Taking Earthquaked and Floods into consideration when researching....

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am newer to the Hobby and admit, completely addicted. Here is my question to all of you that have been doing this for many years. Do you take into consideration earthquakes and/or great floods when compiling your research? I am researching a family from the 19th century that looked to have stashed many cashes in both Gold and Silver coin.
During their lifetime of wealth there were both Major Earthquakes and a Great Flood in the area where their homestead was. Part of the Homestead was re-built and part was not. My question lies with this; over the years many earthquakes have since happened with 3 that were major resulting in severe area damage....how do I factor in the possible movement of such caches (if they exist) or is there a general rule of thumb with critical thinking that can be used with Natural Disasters such as earthquakes, floods, hurricanes etc? Or, do I have a case of Analysis Paralysis and I don't even need to take these things into account?
:BangHead:

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hit it on the head with the last sentence. ;)
If you can predict things of that nature you could make a whole lotta money. :)

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit it on the head with the last sentence. ;)
If you can predict things of that nature you could make a whole lotta money. :)

Hahahahahah! That's what I thought, but rather than ignore it, I wanted to ask. Thanks Rob!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I try anything I can to find something. Your thinking outside the box and that's what will get you your best finds!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always think of new gold uncovered when there are the mudslides
So if I was out there I would check out the slide areas later

OP
OP
DiggerGal

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always think of new gold uncovered when there are the mudslides
So if I was out there I would check out the slide areas later

That's a great point Jeff! Thank You for that one! Most of the slide areas are way north of me, however, plenty of rock slide areas out and about. I wouldn't know where to start on those slide areas as I am not an experienced climber...headlines to read "Woman buried under rock pile with detector in hand" Lol!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this area the town parks are near rivers and very prone to flooding (because the available land for parks is where homes and other buildings didn't work out so well). This can make for some very deep modern coins, but also expose spots from erosion that yield some good finds.

Nearby there were two towns that got badly hit in 2011 from Tropical Storm Lee and in 2006 from Hurricane Katrina. There are hundreds of homes (or home sites) that have been condemned. These sites are still in "legal flux" right now, but several of the still standing homes were torn down for safety reasons and just tipped into the foundation. They've been keeping me busy.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great point Jeff! Thank You for that one! Most of the slide areas are way north of me, however, plenty of rock slide areas out and about. I wouldn't know where to start on those slide areas as I am not an experienced climber...headlines to read "Woman buried under rock pile with detector in hand" Lol!

In case of a slide while detecting be sure to carry an emergency beer with you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread