Taking Shovels into Parks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all sorts of digging tools myself. Regardless of which one I use, my trap door plugs are all clean and almost invisible. If/when I can't get up and down to use my hand digger in a park is the day I quit hunting there and just hunt other areas where I don't need to get on my hands and knees. I'd like to see your "specially designed" shovel if you don't mind posting it. Most detecting "shovels" (actually spades) are too big to use in a park without attracting attention. If enough attention is brought to the governing bureaucrats of that site, it's a recipe for getting detecting banned. Unfortunately, Karen's have a voice too.......and usually a loud one. Much as I'd like to part their hair with said shovel, I find it better that they don't notice me to make trouble. I really don't want to go to jail for murder either!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all sorts of digging tools myself. Regardless of which one I use, my trap door plugs are all clean and almost invisible. If/when I can't get up and down to use my hand digger in a park is the day I quit hunting there and just hunt other areas where I don't need to get on my hands and knees. I'd like to see your "specially designed" shovel if you don't mind posting it. Most detecting "shovels" (actually spades) are too big to use in a park without attracting attention. If enough attention is brought to the governing bureaucrats of that site, it's a recipe for getting detecting banned. Unfortunately, Karen's have a voice too.......and usually a loud one. Much as I'd like to part their hair with said shovel, I find it better that they don't notice me to make trouble. I really don't want to go to jail for murder either!
I am so lucky and thank my stars every day that I live in a very small town about 4200 pop. As far as I,ve been able to determine there.s never been a metal detector person around here and nobody ever notices or comments.That said,I,d never use a "shovel" anywhere in the city limits,just makes folks notice you,whereas a small digger they don,t even see.I use the grey man approach,drab clothes,low profile,like I,m not even there even if you see me!

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Denver area. I hunt for at least 2 hours almost everyday. Water is precious here and ground conditions this time of year can really be bad. Absolutely no shovels are allowed in this area and that includes hand shovels. Getting caught digging with a shovel will result in a fine or worse. I hunt over 40 parks in a rotation so I don't put too much pressure on them and they are in different municipalities. I make it a point to be friendly, courteous and talk with the grounds keepers and especially the foremen. I often help them find sprinkler heads that they can't locate along with lost keys and tools. I want them to know that I am using a screwdriver, that I will not go onto a fully fenced-in playing field, that I will pick up any metal trash that I detect or that is within reach and that I will leave the area nicer than when I got there. That means I won't dig 50 coin popping holes in a 20'X20' area so "digging it all" will definitely not be happening.

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
Wow, that was poetic Ken. "On-Line Tough Guy," is certainly better than most of the things I've been called by ex-wives and newbies. :laughing7: When you get that chip off your shoulder and put your shovel down get back in touch - I'll buy you a beer. :thumbsup:

Any of you other shovel users want to get anything off your chests? :hello:
I kinda like Big Ken

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could never figure out how to use a screwdriver to make a clean plug with out damaging the grass. When in a park I like using my Hori-Hori digging knife. Only one time somebody said something to me. They told me that's one big knife I have.

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging in a park/public space is just that-public property.
Each town/city has their own set of rules.
What's in the book of rules and what happens in real life regarding detecting is not always the same.

Some believe it's their civil duty to call in anything out of the ordinary.
So basically we all have a target on us as soon as we start detecting.

Given that the newer type long handled diggers are popular and do leave a better plug than some other diggers-they have the "Shovel" look to them and the person is digging big holes in the park.

Out of sight-out of mind type of rule comes to mind when digging in a park.

Bigger deep hinged plug will probably survive a drought, not to be re-dug out by a critter.
But explain that to the public that see in their mind a person digging graves in the park.

So there is the common sense thing to do-and then there's the I don't give a rat's ass what they think I'm doing attitude.
It only takes one or two to take the whole hobby into the "Not Allowed" status.

How many cities have just said this, and then it leaves the 98% looking else where to go and dig.

I've had the cops called on me for digging big holes in the park.
Cops arrive to investigate, they ask what I am doing?
I tell them I'm detecting, I'm digging out the targets.

Then I ask them do they see any holes, or evidence where any holes have been dug?
The answer is obvious - no.
The next question is what have you found-or what is the best thing have you ever found- or can we call you if we need your help in finding something? -have fun.

OBW-I was using only a hand held tool-knife/digger type tool-never a shovel.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post by our rules, no insults.

I have seen many people use a sharpshooter shovel in local parks, maybe 30"s tall, 6" wide blade, no big deal.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have seen many people use a sharpshooter shovel in local parks, maybe 30"s tall, 6" wide blade, no big deal.
Your back yard of parks no problem.
Another city it could be a big problem.
Location Location Location.

goldhat

Aug 14, 2009
Arizona and the great southwest!
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq
Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a shovel - ANY SHOVEL, in a public park is just asking to be kicked out and ruining it for EVERYONE ELSE in the hobby. If you can't bend down for health reasons and need to use a shovel - OF ANY KIND, you need to stay out of parks and off of ball fields. Go find some nice farm fields or woods. Only a MORON would use a shovel - ANY shovel - in a public (city) park. If you can't use a Lesche hand digger or screwdriver (popper) properly - PRACTICE until you can. Our hobby is being ruined by stupid individuals that have no common sense, or ethics.

Bigger shovels are just begging for more regulations on our hobby.
Hand shove is one thing but anything bigger is begging for trouble.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No big deal to you or me, but, unfortunately, there are people out there that make it a mission in their life to make other lives miserable. It's better they don't notice you....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No big deal to you or me, but, unfortunately, there are people out there that make it a mission in their life to make other lives miserable. It's better they don't notice you....
I have used sharp shooter shovel in parks and seen others do so, even had park employees see me and was never even approached.

99% of the time I do not dig plugs or holes, I cut a slice and then retrieve the target, then just squeeze the turf back together, the shovel just gives me leverage to open the slice.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used sharp shooter shovel in parks and seen others do so, even had park employees see me and was never even approached.

99% of the time I do not dig plugs or holes, I cut a slice and then retrieve the target, then just squeeze the turf back together, the shovel just gives me leverage to open the slice.
That,s cool,I never knew that one and I,m filing that in the things to remember dept. Thanks!:icon_thumleft:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Do you hit often?
(The find)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you hit often?
(The find)
So far not at all, I cut the turf, then use a pinpointer to locate the target, then use a probe to touch the target and get the depth then recover.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That,s cool,I never knew that one and I,m filing that in the things to remember dept. Thanks!:icon_thumleft:
So far it works pretty well for me if the soil is clay then it doesn't work as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread