Surprising New Site: Silver, Military, and Best of all Masonic Cufflinks!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm usually looking for 18th century spots, but I always thoroughly search any new spot even if it seems to date squarely in the 19th century. This was one of those sites where the first few dozen targets were post Civil War and clustered around the 1880's so I wasn't expecting much older than the 1860's. It's on a road where the sites have all been detected before, but this spot was littered with those old iron beer can fragments so I think the previous detectorists gave up on it pretty quickly. I don't mind clearing some surface iron though and there were enough interesting targets that I kept at it:

DSC09773.JPG

Every now and then I would unearth a flat button and even a few tombacs, but that's not unusual for 19th century sites. Near the foundation I found an absolutely gorgeous brass button though:

DSC09777.JPG DSC09779.JPG

It's an inch across so dandy sized, but most definitely Victorian. The moon is a separate piece that has two prongs that passed through a hole in the button and then were bent over. Very cool looking, but not that old. I was hoping I would stumble on some small silver that had been missed and to my surprise I instead stumbled on a fairly big chunk of silver:

DSC09790.JPG

Sterling pocket watch bezel! No markings unfortunately and I haven't been able to find any other pieces, but definitely unexpected and appreciated. I found a surprising number of suspenders buckles all clustered around one area of the foundation. Too spread out to be a single spill, but still oddly close together:

DSC09775.JPG

One military button turned up and while it's a pretty standard general service eagle button, I was able to track down the original veteran that it belonged to:

DSC09797.JPG DSC09798.JPG

The foundation is marked as belonging to an Samuel Hickox and I looked through the Civil War rosters and found him listed:

DSC09800.JPG

He served with the Massachusetts 49th Infantry and participated in the Siege of Port Hudson. Pretty crazy to think that this button was likely on his uniform at the time.

There weren't too many coins, but the quality of the few I did find can't be beat. I even found a seated dime which is very rare for me around here:

DSC09784.JPG DSC09785.JPG

It's an 1886 Philadelphia mint which isn't a scarce date, but it's in great condition. The 1863 IHP on the other hand is in exceptional condition; especially considering how the cupronickel pennies usually do in the ground. This one doesn't even look like it was dug if not for a little dirt I left in the crevices to help the design pop. It was right on the lip of the foundation so practically no moisture for the last 160 years! The last coin I found was the most surprising though. It was very deep and a crummy signal. At first I thought it was a button since it was too thin to be an IHP, but as it dried in my hand the writing suddenly popped:

1 Pfennig.jpg

Colonial copper, and one I hadn't seen before to boot! It was actually pretty hard tracking down what this was; I knew it was German, but it's from the German States period and there are quite a few different varieties of the 1 Pfennig out there.

DSC09781.JPG DSC09782.JPG Untitled.jpg

As it turns out it's a 1780 1 Pfennig from the Duchy of Brunswick-L?neburg. My first German coin from the 18th century and something haven't seen before so a pretty awesome find, but the next target blew it out of the water. It was another crummy signal, but very shallow so I was thinking a fragment of brass sheet or another iron whatsit. Instead I pulled out a perfect set of cufflinks and the design was unmistakable:

Masonic Cufflinks.jpg

Masonic cufflinks!!!:hello2::hello2:

I've seen a couple of these posted on here before, but it's been awhile and they really aren't common at all. Behind the GW eagle cufflinks (which I dug last year :laughing7:) these were the style of cufflinks I've most wanted to dig a set of. :icon_thumright:

DSC09793.JPG DSC09794.JPG

I did minimal cleaning since they were nearly perfect right out of the ground. They have the cast and drilled shank construction so on the older side. As it happens I know the exact lodge where this person would have attended Masonic gatherings. It's a 1760 house that's still standing and when they were restoring one of the rooms they found a large masonic crest behind one of the walls and in the ceiling. That house is less than 2 miles from where these were excavated! Pretty amazing to hold these in my hand especially since the local history of the Masons is so well established.

I'm good friends with the current owner of that 1760 house and he was very excited to hear that I found a set in the area. I had detected his yard some time back and I had mentioned that there were masonic cufflinks known to exist, but they were very rare and the chances of finding a set in his yard were slim even with the activity. As it was I found almost nothing 18th century in the yard due to extensive landscaping, but to still find a pair nearby is incredibly lucky!

A pretty amazing spot considering and while I'm still pretty sure that the foundation is post Civil War, there may have been an earlier cabin that dated back to the 1770's. Glad I can still surprise myself with great finds in an unexpected spot!

Last edited:
Upvote 28

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those cuffs are the bomb

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome saves!!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
You have an interesting span of eras there Paleo. I think you are right about there being an earlier dwelling. Those cufflinks are killer ! Congrats!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
attachment.php
Nice finds. I found the matching cufflink here in the Jersey Pine Barrens

Attachments

• masonic cufflink.jpg
    masonic cufflink.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 329

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow! what a bunch of killer finds! congrats man, that is some good hunting. those masonic cufflinks are awesome and that Indian is a beaut! love it all.

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds!!! Congrats!!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice hunt and I'm sure there is a lot more to be found there. I like that German coin and the Masonic Cufflinks are a nice find. I have actually seen quite a few of those posted and found a set myself. The cufflink on my bucket list is the hot air balloon one. Here are my Masonics. They are not drilled eye shank.

Attachments

• 2.Cuff Links.jpg
    2.Cuff Links.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 38

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, seems like a great spot!

I know what you mean about seated's, for whatever reason, i haven't found one in like 10 years.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, seems like a great spot!

I know what you mean about seated's, for whatever reason, i haven't found one in like 10 years.
I don't know what it is about seated silver. I can't seem to find it either. I've found 72 Spanish silvers, but only 4 seated.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow wow wow! :hello2: What a great variety of finds Max, loved reading the history behind what you found as well. :thumbsup:
I had a similar thought, with all that activity where the heck are all the coins at?

I just love this 'Moon' button, I've never seen a piece attached to the face of a button like this, I'm also surprised that there's no makers mark.
Love the detail on this suspender hardware as well.

Just curious what program and settings you use on your Deus?
I use GM Power #2, Disc. 0, Sens. 93, kHz 7.7.
The non-ferrous just screams at you, the only thing is buttons tend to hit in the high 50s - low 60s range, similar to shotgun shells.

Dave

Attachments

• DSC09777-crop.JPG
    DSC09777-crop.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC09775-crop.JPG
    DSC09775-crop.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow! What a great variety of finds Max, loved reading the history behind what you found as well.
I had a similar thought, with all that activity where the heck are all the coins at?

I just love this 'Moon' button, I've never seen a piece attached to the face of a button like this, I'm also surprised that there's no makers mark.
Love the detail on this suspender hardware as well.

Just curious what program and settings you use on your Deus?
I use GM Power #2, Disc. 0, Sens. 93, kHz 7.7.
The non-ferrous just screams at you, the only thing is buttons tend to hit in the high 50s - low 60s range, similar to shotgun shells.

Dave

I've read up quite a bit on the numismatic history of the United States because it's pretty fascinating in of itself, but the takeaway always seems to be that there was a chronic and regional shortage of precious metal change in circulation throughout the entirety of the 19th century. There's were usually a decent number of copper coins in circulation on the east coast, and on the west coast and towards the south there were plenty of silver coins in the second half of the 19th century, but on the east coast it was uncommon to see silver and even rarer to see gold in general day to day circulation.

A big factor was that the US mint was always slow to change the weights of coins so when the price of silver rose, the US silver coins would invariably be higher in intrinsic value than the face value and would get exported or melted down. Also a ton of mid 19th century silver coins made their way up into Canada since there wasn't domestic production of coins until later in the 19th century and US coins filled in the gap alongside privately minted copper tokens.

There's also the fact that Spanish silver coins were plentiful and until the US got around to demonetizing them (in 1857!) they were readily accepted in commerce and were much more common than Federal coinage. As a result of all this I think it was just pretty rare for someone to be walking around in the northeast with a US silver coin in their pocket and so we don't find them except on very rare occasions.

But that just makes the occasional seated or even rarer capped bust coin that much more awesome to see in the dirt!

On the detector; I used to habitually use the Deus in the fast program, but I've found the the GM program goes deeper. It is worse at giving clear target VDI numbers, but I just dig up everything including questionable signals and I end up surprising myself with some nice non-ferrous targets in between all the iron strap fragments. Lately a lot of copper coin targets have been reading up as 30 or below which may be due to how dry the ground has been, so I almost don't pay attention to the VDI any more and just dig everything repeatable.

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean about seated's, for whatever reason, i haven't found one in like 10 year

Yeah, if you take out that 19th century campsite I found last year I consistently average 2-3 seated a year which for the number of sites I detect is a crazy low proportion. For awhile there I had more GWI buttons that seated coins! Only one capped bust in all the sites too; although I have 4 counterfeit capped bust half dollars so that's something I guess. :tongue3:

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
amazing site and hunt, so many cool relics and coins. Big time gratz

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding hunt Paleomaxx. The cufflinks and the unusual copper are my favorites. It's always a thrill to find something new and different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread