Sweet Finds From The Old Dump! (Revised)

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a 63 year old kid, no question about it, I just love kicking around an old dump!

After all the excitement at Lake Havasu yesterday, I needed to go somewhere quiet and unwind a bit, so I headed for an old small town dump I hit a few weeks ago. First thing when I rolled up I see four other people md'ing the spot I was headed for. Down the hill a couple hundred yards below them there are indications of stuff but not nearly like up the hill. Whatever, I just needed some peace.

Right away I started finding cool old stuff and within a couple of minutes pulled a 1937 buffalo! Just a short time later I got the old 'good luck' token with Boulder Dam on the back.
IMG_4881.jpeg
IMG_4882.jpeg

Other fun finds were a copper leaf jewelry piece, an old faucet handle, a compact lid, a strange wire thing embossed with 'STD. OIL CAL.', a tiny perfume bottle, an opium bottle(?) and some other metal things.
FullSizeRender.heic.jpeg
IMG_4889.jpeg

The marble was an eyeball find.
IMG_4873.jpeg

This place is pretty tough to hunt with all the bottle caps and other random metal stuff.
IMG_4875.jpeg
IMG_4876.jpeg

For every one you see, there are dozens just under the surface. Tough, but fun!
I'll keep at this place from time to time as it's fairly close by and I'm sure there are lots of goodies hiding amongst the trash.

Thanks for lookin' and I hope everyone is able to go out and get their fix!

I just realized I posted the same pic twice and didn't show the reverse side pic, so here it is!
IMG_4890.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 38

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a 63 year old kid, no question about it, I just love kicking around an old dump!

After all the excitement at Lake Havasu yesterday, I needed to go somewhere quiet and unwind a bit, so I headed for an old small town dump I hit a few weeks ago. First thing when I rolled up I see four other people md'ing the spot I was headed for. Down the hill a couple hundred yards below them there are indications of stuff but not nearly like up the hill. Whatever, I just needed some peace.

Right away I started finding cool old stuff and within a couple of minutes pulled a 1937 buffalo! Just a short time later I got the old 'good luck' token with Boulder Dam on the back.
View attachment 2076259 View attachment 2076260

Other fun finds were a copper leaf jewelry piece, an old faucet handle, a compact lid, a strange wire thing embossed with 'STD. OIL CAL.', a tiny perfume bottle, an opium bottle(?) and some other metal things.
View attachment 2076261 View attachment 2076262

View attachment 2076263

This place is pretty tough to hunt with all the bottle caps and other random metal stuff.
View attachment 2076264 View attachment 2076265

I'll keep at this place from time to time as it's fairly close by and I'm sure there are lots of goodies hiding amongst the trash.

Cool finds! That spot is definitely worth revisiting!

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022

View attachment 2076263

Great hunt. That marble is beautiful. You might try to have it looked at. Who knows, could be a rare one? What is that STD Oil Cal piece?

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did ok and had some fun unwinding. I believe the bent up wire that says STD OIL CAL is actually a dip stick for checking the oil level on a small engine of some sort. I could be wrong, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021

View attachment 2076263

Oldmxrat, Good day

Looks like you have a good spot, findings are coming.

That token is interesting. Any printed date on it?

Congratulations buddy.

Keep swingin in that area, which detector are you using?

Keep in touch
Jorgeke
😎👍🏽

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the marble and the little perfume bottle bud. :thumbsup:
Sometimes our best finds are the eyeball finds!

Interesting that your 'Good Luck' aluminum token has nothing stamped into it, those were often dispensed from machines that allowed you to personalize them. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Attachments

• 1998033.jpg
    1998033.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1998033-2.jpg
    1998033-2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 8

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on your finds :) Almost every Buffalo i get you can not READ the DATES ON :(

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2076263

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt. That marble is beautiful. You might try to have it looked at. Who knows, could be a rare one? What is that STD Oil Cal piece?
Thanks Kody!
I have no idea, was hoping someone on here would recognize it.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did ok and had some fun unwinding. I believe the bent up wire that says STD OIL CAL is actually a dip stick for checking the oil level on a small engine of some sort. I could be wrong, but that’s what it looks like to me.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
Aha, that would explain the hashmarks, good call!

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! A Buffalo nickel with a date. I didn’t know they put dates on those!
8-)

Nice going on your finds :) Almost every Buffalo i get you can not READ the DATES ON :(
I think all the buffalos I find weren't circulated long before loss, I've only found one that was dateless so far.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2076263

Good haul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread