Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and looked down. Northern California.
Core struck chert blade?

Anyone see anything different?

Could it be a core struck scraper instead?
The angle of the working edge is awe fully steep.
“Feels” a little older. Kind of has some weathering.

I accept all forms of free education.

65E801DF-564D-4340-BEDA-470AE645952C.jpeg

78C5045F-AE59-4363-8744-F068B58B7E96.jpeg

FC52A8DC-9E87-4A07-B241-6910D6E5EA7D.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great patina and some worn serrations. Always hard to say when out of context but I would have picked her up!

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great patina and some worn serrations. Always hard to say when out of context but I would have picked her up!

I always figure this particular site is 1000 BPD to contact period. No flaked tool have indicated otherwise, but there is salmon bearing streams nearby so ice permitting, there was likely man here for a long time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like that core made many similar shaped tools.

It’s thick enough I was even thinking it could be what’s left of the core after many blades were struck off and was utilized as a scraper.
Hard telling.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell if it is exhausted core or not but picture 2 shows edge work so was used as scraper for something. I certainly would have brought it home.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell if it is exhausted core or not but picture 2 shows edge work so was used as scraper for something. I certainly would have brought it home.

It’s a winner in my book for sure…I’ve been looking at suspect hard stone in this area for awhile, but nothing flaked. Some basalt flakes, but nothing definitive. It’s near camps, so it could just be a drop.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldmxrat, are they thick like that, or just core struck scrapers? Love to see some pictures.
This type of stuff interests me much more than flaked projectiles for some weird reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scroll back 7 or 8 pages. I posted a train load of various types of them.

“Opinions Welcome”? Prismatic Blades?
I’ve seen the process where obsidian cores are struck in a radial fashion along the striking face resulting in what I believe are prismatic blades. I kind of felt that was what this is, but it’s awful thick. Maybe that’s why it was used as a scraper?

I do try to pay pretty close attention to knowledge that is shared here…but most of the time there is more depth to things than can be recognized right away.

As I said..all forms of free education accepted ; )

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I rubbed some facial oil on it to bring out the colors and highlight the worked edge.…otherwise it kind of looked like a regular old rock. Much duller originally.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank for the info…I usually assume most people understand we all appreciate the feedback, but I am really bad about taking the time to say that. Also it takes up a bunch of room and you have to worry if you forget someone…not intended.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread