Suspender Clip? Age?

Rjtkraft

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I found this buckle (?) next to a 19th century church and old school. The church dates back to 1860's. I have looked online but have not found another version of this one. Hoping for help on identifying it and the age. I was thinking suspender clip, but could be wrong. The wording on it appears to state "LEVER BUCKLE". Photo attached.

Attachments

• Buckle.jpg
    Buckle.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 149

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has the look of a late 1800?s suspender buckle, but the mechanical design is different than the ones I have found. I like the strap theory. (Often there is a Pat date on the back. Look carefully) congrats!

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I had to guess I would wager late 1800s

Upvote 0

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you enlarge the photo I'm pretty sure I see the word Levi on the left hand side of the buckle.

Edit: Sorry, I thought I deleted this post after I saw that the OP had already seen the words on the buckle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2020
NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum SLT, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I found this buckle (?) next to a 19th century church and old school. The church dates back to 1860's. I have looked online but have not found another version of this one. Hoping for help on identifying it and the age. I was thinking suspender clip, but could be wrong. The wording on it appears to state "LEVER BUCKLE". Photo attached.
It is a suspender buckle and I believe it is from the Excelsior suspender Co. of New-York. There were other Excelsior suspender companies in Ohio and Illinois. I believe the original is from New-York. There was also an Excelsior mfg. co. in N.Y. Excelsior is NYS's motto. I have this exact buckle and another one just like it with the word, "EXCELSIOR", on it. This is how I was able to research it. That buckle goes back to at least the 1870's. Very nice find!

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2020
NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum SLT, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a suspender buckle and I believe it is from the Excelsior suspender Co. of New-York. There were other Excelsior suspender companies in Ohio and Illinois. I believe the original is from New-York. There was also an Excelsior mfg. co. in N.Y. Excelsior is NYS's motto. I have this exact buckle and another one just like it with the word, "EXCELSIOR", on it. This is how I was able to research it. That buckle goes back to at least the 1870's. Very nice find!
Most likely 1860"s

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread