T or C & Palomas

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008
T or C & Palomas

My dad spent alot of time in the mountains around T or C dry panning and rock hunting since the 60's... I got involved in later years and found some interesting stuff. I've kept some claims, but due to work not had alot of recent time. Had to give several claims up back in the 90's due to the then new Federal claim fee changes.
I have found some carvings and stuff in those mountains, and have hundreds of pictures taken over the years. Heard most of the stories. Some of the best ones are bogus, some I consider not to be. One thing I believe though, the Big One has not been found....
The old Palomas Village is north of Caballo Lake would be a good detector site. Probably been there for hundreds of years. It is now melted down adobe. The place is about 20 feet above the Rio Grande flood plain and is located where the flood plain is a half mile wide. The place would have been over grown with huge cotton wood forests in it's day and mostly concealed on the west side of the river where the terrain is not as tough. The bluff overlooking the village has an old church, maybe 50 - 70 years, but I suspect a church of adobe and morter way back when. The streets are still visible (look hard amonst the mesquite) and my dad found what appears to be a grave yard south of the village down by the flood bank. He said you could see spaced sunken areas about a foot wide and 3-4 foot long.
I have no idea if you would need permission or not, but the locals seem to leave you alone if you're polite and respectful and leave a light footprint.
I'm considering writing a book about all I've heard and seen up there, maybe that would be my treasure. (Yall let me know if you think it would sell!)
goldseeker7

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Re: T or C & Palomas

The Caballo Mnts are certainly a strange bunch!
They don't have anywhere near the amount of gold mines, Spanish, to have mined all of the gold bars that have been found there over the years!
Take The Huge Cache at Tesoro Del Alma site for one example
&
Another site, that I have been working on with the Noss Family !
That VERY! Recently,
Had some gold bars found at a "spring"
just a mile or so, from where we are working,
I know of a couple of other "finds" that don't really seem to add up ! :P
Way!
Too much gold for the activity (The Spanish Mines) that is shown around the mnts .... ???

OP
OP
goldseeker7

goldseeker7

Jan 21, 2008

I think it was pre-history. Before the Apache, before the Anazazsi. If land bridges existed eons ago, the Americas were populated from the north to the south. The Aztec got their stuff somewhere, and they probably migrated south from this land.
I agree of the great mistery. As the Aztec and Inca disappeared, so did these early peoples. But you know good and well Onate kept stuff for himself to. I'd wager he hid stuff close enough to Mexico to get to, but far enough to keep hidden, as many chief Conquistadories did. The king of Spain in the later 1600's was only a teenager, he was ran by others religico and politico. The bulk of the soldiers in the new world under the Spanish flag were not Spaniards by birth, but rather a type of mercenary many of them French. There was alot of room for undocumented incident.
The stuff hid in Springs were the later raiding Indians caches. If it was put in a spring, or bottomland, or common landscape they didn't necessarily plan to retrieve it, just keep the Spanish from it. Knowing Geology as the well educated Padres did, especially the Jesuits, they knew to not tempt nature by hiding stuff were nature would/could easily change landscapes. They chose peaks, high caves, bluffs, things that weren't as apt to change in time. Thanks for your responce.

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well this is my first post on this forum, been reading it forever tho. i am very interested in the Caballo mts . my wife and i spent some time there a couple of years ago, drywashing..found gold in every pan met some old timers up there, they had some interesting stories . now i dream about the caballos every nite (have the caballo gold fever) lol. cant wait to get back up there. i know there is a lot to be seen there if one took the time to look real good would like to talk to anyone about those mountains. i am in Texas right now but Will be back there one day! would love to hear from people who have been there and have the same strange feelings about the place lol jonesy [email protected]

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Jonesy:
What part of Texas are you in?
Bugs & I, are in the Corpus Christi Area
We will be leaving for a very long Th'ing/Prospecting trip (12 mos or so) around March
One of "our" ( Doc & I) stops will be The Caballo Mnts
We will even be going up to the very top of "Brushy Mnt"
Via the back road
You could join us at any point & for as long as you'd like

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the reply Cptbil . we are about 60 miles north west of Austin. thanks for the invite. i won't be able to get away till this summer.. and then only for a couple of weeks. i sold my 4x4 in washington lol will have to get another one before we can go up in the caballos where we NEED to be . i like to drywash and pan so it will have to be hot and dry for that (summer) if you get out this way give me a holler jonesy

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx

Jonesy:
That's no problem
Doc & I will be out for about 12 months starting in March
Doc will be coming down here, from Ft Hood, in roughly three to four weeks
Would you like to set up a phone call sometime soon ?
Talk things over and get to know each other.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

"to have mined all of the gold bars'

Ahh well now such could have been mined at a few locations in New Mexico. One in the San Fra Cristobals. One in the mine that collapsed in the earth quake that helped the indians rebell.

I wont discount the Aztec conection as such material has been found seemingly in trade in indian sites.

As for the original post, well a book would be good.
goldseeker7 with the price of gold if them old claims had any production it would be worth yur time to see if they are avalable, and if they are claim them. Dont forget to do both placer and load claims if you do.

cptbil I just moved from TorC. Do I know you. My name is Roy and I woked a lot in the bat cave area as well as others across the Caballo's From what I read from you; you new Jerry C. . Will email you.

jonesy

Sep 26, 2004
central Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey cptbil i tried to send you my phone number in a pvt message..don't have a clue if it worked or not let me know Jonesy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions