Taking Shovels into Parks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

Last edited:
Upvote 3

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As long as it is
You may want to check your local laws about legal carrying of knives. Some places I've lived there was a limit on the length of the blade. I've never had or heard of a problem carrying a gardening tool like a Lesche though.
In a sheath, I can carry a blade that is 30cm/11.81 inches long.
So we're good.

Jamie Rullestad

Dec 3, 2020
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of you take shovels to public parks? I've been watching several Youtube videos recently and noticed that some guys take shovels into these public areas. Always thought this was considered a big No-No. The reason being is that it looks bad and is a good way to get kicked out of the park and does not present us metal detector users in a good light. I use a shovel only when detecting in the wilderness. It may be easier to dig and retrieving the target than with a trowel or a hand held digger but someone may get the wrong idea that you are digging up the park with a shovel. How do you feel about this? Is this a bad idea or are you ok with it?

I do.

As someone else previously posted, a lot of this controversy depends on locale. I live near a city of 7,000, as well as smaller communities of anywhere from 500 to 2500.

Where I live, I’ve called city managers as well as parks and rec managers to get prior approval, and shared what I would be doing and how I’d be doing it. I generally get enthusiastic approval, and occasionally get a city official, cop, or local neighborhood guy following me around to see how it’s done.

I carry a small, discreet shovel to not only dig, but to help me up. I, too, have health issues. And this one is a big help:

I think a lot of it also depends on not only your location, but your (for lack of a better term) political viewpoint. Not necessarily a “D” or and “R”, but how neighbors view each other.

Here, we have a tendency to mind our own business. Law enforcement and small town administrators take a pretty dim view of people complaining about something as insignificant as this. And I hate to burst anyones bubble, but this subject is insignificant, at least here.

But here, in farm country Iowa, we take care of things around us, and have a sense of responsibility for things that really matter. Hell, even the tweakers shovel their sidewalks and mow their lawns. And generally, we shut the hell up and leave each other alone.

So, yes, I’ll continue to use my shovel. Unless you complain too loudly, and then I’ll call city admin or police, and file a complaint against YOU.

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I stopped bringing a 'turf-cutter' style shovel to any manicured grass site, I found a broken diving knife on one of my hunts and ground the blade down on a grinding wheel and use it as a probe....trying to learn to use a sharpened chopstick so as to not scratch the coins. I agree with you that carrying around an intimidating turf cutting shovel in a public, well-groomed park or school probably won't win the hobby any positive points with the community and makes the gardener nervous. Take care Newfie. Wow just realized how old this thread is lol oops posting at midnight kind of tired.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using a small, cheap and modified shovel since 2017. Never had any problems anywhere. I narrowed the blade to the size of my hand. My plugs are 95% perfect and invisible after retrieving my target. I take pride in leaving no trace of a hole. Depends on where you are and the people who are watching.

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no shovels for me in a city park (not my preferred area anyway) but if you have to be a ... you know ... about it, then go full out and wear a florescent safety jacket with a lot of patches. Maybe you'll look official enough....

(Please note - this is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer, and this is just a comment from my awful sense of humor. Really, I'm joking.)

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, no shovels for me in a city park (not my preferred area anyway) but if you have to be a ... you know ... about it, then go full out and wear a florescent safety jacket with a lot of patches. Maybe you'll look official enough....

(Please note - this is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer, and this is just a comment from my awful sense of humor. Really, I'm joking.)
All jokes aside, one of those reflective vests,with some oddball lettering like MPSP or something on them will make you almost invisible to the average person.They see them all the time and think you,re some kind of official worker on a mission from City Hall.Want to go whole hog? Wear a yellow plastic hard hat too. Nothing illegal about it,you,re not representing yourself as a LEO or other official.if anybody asks,tell them MPSP is for Municipal Park Safety Patrol,a non profit company of one keeping the parks clean of broken glass and discarded needles. Carry a few pieces of broken glass in your pouch to show. If a real LEO shows up,of course come clean,they usually get the joke and wish you a good day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions