Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a short bit in the morning and got the go-ahead to hunt a tiny front yard of a house built in 1948. Only had about a half hour to look as the owner had hired a landscaping crew to clean up the neglected grounds.
But, I managed to get:
1946 & 1947 dimes
1917 & 1936 pennies
and a 1925 nickel

The nickel was under a tree root in gravely soil and was pretty tough to retrieve. In doing so I put a ding on the old chief's face, ouch.

The dimes made #97 and #98 silvers so far for 2022!

Attachments

• 0607221852.jpeg
    0607221852.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74
  • 0607221852a.jpeg
    0607221852a.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Upvote 22

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a short bit in the morning and got the go-ahead to hunt a tiny front yard of a house built in 1948. Only had about a half hour to look as the owner had hired a landscaping crew to clean up the neglected grounds.
But, I managed to get:
1946 & 1947 dimes
1917 & 1936 pennies
and a 1925 nickel

The nickel was under a tree root in gravely soil and was pretty tough to retrieve. In doing so I put a ding on the old chief's face, ouch.

I don't know how you do it lol. I don't have 98 silvers metal detecting in all my years metal detecting combined. I think this year's silver is um zero lol. Maybe California is just hard to find old silver no idea but I have no luck with it

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But, I managed to get:
1946 & 1947 dimes
1917 & 1936 pennies
and a 1925 nickel

Nice Silver and buffalo! Congratulations

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But, I managed to get:
1946 & 1947 dimes
1917 & 1936 pennies
and a 1925 nickel

carpe diem! nice haul on a quick hunt, wtg

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aside from being beat up, the nickel is pretty amazing for being dug. most nickels come out of the ground brown from the tin content rusting. Where you dug that one, the gravel apparently has really good drainage. Great finds!

iAmMike

Oct 31, 2021
North Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 800, Manticore
Your buffalo actually has a date, nice! They come out of the ground over there in NV looking pretty good too. Here in GA, mine are all super dark, hard to see.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a very productive hunt. I admire your silver total for the year so far...wow!
PS- How come that nickel looks so good? Mine always look like crap. Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, I managed to get:
1946 & 1947 dimes
1917 & 1936 pennies
and a 1925 nickel

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, I managed to get:
1946 & 1947 dimes
1917 & 1936 pennies
and a 1925 nickel

Great recoveries....next in line will be elderly coins...

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how you do it lol. I don't have 98 silvers metal detecting in all my years metal detecting combined. I think this year's silver is um zero lol. Maybe California is just hard to find old silver no idea but I have no luck with it
The trick is to overcome the fear of rejection and start door knocking on old houses. I use the county assessors interactive map to figure out which houses are old and then go banging. It was really hard the first few times but gets much easier.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trick is to overcome the fear of rejection and start door knocking on old houses. I use the county assessors interactive map to figure out which houses are old and then go banging. It was really hard the first few times but gets much easier.
I don't know people in California just aren't that friendly.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a very productive hunt. I admire your silver total for the year so far...wow!
PS- How come that nickel looks so good? Mine always look like crap. Congrats!
They come out of the dirt a dark rusty/brown color. I put some vinegar in a little dish and put it in the freezer until it gets slushy, pour off the liquid, add a teaspoon of peroxide and drop in the nickel. If you leave it for 6-8 hours it'll come out looking bright silver. I just soak them for 30-40 minutes and rub off the tarnish with a wooden skewer.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya brother, I left Stockton in '93 for that very reason.
Definitely don't blame you for that, Stockton now is even worse. I have to go there from time to time when I visit my uncle

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talk about being under the gun- great effort getting those sweet coins so quickly!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread