Taking Shovels into Parks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 3

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get enough evil looks just walking in with a detector BEFORE I even turn it on, and I use a screw driver to just pop the coins out no shovel! Maybe I should wear camouflage ! Lol!

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been given permission to use my ground shark in a park i hunt often, If your not a "MORON" and you actually ask and even show how unharmed it leaves the ground then they don't mind at all.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get enough evil looks just walking in with a detector BEFORE I even turn it on, and I use a screw driver to just pop the coins out no shovel! Maybe I should wear camouflage ! Lol!

How do you know you get evil looks? Granted I have not been out in nice weather with lots of people around, but I am looking at the ground and the MD screen, with ear phones in.. Unless they walk up to me I don't even look at them, they could be flippin me of for all I know. Maybe things will be different in the spring and I will understand what you all are talking about. Plan is to be a MORON and use my 25" custom shaped True Temper plug cutting shovel in the public parks I pay for every year with the $5600 tax bill.. Maybe it has to do with the quality of park and the type of neighborhood..

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, maybe we are talking about two different things here....

When someone says "Shovel" most of us picture this-

image-1230000763.jpg

But I think some of you were offend about "shovel" and "moron" being in the same sentence, when you probably use something waaaaay more specialized like this-

image-561576279.jpg

There's a big difference. That being said, like some other people said- the stare factor. It's there rather you notice it or not.

Hop on you tube and watch some dig videos of people taking something more similar to the first pic above into parks (trust me there's plenty) to dig holes the size of a basketball the retrieve a dime that was 2 inches down......

Yes those guys look like morons....... It don't mean anyone is talking about you- who use a tool that, while technically a shovel- is a much more specialized tool -that I'm sure you guys are using to dig a reasonable plug to get your targets.

Big diff- I'm just saying.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the Youtube vidoes I've watched both of the above types were used for digging. A shovel would be classified as a tool used that is not hand held and you would use your foot for leverage to dig with. Yes, I have a shovel similar to the first example but only 30 inches in length however, I wouldn't bring it to a park. The second example is also a shovel, specialized or not, especially if it is 30 inches or longer and you have to use your foot for leverage to dig. It even looks more menacing than than the first even if it smaller. Still either one wouldn't be appropriate to use in a park. To each his own as to what one chooses to dig with but the first or second shovel in the above examples would draw attention to yourself. If a groundskeeper at a park seen that he would likely have something to say about it. No wonder detecting is being banned in some parks. Thought there was a code of ethics? Guess that is out the window. IMHO.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a groundskeeper at a park seen that he would likely have something to say about it. IMHO.

Must be a rich peoples park issue.. My city has no grounds keepers.. and I would probably be safer carrying a 45 than my plug cutter..

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would use neither also Newfie, I don't think the second looks more menacing at all- it looks like in lay mans terms- it would take a lot longer to dig a hole with the smaller spaded one.

I think side by side even people not in the hobby would think the same. But opinions do vary-

Appearances aside, it would be hard to cut/dig a plug with a full sized shovel- regardless of how many inches makes it a full sized shovel, if you've seen someone digging a ditch or a grave with about the same sized shovel it's too big for detecting- unless you're in I field or private property etc...

If I seen shovel 2 in use at a park, I'd probably think maybe the person knows what they are doing/ takes the hobby seriously or maybe they have bad knees? Or a bad back?

But I wouldn't use one of either if those shovels and admittedly I'd agree with Terry that using one like the first pic takes a moron.

And let's not make it a money issue if someone goes there.... If you can afford a MD, you can afford a trowel to look more respectful at a local park- don't bring just "whatever you got in the shed".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Must be a rich peoples park issue.. My city has no grounds keepers.. and I would probably be safer carrying a 45 than my plug cutter..

You mean the city of Philadelphia don't have public workers/maintenance employees from the Parks and Recreation Dept that mow the grass, keep the grounds clean etc? That's surprising!? ..

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
To me its a definite No. All it takes is one park manager in a bad mood that day and its over. Think about the other guy that detects. Don't ruin it for everyone. Or in another case, ask the manager if you can dig with a small shovel. I've got a couple of colleges that I've gotten to know the grounds people and have met the Vice president of the school and explained that I would never make a hole larger that necessary and return any class rings. Sometimes we just have to explain ourselves. Good luck to everyone.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting since 1970 and I agree that shovels should not be used in public places like parks or school grounds. The object of hunting these places is after all, to find small items like coins and jewelry. Anybody who needs a shovel to find such small items must be lazy or inefficient at pinpointing. No need to make a hole very large in diameter if you have your pinpointing skills properly honed for hunting public grounds. No disrespect meant here, it is my opinion though, and I have seen areas closed after people with shovels worked them whereas they were open to hunters with small trowel, knife, or screwdriver style diggers before such incidents. We are losing areas to hunt on a daily basis, and the less we do to cause this to happen the better. I see a lot of folks newer to hunting who seem to resort to shovels when they have a hard time pinpointing, and have one friend who definitely does it out of laziness. I doubt that this thread will change some of those who use shovels in parks, but if it even gets one person to change it is worth it, and I hope that the newer hunters listen up and stay away from this practice.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean the city of Philadelphia don't have public workers/maintenance employees from the Parks and Recreation Dept that mow the grass, keep the grounds clean etc? That's surprising!? ..
Just outside Philadelphia limits and the township has guys that mow the weeds when they get high.. Same guys that collect the trash.. Again, I have only been in a few parks and schools since Nov and used the 25" 4"x4" plug cutter, more than one cop sat in the parking log doing reports.. nothing said..
If you leave the area looking as it did when you came in what can they say. I do want to comment on a park that had been just hunted by someone with a small tool, he left squire holes everywhere no question someone was there.. What you carry is less important than how you leave the site but hey, what do I know, I'm new to this and it's the first time I have really spent any time in the public parks I pay for! If I have a problem in the spring I will certainly come back here and eat crow.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people who have no problem bending over and squatting down quickly forget how hard it can be for the people who its not as easy for. I myself have had 3 knee surgeries and have a severely herniated disc in my back. Does this mean that i don't have a right to share in on the hobby we all love and keeps us up at night? I do not use the first pictured shovel nor do i think that one is necessary for metal detecting. I have the second pictured one that usually makes a smaller plug (3"x3") than when i use my hand lesche. As I've said i also only use it if i have asked and have permission to do so. So next time you see "that guy" using a different technique than you.. maybe hes not as "lazy" as you think.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people who have no problem bending over and squatting down quickly forget how hard it can be for the people who its not as easy for. I myself have had 3 knee surgeries and have a severely herniated disc in my back. Does this mean that i don't have a right to share in on the hobby we all love and keeps us up at night? I do not use the first pictured shovel nor do i think that one is necessary for metal detecting. I have the second pictured one that usually makes a smaller plug (3"x3") than when i use my hand lesche. As I've said i also only use it if i have asked and have permission to do so. So next time you see "that guy" using a different technique than you.. maybe hes not as "lazy" as you think.

+1
And don't forget a 3x3 or 4x4 plug of grass going to go back in the ground and reintegrate with the surrounding area way better than you can do a 4" deep plug that is only 2x2.
I totally get this issue, but in my own yard I made a big mess trying to dig squirrel holes with a Lesche and drit tarp not to mention my Carpel tunnel kicked in for a week afterwards.. after using the proper tool for the job there was no mess and no pain. Not saying I would go to a manicured baseball diamond and start cutting plugs, you gota use some sense.. I think saying "Never" is where some of us have issues. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to get grass to grow in my crappy clay soil, I have cursed the squires in the spring and fall, I sure don't want to be one..

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using a shovel - ANY SHOVEL, in a public park is just asking to be kicked out and ruining it for EVERYONE ELSE in the hobby. If you can't bend down for health reasons and need to use a shovel - OF ANY KIND, you need to stay out of parks and off of ball fields. Go find some nice farm fields or woods. Only a MORON would use a shovel - ANY shovel - in a public (city) park. If you can't use a Lesche hand digger or screwdriver (popper) properly - PRACTICE until you can. Our hobby is being ruined by stupid individuals that have no common sense, or ethics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread