paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stumbled on this site last year looking for another old map reference. It doesn't appear to have been detected before but targets are scarce and you really have to listen for whisper signals. Based on the relics it was abandoned prior to 1810 so it's a pretty limited spread of artifacts which is why this most recent pass was a great surprise. One of the first finds was this awesome pattered oval button in the center of the photo:

DSC06946.JPG DSC06947.JPG

It looks like it was silver washed and is in surprisingly good shape. A couple tombacs turned up as well and a dandy button that looks like it was run over a few dozen times. In the middle of the button spread was a find high on my wish list:

DSC06953.JPG

A Tallio cufflink! I've seen a few posted, but they don't seem to turn up very often and I never expected to find one at such an obscure spot. There's actually a local hunt club that does full hunts on horseback with dress and hounds (but no killing) and I know they'll come unglued when they see this relic since they're very proud of the local tradition. I'll keep looking for the other half, but this is a great addition to my colonial cufflink collection!

To my surprise one colonial copper did turn up:

DSC06959.JPG DSC06961.JPG

I was able to identify it not only as a 1785 Connecticut copper, but also the specific variety. It's a Miller 7.1-D which is listed as an R-4+ so likely less than 100 examples known. Here's what a non-dug one looks like for comparison:

lf.jpg lf2.jpg

I was hoping it was a Miller 7.2-D which is listed as an R-6+. They're apparently the exact same set of dies, but the 7.2 is later in the minting run and it has a characteristic flaw on the obverse. The obverse on this coin is pretty toasty, but it does appear to be missing the flaw so it's a 7.1. Still a very uncommon coin, but an R-6+ would have been an insane find. :laughing7:

There were a couple more cool relics as well including this odd pewter tube that I haven't figured out:

DSC06962.JPG DSC06963.JPG DSC06964.JPG

One end is solid so it's not a pipe. I don't see any holes, but maybe part of a whistle?

The other relics were a bit easier to ID:

DSC06965.JPG DSC06966.JPG DSC06969.JPG

I found a ramrod guide and a partial Georgian shoe buckle fragment. Also some iron relics in decent shape. The last relic, full disclosure, is from the winter. I tried hunting the spot in March, but the snow was too deep so I was swinging around in frustration on my way back to the car when a strong signal came through the 6" of snow. I dug down and pulled out this beauty:

DSC06967.JPG DSC06968.JPG

This is why I love colonial spots! :hello2:

Upvote 22

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds including that buckle.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, Killer buckle! :occasion14:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! I so enjoy finding shoe buckles. They are so unlike anything modern

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn...that's an amazing bunch of finds! The CT Copper is in fantastic shape. Also love, love love the cufflink and shoe buckle. Congrats!!!!!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My eyes were drawn to the oval button...very nice...love the buckle too!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I go to upstate NY a few times a year I need to bring my detecor next time.. Well done

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I go to upstate NY a few times a year I need to bring my detecor next time.. Well done

Thanks! There's some really cool stuff in the ground around here and I'm not even in one of the most historic sections of the state! Definitely bring your detector; what part of NY do you usually end up visiting?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! There's some really cool stuff in the ground around here and I'm not even in one of the most historic sections of the state! Definitely bring your detector; what part of NY do you usually end up visiting?
Rochester area finger lakes my Wife grew up there and we visit a few times a year plus her Grandfather is 94 we go visit him more lately lots of ups and downs. Tommy

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love,love ,love the colonial stuff!

Mar 29, 2014
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice!! Nothing like a colonial site!! Congratulations!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Great shoe buckle there and the fact that you could ID the exact version of that CT copper is a feat in itself. I have book that lists all the known varieties and it seems like one could lose their mind trying to match a dug coin to the examples. The hunting cuff button is really cool congrats on it all!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely get into the kind of spots I love to hunt on a regular basis. Unfortunately they are a lot harder to come by in SW PA. Fortunately the Tallio cufflink is fairly easy to find here as I've dug five of them now. I like the large oval "button". I have wondered whether they may be the "dandy" version of a cufflink.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great site, nice buttons & the oval is pretty cool, great copper & awesome buckle, looks like new, congrats on all the saves

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I like the CT copper the most. It's in great shape. It's appears of center. What's the hole from? I wonder if was an imperfectioin in the planchet when struck. It appears off-center. I love the primitive look of the early state-issued (Confederation Period) coppers. :notworthy: Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread