Swingin' in the rain

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out and about and came upon some corner tear outs. Starting to sprinkle but I had the water proof detector in the car so worth a peek. And then it let loose! Wind and rain and rain and wind. After about 15 minutes even my stubborn streak had to give in.

IHPOB060920.jpg IHPREV060920.jpg

Well worn but pleasing patina and not too much corrosion.

Whatsit060920.jpg

I don't know:dontknow:. But the little hole makes me think it may have hung from a chain or something. Don't want to try to pry it apart for fear of having it fall apart.

CopperWeddingBand060920.jpg

One of those old gold plated copper wedding bands. Areas of gold still intact inside the band. Only I'm not sure this ring was as much lost as tossed.

10K060920.jpg

Might be my imagination but I'm thinking I see a "10K" inside the band. I don't think I see "plated".

Apparently swindling isn't a new craft.

Today's finds...

1902 IHP
A whatsit that may have been a piece of jewelry.
Copper wedding band that may have been sold as a genuine gold ring.

PBS

Upvote 15

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Out and about and came upon some corner tear outs. Starting to sprinkle but I had the water proof detector in the car so worth a peek. And then it let loose! Wind and rain and rain and wind. After about 15 minutes even my stubborn streak had to give in.

View attachment 1840141 View attachment 1840142

Well worn but pleasing patina and not too much corrosion.

View attachment 1840143

I don't know:dontknow:. But the little hole makes me think it may have hung from a chain or something. Don't want to try to pry it apart for fear of having it fall apart.

View attachment 1840145

One of those old gold plated copper wedding bands. Areas of gold still intact inside the band. Only I'm not sure this ring was as much lost as tossed.

View attachment 1840146

Might be my imagination but I'm thinking I see a "10K" inside the band. I don't think I see "plated".

Apparently swindling isn't a new craft.

Today's finds...

1902 IHP
A whatsit that may have been a piece of jewelry.
Copper wedding band that may have been sold as a genuine gold ring.

PBS

Dude you are brilliant. That should be the metal detectors moto. Swinging in the rain......!!

Swinging in the rain
Just swinging in the rain
I have a good feeling
about searching this lane.

I've been out all night
I'm feeling all right
I'll havn't made banner
I'm only half white........

Just swingiiiiiiiiiiing, swinging in the raaaaaaaaaaaain.!

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job on saving the IH and the ring which otherwise would have been lost forever I bet if you were hitting big silver you wouldnt have even noticed the rain.lol.....Tommy

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Keep in mind that 10K is only about 42% gold; the remaining 58% are metals that can easily corrode. If you want to, really scrub that ring; the amount of golden shine may be surprising.

aj

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice hunt. Congratulations

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice ajaj. Took a brass brush to it. Alas, still mostly green. Did give more clarity to the mark. Now I think I see two pimples in the 0. 18K??
Scrubbed.jpg

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are SO MANY times I have wanted to relic hunt in the rain. Disappointed $1k doesn’t get you a waterproof rating for light rain. What’s it take...?! O-Rings and precision molding?

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMAUDIGGER,
There are several models made specifically for water hunting and others for land or water. Should think there would be something suitable for relic hunting. The ATPro is pretty versatile and comes in under $1k. I always keep one in the car. The saying in Michigan is "If you don't like the weather, stick around, it will change". Having a water resistant detector has been invaluable.

PBS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread