Surface find

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex
Primary Interest:
Other
Iā€™ve found some unique ā€œfirstsā€ the past few times out. Today I found this badger skull on the prairie. Things got some mean teeth. I donā€™t recall ever finding an intact one despite probably 10,000 miles of remote hiking over my lifetime. They are not super common here. Found a nice chunk of obsidian too.
7D255660-2855-41E5-882E-AAEC65CDFAAE.jpeg
79A58215-CEA7-4E1D-8173-36732BACBBFC.jpeg

Upvote 17

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve found some unique ā€œfirstsā€ the past few times out. Today I found this badger skull on the prairie. Things got some mean teeth. I donā€™t recall ever finding an intact one despite probably 10,000 miles of remote hiking over my lifetime. They are not super common here. Found a nice chunk of obsidian too.
View attachment 1987828 View attachment 1987829
Nice on the Obsidian!!! I'd pass on those teeth!!! šŸ˜³ Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Timbermaster

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have used a light bleach/water mix on some other skulls. They came out pretty good. For some reason I like the way this one looks au natural the way it came off the prairie. I think I will keep this one as is.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of natural too.Nice find,all I ever seem to find is doe deer or squirrel heads,gnawed too bad to do any thing with.That,s a bad looking cartridge there too.454 Casull? Nice find and good eyes.

OP
OP
Timbermaster

Timbermaster

Oct 21, 2018
MT
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crash, itā€™s a .45 Colt cartridge. Thanks for the kind words.

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have your wife pick up a bottle of strong bleach from the beauty shop and give that thing a bath. Should turn out snow white. That's a neat find for sure.
bleach will weaken the bones. with bleach they will become brittle and flakey. with skulls you want to degrease them with a soap like dawn. better yet use beetles like the taxidermists use. then cure with a clear apoxy or paint it white and then clear cloat after degreasing them

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bleach will weaken the bones. with bleach they will become brittle and flakey. with skulls you want to degrease them with a soap like dawn. better yet use beetles like the taxidermists use. then cure with a clear apoxy or paint it white and then clear cloat after degreasing them
Dermestid,beetles that is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions