Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I located a trash deposit area at the site of a tavern that was active from 1831 to 1862. The trash layer is down from one to two and a half feet deep. This past Saturday I opened a couple holes in this area with the help of my lovely assistant, Emily. A lot of work but the Spanish Silver made it worth the effort.

Emiliy-1.jpg

Hole.jpg

As usual, when I open these holes, there are plenty of nails and pottery shards, but very few non ferrous targets. Luckily, one of the non ferrous targets turned out to be silver!
Half Real front.jpg

Half Real back.jpg

We collected most of the pottery shards as well.
Ceramics.jpg

Finally, here is a picture of the tavern and the couple that ran it.
Tavern.jpeg

Mr. and Mrs.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 72
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Spanish Silver Steve! It might be a lot of work to dig like that, but definitely worth it and most likely many return trips as well.
Thanks Thad. So far I have got a watch winder, gunflint, IHP, Large Cent, and Half Real from digging these deeper holes. I'm sure there is more. I just wish I had plotted the locations so I know where I have already dug :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice reale,congrats on a good site.But wait!!!! Emily goes on digs with you and actually helps you dig? Give that lady a cigar!!!!!
Thanks. I have found about everything within reach from the surface here. So now I am going deeper in an area with a deeper trash layer. Emily did actually get in the pit and dig, plus she helped fill in the holes. Her parents bought a metal detector, but she is the only one that uses it lol.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the reale! I love those old trash pits, especially the ones prior to 1800. It's like never ending treasure in there!! Can't wait to see more great finds!
Thanks. I may just be on the fringes of the trash pit. The second hole I dug this time had the deepest stuff yet.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think she is good luck :laughing7:
Without wanting to sound too sexist or ageist, she is a rare commodity in this game.
Young & not on their iphone or computer.
Plus we need more ladies in the hobby.
Does she detector, or is she just your labour?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without wanting to sound too sexist or ageist, she is a rare commodity in this game.
Young & not on their iphone or computer.
Plus we need more ladies in the hobby.
Does she detector, or is she just your labour?
She is interested in learning. She has gone out with me a couple times and she really wants to find a cut Spanish silver. Her parents bought a metal detector, but she is the only one who has used it. She is also a good drinking buddy lol.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I located a trash deposit area at the site of a tavern that was active from 1831 to 1862. The trash layer is down from one to two and a half feet deep. This past Saturday I opened a couple holes in this area with the help of my lovely assistant, Emily. A lot of work but the Spanish Silver made it worth the effort.

View attachment 1991033
View attachment 1991035

As usual, when I open these holes, there are plenty of nails and pottery shards, but very few non ferrous targets. Luckily, one of the non ferrous targets turned out to be silver!
View attachment 1991036

View attachment 1991037

We collected most of the pottery shards as well.
View attachment 1991038

Finally, here is a picture of the tavern and the couple that ran it.
View attachment 1991039
View attachment 1991040
Awesome finds time to get a backhoe and grab some history before its gone forever. Great post

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the 1/2 reale. Wow 23 for your career, awesome and I'm 72 and don't use that word lightly.

Don
LOL 73, not 23. Look at my signature line :laughing7:

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to see that your hard work, dedication and research paid off.

Nicely done!

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread