"suspect it is the Navy button prescribed in 1802"

G

GWW

Yesterday after the bad news I got from Don Troiani concerning my so called "Bucks of America" button (please see that post), I was really bummed out. Don allowed me to send along some pictures of another eagle button I had found recently and honestly I wasn't expecting this message from him:

Gary,

I'm not an expert in post -revolutionary buttons but I think you have a SUPER rare one there. My reference materials do not show it, but I suspect it is the Navy button prescribed in 1802 although it might be even earlier. If you like I can show the pictures to a friend who may be able to tell you more. You may have the only or one of the very very few examples. A great find!!! dt

Then I sent him the following email:

Thanks Don, that's super. I would be very grateful if you could send along the pics.

Impossible for me to gauge its age because the site produced a Spanish cob dated 1668, several 18th century Spanish silver coins and later coins up until the late 1800s have been found. After I discovered the site I researched it and found out 3 different houses have been there through the generations. If you can get a date for it, It is likely possible I can find out who owned the house then. I have local books that give a lot of this info.

It is quite possible I can find out who wore this button...wouldn't that be sweet?

At this point you know as much as I. I am really hoping for some better feedback than the BOA button deal. Whatever the outcome, I will post a follow up. I have broad shoulders and it will be what it will be...

Here is the picture, ain't she a beauty? (she only has 11 stars, what does it mean?):

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Between your bucks of america and this one, I am totally jealous. I just sent my Good pictures I got back of my shako plume holder to Mark Parker. I will let you know what he says....Lance

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GWW

Re: "suspect it is the Navy button prescribed in 1802"

I am reposting pictures at another members request. The other pictures are gone. HH, Gary

Upvote 0

Cajunme

Aug 25, 2004
Central, La
Detector(s) used
Fisher, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "suspect it is the Navy button prescribed in 1802"

that has to be the best button of its type i have ever seen. the petina is beautiful and no damage. what an exciting find. now the fun begins with its history. Brent

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions