Tall candlesticks--need help with makers mark

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a gamble on these at an estate sale for $10.00. Each is exactly 1 imperial pound. I got them because I feel I have seen these maker marks somewhere and I hoped they were silver. They also seemed to have the right toning and weight. An acid test just now showed a weak red reaction so I am thinking might be plated now, but I am not great with acid-tests. I editing the pictures for the upload--one of the marks looks like a Minerva French mark? Any help on ID or period appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2754_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2754_edited-1.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2755_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2755_edited-1.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2756_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2756_edited-1.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2757_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2757_edited-1.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2758_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2758_edited-1.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2759_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_2759_edited-1.jpg
    788.9 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a gamble on these at an estate sale for $10.00. Each is exactly 1 imperial pound. I got them because I feel I have seen these maker marks somewhere and I hoped they were silver. They also seemed to have the right toning and weight. An acid test just now showed a weak red reaction so I am thinking might be plated now, but I am not great with acid-tests. I editing the pictures for the upload--one of the marks looks like a Minerva French mark? Any help on ID or period appreciated!
It looks like it is an .800 silver Austrian Athena mark dating from 1867-1922. Possibly Schwarz Emanuel: active in Vienna 1876-1910
Born in 1841. Silversmith and jeweler

Attachments

• Capture99.JPG
    Capture99.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 30

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 18k testing acid to test for silver, you’re looking for a bright white/bluish reaction. Much easier to see than the acid for testing silver that comes with a kit.

Reactions: ARC

Rented Mule

Apr 17, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac,
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on using the 18K gold testing acid for silver vs. the stuff they include in the test kits for silver. The 18K acid gives a very clear result for silver that is very easy to recognize once you have seen it a few times.
I use 18k testing acid to test for silver, you’re looking for a bright white/bluish reaction. Much easier to see than the acid for testing silver that comes with a kit.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JFYI....

The silver testing solution is not for use on the block folks...
It is for / used ON silver... which has its own tricks to testing certain items.

There are different methods of testing metals for different instances.
The streak on block with 18k test is NOT absolute in certain instances.

Also... reactions which resemble a positive for silver are not absolute either.
On very heavy or larger pieces they SHOULD ALWAYS have the NON 18k test.

Main reason being... heavy and quadruple plate will positive 18k every time.

Most times a deep scratch pin OR file is needed to absolute test.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS... read up on proper technique for testing larger silver and absolutes... ALSO... i will have you also know JFYI...

The silver solution can also tell you the purity once you learn how to read the color reaction differentials.

Testing with 18k is the lazy / quick / prelim testing way.... i primarily do it myself... BUT... when in doubt or "funny".... its the silver solution for sure.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the tips on using 18K acid to test for silver. I will start experimenting with that method. Fortunately, I was able to decipher the marks on this one and ended up with 907 grams of antique, Austrian .800 silver.

Reactions: ARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread