Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went hunting with treblehunter today.And had not so great hunt this morning. .He did find something cool.Ill let him post..Anyway after he left. I went down the road and seen this really old house (1760) the lady told me after I knocked. ..Anyway I went through me speach and told her I would share ans show hee what I find and she told me go for it but don't bother showing her because she is going to take a nap...lol..I said thanks and went on my way...15 min later I got this big signal was not going to dig but figured what the hell you just never no...Glad I did...About 1 inches down I see this sword handle. ..Was scared to pull it out..I had to stand up and pull amd out pops the hole sword. ..Felt like Excalibur! !!!!
Any help on idea would be great...I think its military. ...Lot of revolutionary going on in the area. ...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140801_153743.png
    ForumRunner_20140801_153743.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 529
  • ForumRunner_20140801_153757.png
    ForumRunner_20140801_153757.png
    213.3 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 28

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vino, was the Sword and the 1832 Belt Plates found at the same site? If so, could the association of the verified 1832 artillery plates adds credibility to the artillery sword possibly being an original issue item from the same period? Maybe the artillery sword is a lesser known variant?

OP
OP
Vino

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vino, was the Sword and the 1832 Belt Plates found at the same site? If so, could the association of the verified 1832 artillery plates adds credibility to the artillery sword possibly being an original issue item from the same period? Maybe the artillery sword is a lesser known variant?

it was a couple of Acres away..it was part of the same farm back then...So who knows???

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IT'S NOT A REPRODUCTION!

I would agree that the sword is a reproduction - the construction lends to that as does the condition of the blade. Still a very cool find.

This is NOT A REPRODUCTION. It is some variant of the Gladius style used so much in France. Britain also used this style. For example, see the British musicians sword picture I've attached. That's almost a match.

Attachments

• british-east-kent-militia-pre-regulation-bandsmans-sword.jpg
    british-east-kent-militia-pre-regulation-bandsmans-sword.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 76

coin1921

Dec 1, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deus V 3.2
Bounty Hunter Water Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This appears to be identical to yours sword.jpg French Mle1832 Short Sword

coin1921

Dec 1, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deus V 3.2
Bounty Hunter Water Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vino, here is a better picture - a definate match sword2.jpg French Mle1832 Short Sword

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is NOT A REPRODUCTION. It is some variant of the Gladius style used so much in France. Britain also used this style. For example, see the British musicians sword picture I've attached. That's almost a match.

Tommy, how did you end up opening up this thread again.
Also, thanks for the id, very interesting. Back when George found this I was suggesting the tie to the buckle, first day he found it. I bet both are a marriage.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!! What a find !! BANNER for sure

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Vino! Coins and swords. You do everything in big style!

Congrats

-Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread