million dollars" from the mine, should raise an eyebrow or two though.
And this was the exchange, which along with Joe's reports of certain principals having received large checks related to the story of the "pit mine", made me consider
Mike and Joe's suggested connection between the two digs as a valid one.

Joe Ribaudo
Post subject: Re: LOST OR.....FOUND?
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:29 am
icon_user_offline.gif
Expert

Mike McChesney wrote:
I know this is old, but in rereading this thread I wanted to make mention of something:

Donald,

Maybe you didn't get to document this discovery, but I bet people like Feldman and Schoose would NEVER let something like this stay under the table forever. Take a look at the H.E.A.T. Crew:

H.E.A.T. Members

Notice they have an Archaeologist and a Documentary Film Maker. I bet there is ample footage and that the site was well documented by their Archaeologist.

Mike

Mike,

I believe the H.E.A.T. dig was a different animal altogether. IMHO, they used that dig as a cover for whatever was taken out of the "Silver Chief". Beyond that, it's really more than possible (likely) that there were some "officials" who were part of the Pit Mine excavation. I know of at least two men who were "silently" involved.

Without the help of one of those men, there would have been no discovery of the Pit Mine.

All of the above is just my, somewhat, informed opinion.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Two books were published.
Lost El Dorado Of Jacob Waltz by Jack San Felice....about the Waltz/Two Soldiers/Senner/Walt Gassler mine.
and
Deep Fault by Ron Feldman.....a fictional adventure story but.....

"Of particular note are the Epilogue and Appendix which detail Feldman's non-fictional activities with H.E.A.T. (Historical Explorations and Treasures) as he sought and received a permit from the U.S. Forest Service to investigate a mine in the Superstition Wilderness he refers to in the story as Geronimo's Cave. This is fascinating and of real significance. Quoting the Appendix (the Archeological Report on the mine prepared by Dr. Glenn E. Rice and Eric Steinbach): "Although H.E.A.T. found no gold in the mine (and indeed, no other artifacts other than the support beams), the investigation has documented a type of mine that on the basis of technology and archival research must pre-date 1860, and thus is very likely to be an example of a mine excavated during the Mexican period of influence in the Arizona Territory. The documentation of the adit provides an historical basis to the stories and traditions concerning Mexican-era mines in the Superstition Wilderness, and contradicts the general consensus in the historic literature that there were no Mexican mining ventures in the Superstition Wilderness."

Deep Fault - $19.95 : Superstition Mountain Museum Gift Store, Lost Dutchman Goldmine Museum

Wayne,

First of all: You left out "Jacob's Trail" by Jesse Feldman.

At the start of the Feldman "dig", a good friend asked me what I thought they had there. This was well before the Pit Mine became a.........story. My educated answer was, an old spring that had been dug out to supply water for cattle and wildlife. That is still my opinion concerning the "official" dig.

If deducer has another opinion, he should flesh it out at least as much as I have done. I believe all of the current information concerning that mine originated with me, by way of my friend David Leach, although some of the information I dug up on my own.

So far, all of the conclusions are conjecture based on circumstantial evidence.

On the other hand,one of the principles did state, at an open meeting at a Rendezvous, that he believed that the Pit mine was the LDM.Many people on this forum heard him make that statement.My question is........who would know better.Other than those who were involved in this affair, I don't think anyone knows more about it then myself.Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Deducer,

When it comes to anybody's first hand knowledge regarding illegal digs and/or finds on public lands, I don't hold anything against anyone whose story or answers changes. Its the best way to avoid any "Imperial Entanglements". If they ask, you can just tell them that you lied about the whole thing.

Mke

IMHO, the best way to avoid "Imperial Entanglement" is to not boast that you know the people that were involved in an illegal dig.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe:

Yes I did. Because I wasn't sure that it was about either dig, or both. I haven't read any of them as a matter of fact, and rely on what has been reported by yourself and those who have visited the site of the "pit mine", as well as what has been revealed within those discussions pertaining to both. I had a friend who went out to the site of the "treasure trove" dig early on, and that it was merely a tapped spring was his opinion as well. Given the Feldman's claim that the timbers ect. reveal an early spanish working, would your opinion be that the spring was excavated for such a purpose (cattle and wildlife watering) during that time frame ? Or would you agree that it's possible the original excavation was either a mine which became unworkable due to it's continual flooding, or a mine which for the same reason, may have been chosen as a secure place for a cache of some kind ?

Wayne

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe:

Yes I did. Because I wasn't sure that it was about either dig, or both. I haven't read any of them as a matter of fact, and rely on what has been reported by yourself and those who have visited the site of the "pit mine", as well as what has been revealed within those discussions pertaining to both. I had a friend who went out to the site of the "treasure trove" dig early on, and that it was merely a tapped spring was his opinion as well. Given the Feldman's claim that the timbers ect. reveal an early spanish working, would your opinion be that the spring was excavated for such a purpose (cattle and wildlife watering) during that time frame ? Or would you agree that it's possible the original excavation was either a mine which became unworkable due to it's continual flooding, or a mine which for the same reason, may have been chosen as a secure place for a cache of some kind ?

Wayne

Wayne,

Jesse did cover the Pit Mine in his book.

Many ranchers in Arizona hired Mexican labor. If there was a Spanish/Mexican flavor to the timber, I would suspect that a local Mexican ranch hand worked the early clean out of the spring.

I believe it was an old cattle/wildlife watering hole. No change from my initial thoughts.

I see the series wild-bunch is getting around to your old bat guano workings.:laughing7:

Take care,

Joe

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread