• IMG_3806.jpeg
    IMG_3806.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 97

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Traveller, I agree, but it's also got a weapony (new word?) look to it.

Upvote 2

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two things that says no sword to me is the lack of what would be considered a grip/handle, but instead looks like bolted onto something. And if a sword there is no way you can get your hand around grip without injury from what would be the guard. Look how close the "guard" is to the "handle" on the left facing side in first picture. If you could get hand in there injury would be forth coming.

Upvote 1

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, halberd Although yours is not as old, I thought the video of archies pulling one out of the Jamestown fort well was pretty cool. I would be happy with finding one like yours though.

Upvote 0

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab 2300, Makro Golden Gate, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this thrown on our town dump the other day? It is heavy, appears to have a broken off tip of sword like feature. Measures about 20" in length and made me think of perhaps an old pike?

Maine_Jim
Yes, it’s a halberd used by guards at the entrances to gateways.

A halberd (also called halbard, halbert or Swiss voulge) is a two-handed pole weapon that came to prominent use during the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries. The word halberd is cognate with the German word Hellebarde, deriving from Middle High German halm (handle) and barte (battleaxe) joined to form helmbarte.Troops that used the weapon were called halberdiers. From Wikipedia.

Hope this helps.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

Upvote 1
OP
OP
maine_Jim

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I think you are correct, halberd it is. Not sure what I'll do with it.

Thanks,

Maine_Jim

Upvote 0
Solution

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread