Surfside Beach

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Recently spent 2 weeks at a resort in Surfside Beach which is south of Myrtle Beach. Worked the sand north to the state park and south to the pier. Braved the water to thigh deep with the water temp about 66 and the air 43 and windy. Was warm enough with a full skin and dive boots. After Christmas everyone who found a detector under the tree was out giving it a try. Plenty of horses and dogs on the beach, they are permitted this time of year. Not much for finds, 2 bucks in clad and some junk earrings. Oddly almost all of the coins were from the 1980's and most came from a cut in front of the trailer park that a passing storm opened. Most days I had the beach to myself. Would love to try here in the summer, everyone said it gets packed then. Was told there had been some replenishment sand added to the North Myrtle beach area, I did not hunt there.

Tek

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a goot trip... Hoping to head over to the coast this week pending weather...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 4-5 yrs back they replenished from north myrtle to south of surfside somewhere. total of 30miles and 10' of depth in places so a couple of local detectorists told me. Brought it in from beyond the breakwater which is waaay out there, or so they said. I've pulled a few silver blings from that area, but I only go when the crowds aren't around.

You might want to check as there were a couple of signs on the beach inside surfside city limits saying no metal detecting. I'm sure tom will chime in and say screw it do it anyway, but be sure and ask him if he will pay your fine/etc.
In all seriousness, you might want to check into it before next time.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 4-5 yrs back they replenished from north myrtle to south of surfside somewhere. total of 30miles and 10' of depth in places so a couple of local detectorists told me. Brought it in from beyond the breakwater which is waaay out there, or so they said. I've pulled a few silver blings from that area, but I only go when the crowds aren't around.

You might want to check as there were a couple of signs on the beach inside surfside city limits saying no metal detecting. I'm sure tom will chime in and say screw it do it anyway, but be sure and ask him if he will pay your fine/etc.
In all seriousness, you might want to check into it before next time.
Tom has never said to detect a place that has "no metal detecting" signs...so why would he now?

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was up in north myrtle last year and didn't have much luck either. No doubt about the beaches getting packed though. For as many people as I saw on the beach every day I figured The place would have been loaded. Saw plenty of guys on the dry but never came across another detector in the water. Used to stay in surf side or garden city areas and the beaches still had plenty of action but nothing like the areas to the north.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom has never said to detect a place that has "no metal detecting" signs...so why would he now?
Because I've seen him advocate continuing to hunt an area that a detectorist has been hunting and then finds to be legally offlimits.
But I certainly may be wrong; he may have changed his opinions.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Because I've seen him advocate continuing to hunt an area that a detectorist has been hunting and then finds to be legally offlimits.
But I certainly may be wrong; he may have changed his opinions.

Hi champ-ferguson, as lookin-down says, my stance that if there truly were rule that specifically said "no metal detecting", then fine. So be it. By all means you can't argue with that.

What you may be confusing in issues is that I do not take that to mean: a) go ask "can I metal detect?" (if there were no prohibitions), or b) confuse ancillary things as "necessarily" applying. Eg.: "alterations", "defacement", "cultural heritage", "harvesting and removing", 'bothering sea lions", etc...

So it boils down to what you are referring to as "legally off-limits". If it's true that some place is "legally off limits", then by all means, don't go. But if it's not off-limits by specific verbage saying so, then you don't need permission. No-more-so than you need permission to fly frisbees. Afterall, frisbees "might poke someone's eye out", so perhaps that falls afoul of verbage that disallows "annoyances" or "maiming and injuring other individuals"? Hence you should worry or wonder if you can fly frisbees? No. Of course not. Same logic for md'ing.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tom,
Best of luck in all your hunts!

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfside Beach....LOTS of good eating there!!!
Seafood places line both sides of the road into the inlet. At least they did when I lived in the area.
:)

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still do. Definitely good eats. I need a vacation

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty much agree with what you posted Tom.
Most of the time, it just a matter of common sense
Which unfortunately appears to be uncommon, judging by the videos on U Tube such as: How to shower, How to turn a two way switch "ON" or the "OFF.
Most likely the operation of a three way switch would be better left for a seminar or how to book.
Sorry for the sarcasm (NOT); but How do you know when the sign is bogus, or when someone who does not have the authority.
I suspect, that just placing a sign, or telling you to go away does not make it legal or enforceable.

What I am trying to get out, is how to determine when the restriction / ban is bogus.
It is fairly obvious, when it is the real McCoy.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HaHaHa. My point is DONT BELIEVE ME, or anyone else on the internet. Go to the source if you aren't certain.
fwiw, the sign I saw had an extensive list of what wasnt allowed on the beach and cited state and city codes that applied. It wasn't some crayon hand lettered sign, it was quite obviously a goobermint sign that some agency had paid someone's brother in law's sign shop too much to make. Professionally done, like a highway sign. But again, KNOW for yourself unless you want to take the risk. It isn't some 3rd world country where they might throw you in jail and extort your family for your release. (oh wait, has someone advocated doing this in a 3rd world country too......?)

But hey, if signs and laws don't matter to you, or are something that you feel you have no duty to investigate, why bother. Just claim you didn't see the sign. (hey, that might even work with permissions on private property too!) Tip tho, don't be as arrogant as some come across on the boards with the cop- that seems to have the opposite of the desired effect.

I honestly wish those that try this route the best of luck in not getting prosecuted as it is bad for the rest of all the honest law abiding detectorists.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

....... How do you know when the sign is bogus, or when someone who does not have the authority.
I suspect, that just placing a sign, or telling you to go away does not make it legal or enforceable.

What I am trying to get out, is how to determine when the restriction / ban is bogus.
It is fairly obvious, when it is the real McCoy.

Sir gala, all laws and rules MUST be printed SOMEWHERE. Sure, maybe not all on the sign at the entrance to a beach, but at least down at city hall, or the park's office, etc... In other words, there's no "secret laws" that can't be looked up. They HAVE to be written somewhere, and they HAVE to be available to view by the public. For example, more and more entities are listing their muni codes, charter, laws, rules, etc... on-line. So if you go there, and find the park or beach rules, presto, there you go. If you don't see something that said "no metal detecting", then .... well, there's your answer.

If there's no website, and you're still really worried the sign at the entrance to the park or beach isn't complete enough, and/or if you REALLY feel the need to talk to a live person, you can do it this way: when you go in to their offices (or hit the "contact us" tab on their site), you ask in this way: "Where can I view a complete list of ordinances and rules that apply here?" So for example, if you were to ask that at the desk at some city hall, perhaps they'll have it in binder form behind the counter, to pull out for public viewing. Or refer you to where it is on the net, or at the library, or wherever. It HAS to be somewhere, and it HAS to be available to public viewing. Notice this is much different than thinking this needs "permission", so this is not the same thing as "asking permission". It's still looking things up for yourself.

As for THIS particular beach, if it's true there's a sign that said that, then it must be written somewhere in their rules you can view before you even physically go there.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in surfside in august. glad I could clear away some cans for you.. I did get my first penny (clad)

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently spent 2 weeks at a resort in Surfside Beach which is south of Myrtle Beach. Worked the sand north to the state park and south to the pier. Braved the water to thigh deep with the water temp about 66 and the air 43 and windy. Was warm enough with a full skin and dive boots. After Christmas everyone who found a detector under the tree was out giving it a try. Plenty of horses and dogs on the beach, they are permitted this time of year. Not much for finds, 2 bucks in clad and some junk earrings. Oddly almost all of the coins were from the 1980's and most came from a cut in front of the trailer park that a passing storm opened. Most days I had the beach to myself. Would love to try here in the summer, everyone said it gets packed then. Was told there had been some replenishment sand added to the North Myrtle beach area, I did not hunt there.

Tek

Been going to MB for more than 15 years.
The replenishments have been important for finding fossils, but they just serve as as a cover-up for detecting.

Laws for the state parks are quite different from the laws for the public beaches.... but, regardless, if you were hunting in Surfside and the adjacent state parks, you were in the lowest traffic areas.... the Grand Strand north of Surfside extends for miles. From Surfside , to the parks , on to Pawley's Island is a very different animal

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sir gala, all laws and rules MUST be printed SOMEWHERE. Sure, maybe not all on the sign at the entrance to a beach, but at least down at city hall, or the park's office, etc... In other words, there's no "secret laws" that can't be looked up. They HAVE to be written somewhere, and they HAVE to be available to view by the public. For example, more and more entities are listing their muni codes, charter, laws, rules, etc... on-line. So if you go there, and find the park or beach rules, presto, there you go. If you don't see something that said "no metal detecting", then .... well, there's your answer.

If there's no website, and you're still really worried the sign at the entrance to the park or beach isn't complete enough, and/or if you REALLY feel the need to talk to a live person, you can do it this way: when you go in to their offices (or hit the "contact us" tab on their site), you ask in this way: "Where can I view a complete list of ordinances and rules that apply here?" So for example, if you were to ask that at the desk at some city hall, perhaps they'll have it in binder form behind the counter, to pull out for public viewing. Or refer you to where it is on the net, or at the library, or wherever. It HAS to be somewhere, and it HAS to be available to public viewing. Notice this is much different than thinking this needs "permission", so this is not the same thing as "asking permission". It's still looking things up for yourself.

As for THIS particular beach, if it's true there's a sign that said that, then it must be written somewhere in their rules you can view before you even physically go there.

Agreed.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ooops...just realized I meant Murrells Inlet, just south of Surfside Beach. THAT is where all of the boats come in with fresh catch and the restaurants line both sides of the road. :)
Would think the replenished sand had to come from somewhere. Might still have goodies lost in it. Plus the tourist traffic in the Grand Strand is high enough to replenish lost items. And a few rough water times could bring in some really lost treasures.
Now, just finding the legal places to swing.
:)

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew where you were talking about ezman, I can't remember the fancy one on the left side of the road but I'd drive right to it if I were there. Mouth waters just thinking about it. Right there near the boat ramp.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
........Laws for the state parks are quite different from the laws for the public beaches....

Flex68, by this I gather than you mean that if any of us can find "dire sounding wording" about md'ing in our respective state park's verbage, that it doesn't necessarily mean beaches are included in that. Right? Thus such verbage which can be interpretted as such (cultural heritage, etc...), is meant to apply to the state's LAND parks, NOT the ocean's beaches. Is that what you're trying to say?

If so, that is also the common interpretation here in CA too. For whatever reason, in the last 30+ yrs. of this here, there's this belief (perhaps it's true) that "you can't hunt state of CA parks". But that's always been deemed to be the inland parks, not beaches. No one has ever thought for a second that you can't hunt state-of-CA beaches. (which are most of the coast-line in the entire state). That's always been seen as different (afterall, you CAN'T hurt the beach by digging afterall , right? no sacred historic monuments on the beach, right? doh!). And they've just always ever been hunted, since the earliest days of detecting.

However, the same state "parks dept" that manages/administers those land parks, is the very same state "parks dept" that manages their beaches. Same exact entity. Same exact rules. There's actually no reason why the same rules that might be said to prohibit you at in-land parks, doesn't also apply to the beaches. Yet as anyone here knows, you can hunt beaches here till you're blue in the face, and never have a problem.

So I suspect it's the same at other states too, where it's just considered obvious that such things are applied to land sites (specifically historically themed or sensitive ones, etc...), but that don't mean beach sand. And for the most part, the average beach lifeguard or rangers must think the same thing (perhaps never gave it a moment's thought!).

So what does that tell us all? That ACTUAL REALITY is what really guides us. Not what verbage *could* be found to apply, if you kept asking long enough and hard enough of enough purist archies. So let's just hope that those beaches where it's not a problem STAY that way, and that no one goes asking for clarifications. Doh!

Last edited:

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Flex68, by this I gather than you mean that if any of us can find "dire sounding wording" about md'ing in our respective state park's verbage, that it doesn't necessarily mean beaches are included in that. Right? Thus such verbage which can be interpretted as such (cultural heritage, etc...), is meant to apply to the state's LAND parks, NOT the ocean's beaches. Is that what you're trying to say?

If so, that is also the common interpretation here in CA too. For whatever reason, in the last 30+ yrs. of this here, there's this belief (perhaps it's true) that "you can't hunt state of CA parks". But that's always been deemed to be the inland parks, not beaches. No one has ever thought for a second that you can't hunt state-of-CA beaches. (which are most of the coast-line in the entire state). That's always been seen as different (afterall, you CAN'T hurt the beach by digging afterall , right? no sacred historic monuments on the beach, right? doh!). And they've just always ever been hunted, since the earliest days of detecting.

However, the same state "parks dept" that manages/administers those land parks, is the very same state "parks dept" that manages their beaches. Same exact entity. Same exact rules. There's actually no reason why the same rules that might be said to prohibit you at in-land parks, doesn't also apply to the beaches. Yet as anyone here knows, you can hunt beaches here till you're blue in the face, and never have a problem.

So I suspect it's the same at other states too, where it's just considered obvious that such things are applied to land sites (specifically historically themed or sensitive ones, etc...), but that don't mean beach sand. And for the most part, the average beach lifeguard or rangers must think the same thing (perhaps never gave it a moment's thought!).

So what does that tell us all? That ACTUAL REALITY is what really guides us. Not what vebage *could* be found to apply, if you kept asking long enough and hard enough of enough purist archies. So let's just hope that those beaches where it's not a problem STAY that way, and that no one goes asking for clarifications. Doh!

Tom,
I haven't been back to either of the two parks in years, and when we went we were looking for sharks teeth, not MDing.
However, to borrow from Champ's earlier post regarding the signage:
The sign I saw had an extensive list of what wasnt allowed on the beach and cited state and city codes that applied. It wasn't some crayon hand lettered sign, it was quite obviously a goobermint sign that some agency had paid someone's brother in law's sign shop too much to make. Professionally done, like a highway sign.

They had huge signs coming into the park, in the parking lot, and at the start of the accessway to the beach for the Huntington Beach State Park down around Murrell's Inlet, which also has substantial 'inland' areas. I don't think that the signage at Myrtle Beach State Park was quite as substantial, but not certain after all this time.

Anyhoo, my point was that one should realize that these state parks have waaaaay more things to be aware of than the adjacent/nearby public beaches.
And, for whatever it may be worth, there were zero detectorists on the park's beaches while we were there.....hugely different than the numerous areas we have stayed in Myrtle Beach over the years, when one is hard pressed to look out onto the beach at any hour of the day or night and not see someone swinging.

Does this mean that there is no hunting allowed in these 2 'coastal' state parks, hunting allowed only from the surf line to the dunes, hunting allowed only in the surf, etc?
Don't know.

I just know when I walk out onto the public beach, I don't have to worry about the nuances or the small print: metal detecting is 100% Kosher, and digging is allowed anywhere but the dunes.

Ciao!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread