KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came across this place last Summer (2019) and never posted the pictures... but found it interesting. I remember two different accounts of the Swift story related to the last year (1769) and removing all signs of their work. One states it was walled up using masonry (assuming stone and mortar of some sort) and another states the use of timbers. This was a limestone opening I found while hiking one afternoon, sorry for the poor quality...it was an old phone I had.

IMG_20190925_183806.jpg

IMG_20190925_183916.jpg

IMG_20190925_183945.jpg

IMG_20190925_184036.jpg

IMG_20190925_184050.jpg

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of different perspectives about Swift from old timers put in the news papers in the late 1800s. Almost first person accounts. These could be dismissed, but may also explain all the false signs around the state. Please read and keep an open mind. I think every option or possibility of this story should be pursued and offered up for scrutiny.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ine&y=11&x=13&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=2

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ine&y=11&x=13&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=2

Last edited:

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pictures!!!!!! I especially like the 4th down, looks like a masons block wall with the mortar cracked and the middle falling out. Very cool

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the pictures are of the same little overhang about 8-12ft in dimensions taken from both sides. Easy to overlook and from a short distance of 50ft or so appears natural because of it's age. You can see a well worn trail passes right by in one of the pictures. I believe some of what we look for is hidden in plain sight.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Heard a story of a rock house that the back of was walled up with rock and mortar that a guy was using for hogs to shelter in. Said he had no idea how long it had been that way. Said it was that way when he got the land.

Last edited:

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pics. Believe I would have stuck my arm back in the cracks as far as I could and got some pics. Might of been shocked at what ya would have seen.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics. Believe I would have stuck my arm back in the cracks as far as I could and got some pics. Might of been shocked at what ya would have seen.

I know where it is and can check it out again at any time...the second picture shows what looks like cement along the ground, to me that says all I need know. Not from the late 18th century but still interesting none the less.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wondered about the Filson connection to the Swift story...the oldest document professing the Swift Silver mine is real.

In 1788 John FIlson and Robert Breckenridge file a land entry for a 1000 acre square tract laid on the cardinal points (N S E W) around a mine worked by a man named Swift. At said mine, Swift reports he has extracted from the ore a considerable quantity of silver, some of which he made into dollars... The location being some 60 or 70 miles from Martin's Cabbin. This was the first of a four step process in obtaining a land grant.

The questions i present are these.
1). Who was Robert Breckenridge and what was his interest in the silver?
2). "Swift reports he has extracted from the ore a considerable quantity of silver"
a). Sounds to me like this infers there were other metals extracted from the ore as well. Was this a lead operation and a considerable amount of silver was extracted also?
b). This also infers that Filson or Breckenridge has spoken with Swift "Swift reports..."

Some 5 years later ... in 1793, Col. James Harrod, who founded Harrod's Station, the first settlement in KY in 1774, disappeared (died) near the three forks of the Ky River (near present day Beattyville, KY) looking for Swift's Silver mine.

3). Who were the two men that accompanied Harrod on this search for Swift's mine? One is named, the other is not in every account I can find.

These questions I ask because the answers may reveal clues to the truth beneath the legend. If anyone knows anything please leave an answer here in the this thread.

https://ed-henson.blogspot.com/2011/06/john-filson-and-james-harrod.html

http://vagenweb.org/wise/SilverMines/Uncovered.html

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at your picture below, you can see there are very well traveled paths under those ledges and receive regular hikers. Looks to me like they didn't want that overhang to collapse on hikers or perhaps there was an overlook on top of that overhang or lastly there was a cave behind it they walled up, we see that alot here in Minnesota up in St Paul, people always going in them, they used to be for cold storage and they've walled them closed.

overhang.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at your picture below, you can see there are very well traveled paths under those ledges and receive regular hikers. Looks to me like they didn't want that overhang to collapse on hikers or perhaps there was an overlook on top of that overhang or lastly there was a cave behind it they walled up, we see that alot here in Minnesota up in St Paul, people always going in them, they used to be for cold storage and they've walled them closed.

View attachment 1871821

Excellent observation, you are correct in one of your assertions. This is on the back edge of a private property. The house sits about 100ft back from the top of this ledge. The trail skirts the edge of a park and gets daily use. This was a narrow cave opening under a rock ledge. As I recall when I was a child in the early 1970s, we could get back about 30-40ft on our hands and knees. Due to the age of the home I would suspect they didn't want to be liable is someone got hurt under and in their yard. I never knew it got sealed off until the day I hiked past it and realized where I was! Being just under 50years old it does show how easily and quickly a mortared up opening can blend into the landscape.
This is actually in Louisville, KY...in a city park called Cherokee Park not too far from where I grew up and loved to play with my friends on rocks. Across the street from this location is a place called 'Big Rock'. It is a table top rock that sits in Beargrass Creek with 40ft cliffs above it we climbed around on.

Big Rock pictures link

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...&form=RESTAB&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this is also why I didn't post this last year when I found it...but the post was to make a point. It is real easy to walk past something 50ft away and think it is a natural formation. Something can be right under your nose and unless your very observant you'll miss it.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Mush like the mines I posted pics of last summer, you can walk within 20 yds. of them and have no idea they are even there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread