✅ SOLVED Sutler Token? Rev War Button? Need Help!

crazydigger68

Greenie
Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I found this item while hunting for Civil War relics in Northern VA (Fairfax Station area). It is about 1" diameter - a little larger than a quarter (but as you can see the edges are a little deteriorated). It is made of a white metal - pewter? Solid except for the edges. Has a clear "5" in the center and some writing around the edges with some letters clear. I thought maybe a sutler token? Or maybe a Revolutionary War button? Any help is appreciated!
Thank you
Frank

Attachments

• IMG_5352.jpg
    IMG_5352.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
C

crazydigger68

Greenie
Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry - forgot to mention the other side. The back is flat and blank. I don’t see any mark that would suggest a button shank or any signs of letters or marks like the front. Thank you for looking!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

crazydigger68

Greenie
Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information! That’s a perfect fit and solves that mystery. I really appreciate your help identying this piece. Now instead of putting it in a junk drawer I can display it in a nice case!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[FONT=&quot]Schenkman's book on sutler tokens lists the metal as lead, but it's possible that pewter or some other white metal alloy might have been used. The rim damage shown in the photo does look similar to the sort seen on many dug pewter Rev. War period buttons.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the past, this token has been rated R9 in rarity (fewer than 5 known to exist), but then nearly all sutler token are rare.[/FONT]

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
140 - NY C-10 L R9 EF With some residues as is not uncommon with these Lead tokens. G. C. F. Sutler 10 struck in Lead. G. C. Freeborn was theSutler for the 5th New York Volunteers. An exceedingly rare Sutler and a variety missing from the Tanenbaum collection. From the John Ford collectionearlier from Harmer Rooke's May 1970 sale. (1500-2000)
Source: http://civilwartokens.com/auction39.pdf
Don...
PS: Welcome to Treasurenet !!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread