Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today it’s sure looks like a tiny Clovis but that site seems pretty squarely in the woodland to protohistoric range, maybe it was a triangle worked to a scraper. But I gotta ask because I got that little voice saying what if? If it weren’t for the small size and location I’d probably be a lot more excited.
E2A8134A-978B-497E-A580-B3F704BFABDA.jpeg
F9EC1CED-B3DE-49F3-9C0F-25B5BAE8DD74.jpeg
8701D379-8D00-409E-9A50-3FD34562CC1B.jpeg
4B596353-5172-49AF-96C4-29860262066F.jpeg
07BBA6D2-59BD-4FD1-9CCF-3DA7A29E9B58.jpeg

Upvote 10

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Very nice find. Is the rounded edge of the top chipped that way? The other jagged edge is a break?

It does look like a paleo point to me from the photos.

In the early 90's I found a very well made thin agate basin. It was so small and thin I thought it was a flake at first. A 2 inch long flake.

Your point is small, but its still very nice.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
3CCEFA44-253B-4EEE-A314-A894857EC23A.jpeg
FC8005DD-848B-4A8F-9794-4AC7AE9B980A.jpeg
It is very tiny, but miniature fluted points are out there.

These two Barnes fluted points are each only 1 3/8” long.

And a couple of very small fluted points from a Ct. dig. 21mm is only about 3/4” long….

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may be a Paleo Bi-Lo point. I think that's the name. Same age as Clovis but they are tiny, I found one in quartz locally 40 years ago.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew finally get some time, well I’m encouraged by your responses, I’ll have to look into the other point suggestions, did have a thought about a basic feature I overlooked, I don’t think the edges are ground. But would they be on such a small point? I don’t know if size has an impact on grinding of paleo points. Thanks all for the input.

Reactions: Fat
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had other people say they thought paleo too, now I’d love to know, a paleo point is high on the wish list I’m just worried if I get too excited I’ll be let down, half tempted to take it up to ku, not sure if any of my professors are still around but I’m surprised that so many people think it actually could be paleo. It would be great to confirm but I’m not interested in mailing it out or paying for an Id. Other than taking it to a university is there a way to get a positive Id on a point?

Reactions: Fat
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some house keeping here… it is in fact not what it looks like. Curiosity got the better of me and I reached out to a professional. Here’s what he said

“What you have is a small unotched point. It is a very well made, pressure flaked, arrowhead. The tip was refurbished after having sustained damage. The flake removal at the base is not a flute, but basal thinning via pressure flaking.”

Kinda what I thought but it sure looks like it could have been Paleo.

badkharma

Mar 25, 2017
Central NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert, but I've been looking at artifacts for 40 years...sure looks paleo to me

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too haha but I’m afraid I’m too close to it, it’s hard not to have your judgment clouded a little when you have a personal find that could be something special.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I missed this thread the first time around. Did the professional handle the point or just look at pictures?

It does look paleo to me, and depending on the depth of the site, I've found Clovis artifacts on the surface with pottery age relics.

There are also lots of small points that can look like paleo points before they are notched. So I see where he is coming from.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pictures, I’m Leary of trusting my hard earned points to the postal system and or it being lost if a professional doesn’t get to it right away.
As far as depth it was a foot at most but I’m not sure it applies in this case because it was tucked up against a limestone overhang wall on some bluffs about a foot down you hit solid limestone again, the site is essentially crumbled limestone with some fine dirt filling the gaps

I also wonder how much he feels obligated to play it safe, if for example he says it’s paleo and I turn around and sell it claiming it’s been authenticated by so and so it may come back on him.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are swaying me back to totally unsure haha sure would be cool if it was, sure looks like one.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing that Canadian paleo reminded me of this, gonna give it a bump for new eyes. Sort of similar, but the other post is a bit more well defined.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread