SYMBOLS commonly seen on secret or private maps or stojne. What are they?

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are Buffalo Bobs original research to provide as much detail about Treasure Hunting for this group. Here is my first draft.. hope you enjoy.
BB

SPAIN'S RULES RE: TRAIL MARKERS AND MONUMENTS
(paraphrased from C.A. Kenworthy Treasure books)

All trail markers to and from mines were identical. No matter what part of the world
For 300 years or so "special and specific" codes, measurements markers and monuments and maps in the new world.
TREASURE TRAIL MONUMENTS, CODES AND MEASUREMENTS NEVER CHANGED.

THREE SEPARATE TRAIL MAPS TO ALL MINES AND HIDDEN TREASURE IN THE NEW WORLD.
Map #1 was the "fistance/desert" map leading to a trailhead.
Map #2 was the monumented mountain map.
Map #3 was the final map from the last trail monument to the mine/treasure
Mountain range markers were intended to be seen for at least (4) leagues (about 8-1/2 miles)

Symbols are never directly show truth. They are visible signs of something invisible. Something behind the symbol being shown. One needs to interpret the real meaning of the symbol. Carl Claudy, a Masonic writer, mentions that there secrets inside secrets of symbolism.
SECRET DOCTRINE
"There is a SECRET DOCTRINE in Freemasonry. That secret doctrine is concealed, rather than revealed, by the very lectures which, we are told / offer a “rational explanation' as final, and seek no further. Freemasonry would be a farce.”

In Masonry The everwatching eye is often replaced by 'The Square and Compass and the letter “G”. Commonly mistaken to represent GOLD.

Like an onion there can be layer after layer of symbolism each having hidden meaning. Only the few Esoterics in organizations can understand true meanings. For the masses, whatever they were told it means is what they believe.

For native populations, being saved through religion, was statements of fact they were forced to accept. This is true, this is not and this whole list of fun things are forbidden.

Gods and Kings were created this way. Temples were built and taxes paid. Gold and silver offerings meant a better chance on Judgement Day. Visiting members of the top few are showered with gifts. Many offerings made to secure some safety or upper classes. Codes were established. Latin in schools and churches. Only the educated few or priests spoke, read or write Latin.

And only wealthy families could have private priests. A cousin, uncle, brother to whom they could confess their deeds with impunity. And leave forgiven.

As wealth accumulated, most common gold or silver, small but heavy goods. Before banks the Castle itself usually held the Gold. Everyone knew that so how to protect it?

Many castles had their own Knights. Who were known to raid other castles for the gold. Every war has been fought over the other guys riches.

What was needed was massive vaults hard to break through. Tricks and traps to expose enemies to unexpected dangers, False walls, deep moats, dead end passages and secret doors. Secret passages known to a few trusted friends. Love those..

Stone was the common building material. Build something huge to cover the treasury, like the Egyptians and many others. Mound builders? Who knows..

The ancient builders were beyond clever. Not much was beyond their skills. Manpower was the cheapest commodity available. Need a few hundred people or ten thousand, no problem.

Build an underground vault with secret areas and entrances was common. Secrecy was often obtained by murdering the builders. As the treasures were to be family fortune, somehow how to get into the vaults were a problem. The basic was a lock and key. Gated entrance. Still not that hard to defeat. Brute force always worked. How about a family secret? Secrets passed down from generation to the next. The oldest male child at a certain age. Great as long as the family survives. Who to trust?

Always an issue but most times requires a trusted source with coded instructions. Dangerous falling into enemy hands. Codes...

Secret organizations were built to be secret. Secret membership, rules etc and dues. Dues to maintain silence from those who protect them. If everyone were as honest as us, secrets wouldn't be necessary. So to maintain secrecy money must be generated to pay off the army, authorities whatever.

As a result of greed, lessons had to be taught. Steal from us and bad things will happen. A cutoff head stuck on a post was not uncommon. Everyone knew nothing but knew all. Silence is golden.

The world in our history has always been driven by commerce. Laws were made to protect property. Rules were agreed same as we use today.

To prove ownership a person must show proof of purchase and delivery. Sellers are required to document who ordered what at what price and prove they owned it to begin with and prove shipment to the buyer. English law.

This included people as well as any property. So extensive physical records are necessary. Showing what cops call the chain of evidence. So how can codes be used? By concealing the true origin or type of cargo. Not gold but coal with proper bribes on both ends. Greed rules the seas.

During the treasure ships era, places rich enough to return to were coded in a special way. For Jesuit mines, what the mine or cache holds is coded. How much and where. How to return to reopen mine even 150 years later. Bad air or poison water or any other obstacle were treated the same. One day our technology will advance to remediate that condition. Long planners.

The Galleon crew leaving Spain will have complete though vague details. Where the mine is, how it is bobby trapped, how long on land, how many people, days etc. All in common codes.

Before sailing the captain gets the secret code.. What the Vara represents at each stage. People, feet, miles, days or nights. To prevent pirates from stealing the ship and locating the mine.

Death traps had common signs. I think. Somehow the crew had to know how the traps worked and avoid them. And how to build new traps. Which makes me think engineers must be involved with written plans. Hmmm

All map measurements were calculated on a straight line. Through or on a mountain. Sophisticated math was used to figure these out. I can visualize surveying instruments converting measurements to angles. Have to check out museums.

Santa Fe New Mexico has a wealth of Spanish documents.

to be continued...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BuffaloBob

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2005
Rocky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JESUIT TREASURE DEATH TRAPS...
sign2t.gif sign2t.gif signst.gif
The treasure was found in 1943. Presumedly safe to check the area but I do not guarantee it.
The LIMONITE DIKE crossed from north to south, damming water behind it. This is a WATER DEATH trap. After locating the entrance the water must be drained. Into the river. Then excavation could start. IMHO there are always more traps inside. Check out GE and the old map here and use your imagination...Native Silver in Limonite from Arizona ? Miners Gallery

N 33.44581 W 111.37912
See the high water mark in the canyon?
See the origin of the fill material
See the trail above the mine.
When persons disappear you just don't know. A few legends have people falling through cave ceilings.
One treasure site I'm looking at talks about 240 donkey wagonloads, filled with Gold and Silver entering the Superstitions and never came out or came out empty. That is the real treasure worth looking for.

Big enough to be protected. How much money would you spend to gusrd the treasuire? Unknown value but certainly Billions.

Ask yourself could they manually haul 240 wagons of gold to higher
ground? Or dig complex caverns in places the casual hiker never goes? If govt knows (as I believe they do) treasure may still be stored. Danger everywhere. A fun mind game fopr me. :)

BTW anyone interested documenting the Black Top Mesa mine?
BB

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBob, interesting, thanks for all the hard work and sharing.
take care and stay safe out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread